GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How can I set the factory alarm to automatic?

Old 05-03-09, 02:41 PM
Tego1090
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I set the factory alarm to automatic?

Hey folks, I'm sure that someone here knows how to re-set my alarm. I just took it into Lexus of Pembroke Pines last month for servicing and they undid my factory alarm, which had previously been set to automatically arm after 30 seconds. Now I keep forgetting to manually arm the system. Can anyone here give me the code or process to reprogram my factory alarm to set automatically? The dealership is telling me to take time out of my busy day to bring it in to be reprogrammed; I'd rather learn how to do it. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-09, 02:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wasn't aware you could do this. So once you leave the car it locks in 30 seconds? I like this. What year is your GS??

I know you can set the way the doors lock/unlock when you touch the handle or use the keyless entry and also when the car is in motion if you want the doors to lock.
Old 05-03-09, 03:49 PM
MORE4MY 4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes this is true my car does it to after 30sec the doors lock
Old 05-03-09, 04:50 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ after all doors are closed I assume? I like this idea

Is this a dealer personalization or can we change it
Old 05-03-09, 06:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

let me get this straight. so you shut off the car, get out, and closed all the doors. walk away, and 30 seconds later the doors lock themselves automatically and alarm is on? i am not aware of that setting at all, didn't recall reading it anywhere else before. can you point out where it's mentioned in the manual / cbest settings?

i know if you unlock the doors and not open any of them, then 30 secs later alarm will arm again and lock all doors. but if one of the doors is open and then close, i thought the only way to arm the car is to press on the door or with remote

please clarify
Old 05-03-09, 06:53 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Yes, please do clarify because I kind of want to do this with my car as well.....thanks.
Old 05-03-09, 09:25 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Yes, its in the manual. It's called "automatic door lock" or similar which can be set by the dealer.
values possible: Off /30 / 60 (default factory setting) / 120.
Old 05-03-09, 11:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
Yes, its in the manual. It's called "automatic door lock" or similar which can be set by the dealer.
values possible: Off /30 / 60 (default factory setting) / 120.
can you confirm if you are looking at page 570 on customizable settings (08 gs350 manual)?

if so, then that's the setting for when the car is unlocked but no door open. the exact description is

"time elapsed before automatic door lock function is activated if door is not opened after being unlocked". default is 60, and you can set it to off, 30, or 120.

but if say you arrive at your destination, shut off and get out of the car, close the doors, the car will not arm the alarm or lock the doors after any time period. actually i just read through the section 1-2 of the manual on door luck and i couldn't find anything on that. any info would be great
Old 05-04-09, 05:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

In the Toyota alarms, this is call the active mode as oppose to the passive mode. I wasnt aware that this is an option on the Lexus alarms. In cars that do not have keyless ignition, this auto mode can lock your keys inside the car, thats why a lot of people dont turn it on. The GS actually have sensors that can detect your key inside the car, maybe it is smart enough not to lock your keys insdie the car.
Old 05-04-09, 06:47 AM
MORE4MY 4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How I found out that my car had this was that one day I was washing my car in front of my house and I had left the key in the house and I notice that the car ha lock it self , I was thinking I was going crazy until it happen again . I don't know if the dealer have to set it for you or if it just come that way .
Old 05-04-09, 07:35 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl

i know if you unlock the doors and not open any of them, then 30 secs later alarm will arm again and lock all doors. but if one of the doors is open and then close, i thought the only way to arm the car is to press on the door or with remote
This is how I understand it also
Old 05-04-09, 08:48 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am with henry on this one...
Old 05-04-09, 09:42 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah, i'm with henry on this one as well...factory alarm will lock doors only if the doors were locked previously, then you unlock the doors but have not opened them. if you open door then close it, factory alarm will not lock doors for you afterwards. i know this is true, coz several times i have left my car unlocked in my garage, and it was unlocked when i went to open the driver's door the next morning.
Old 05-04-09, 02:09 PM
maj75
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish that this was available.

My C6 Corvette had the keyless ignition and I loved it. If you left the keys in the car, it would not lock the door and would beep twice if you walked away. It would beep once and lock the doors if you took the key with you.

I got in the habit of being able to walk away from the car and it would lock itself. Now, I can't remember to lock the GS and I have left it unlocked at least once a day. I am sure I will get used to this in time, but I do wish there was a way to have auto lock. I saw this thread and got excited, but I guess I got my hopes up for nothing.
Old 05-04-09, 02:19 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maj75
I got in the habit of being able to walk away from the car and it would lock itself. Now, I can't remember to lock the GS and I have left it unlocked at least once a day. I am sure I will get used to this in time, but I do wish there was a way to have auto lock. I saw this thread and got excited, but I guess I got my hopes up for nothing.
you would need to get an aftermarket alarm system to lock your car by itself (passive arming). that is still an option for you if you wish, it's a matter whether you want to spend the extra money for the feature you want.

Last edited by Stormforge; 05-04-09 at 02:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How can I set the factory alarm to automatic?