GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What Brake Pads should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 11:32 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

hawk pads are good, ive heard good review about them on my other car forum. also EBC (green stuff or red stuff) are pretty good.
Old 04-07-09, 11:58 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
hawk pads are good, ive heard good review about them on my other car forum. also EBC (green stuff or red stuff) are pretty good.
i personally would pick hawk over ebc.
Old 04-08-09, 10:55 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i personally would pick hawk over ebc.
Don't know anything about the Hawk, never used them, but I've been running the EBC GreenStuff on my Mercedes for about 6 years and love them.
Old 04-09-09, 09:12 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Don't know anything about the Hawk, never used them, but I've been running the EBC GreenStuff on my Mercedes for about 6 years and love them.
whether one goes with hawk, ebc greenstuff, akebonos, endless, or some other aftermarket pad, it will be a matter of personal preference as all of these pads will provide better braking performance and less dust than oem pads.
Old 06-22-09, 07:12 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am at 52k and my front pads are soon to be grinding.
I have a question for all you that went with aftermarket pads:

did you reuse the current OEM shims and hardware?
or do the aftermarket pads come with their own new shims?

If I go with a new front OEM setup from Sewell it would be:
Low dust pads: $45 ($71 for what I have on there now)
Front shim kit: $48
Front brake fit kit: $15

thanks,
steviej
Old 06-22-09, 09:57 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by steviej

thanks,
steviej
aftermarket pads usually don't come with their own shims. you would reuse the oem shims and hardware. you could buy new oem shims to match your new aftermarket pads if you want to.
Old 06-22-09, 10:53 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Hawk makes a really good pad. I use them on my personal vehicles and our shop car right now.

If you are just doing street stuff, go with the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. They do well on braking, but are designed to stay quiet and dust less.

Feel free to PM us for info and pricing
Old 06-23-09, 09:12 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej

thanks,
steviej
Hello,
The new hardware should come with shims. Don't reuse anything. My mech told me that 3rd GS is to heavy for ceramic pads (not enough friction). He asked me if I wanted to try Posi Quiet pads and I'm glad I did. Good bite, no noise, low dust.

Don't be surprised if you need to change your rotors as well, just my 2c.
Old 07-18-09, 12:36 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I thought it'd be better to ask my questions here than to start a new thread...

I am planning on getting new brake pads and was pretty close to picking up Endless Super Street M-Sport pads. They seem to get great reviews but they are very pricey ($405 USD for front and rear).

There seems to be other pads that people are recommending here such as Hawk HPS, Hawk Ceramic, and Centric Posi-Quiet, among other brands. They seem to be much more reasonably priced (about $100 USD for the front/rear).

GS300.ru, which Posi-Quiet did you get? Semi-metallic or ceramic? How do you find the performance compared to OEM brakes? And how low is "low dust"? My rims get dirty after about 15 minutes of driving it seems with the OEM dusty brakes.

CircuitMS (or anyone else), how do the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads compare with the HPS pads? Similar to OEM brakes in terms of stopping ability? Similar dust levels from both pads or is one better than the other for that?

I guess my main criteria are low dust (I have the OEM dusty brakes) and good braking performance (equivalent, or as close to equivalent, to the dusty brakes). I'm pretty new to all this stuff (I had a Maxima before and always just used OEM Nissan parts) so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-19-09, 12:12 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS300.ru, which Posi-Quiet did you get? Semi-metallic or ceramic? How do you find the performance compared to OEM brakes? And how low is "low dust"? My rims get dirty after about 15 minutes of driving it seems with the OEM dusty brakes.

I have got Semi-metallic, they are on a pair with stock performance wise. My Mech told me that ceramic will overheat a lot as a new GS is quite heavy. My new MRRs need cleaning once a week to be spotless again. Also dust is not black but more like light brown, I guess it makes it less visible as well. Good luck with your choice. The brackes don't last very long on our cars, try a new set each time.
Old 07-21-09, 09:48 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
CircuitMS (or anyone else), how do the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads compare with the HPS pads? Similar to OEM brakes in terms of stopping ability? Similar dust levels from both pads or is one better than the other for that?
Both Hawk HPS and Performance Ceramic pads are low dust, but I would say Performance Ceramic would be the least amount of dust, based on product description (ultra-low dust).

HPS is more performance oriented (ie: better braking) than the Performance Ceramic. Either Hawk pad will perform at the minimum, similar to OEM braking in terms of stopping ability; but i would think HPS should perform better than Peformance Ceramic.

Your choice depends on which is more important to you: better braking or minimal dust. If it is the latter, go with Performance Ceramic. If you want better braking ability, go with HPS. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either pad.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php
Old 07-21-09, 04:03 PM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im considering switching to new pads on the front of my '06 gs430....the oem pads are sooo dusty...i have almost half life left but cant stand cleaning my wheels everyday (literally!)

i used axis with driled/slotted rotors on my 2gs430 and they were pretty good....going to try a different ceramic this time
Old 07-21-09, 04:36 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ECUgs430
Im considering switching to new pads on the front of my '06 gs430....the oem pads are sooo dusty...i have almost half life left but cant stand cleaning my wheels everyday (literally!)

i used axis with driled/slotted rotors on my 2gs430 and they were pretty good....going to try a different ceramic this time
same here Im getting really tired of cleaning my wheels 3 times a week.
Old 07-21-09, 07:06 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Chancellor
same here Im getting really tired of cleaning my wheels 3 times a week.
then don't. just clean them once a week like i do!
Old 07-22-09, 11:09 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently they don't make Hawk HPS pads for an 08 GS350. Pity, I was looking forward to trying them.

I don't know much about brakes in general but I heard that ceramic pads could possibly cause increased wear on the rotors. Is there any truth behind this?

I am thinking of Posi-Quiet semi-metallic pads. I'd like the ceramic because of the decreased brake dust but I think the semi-metallic pads perform better than the ceramic pads, right?

And I don't know how you guys can find time to wash the wheels once a week. I'm lucky if I wash mine once a month! (Putting in the hours at work + no driveway + perfect golf season = neglecting my baby )

Quick Reply: What Brake Pads should I get?