GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus GS Recall on 2006 2007 models Just annouced

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 01:05 PM
pdivizzle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
pdivizzle, welcome.

we need people like you!

so what are the chances that you guys lose a screw while taking apart our junk?

are the inexperienced guys under any supervision?

I'll be taking mine to Longo.
Thank you! =]

anyhow, ive actually never lost a bolt performing one of these campaigns, not even on an ls460 and i can assure you that the technicians performing this job will be experienced and no "lube techs" will be handling the concerns.

An alignment is also included as part of the 9lc power steering link campaign

Last edited by pdivizzle; 01-24-09 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-24-09, 01:11 PM
pdivizzle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ProfesrLEX
ouch. i feel sorry for lexus
actually you really shouldnt feel sorry for lexus as this is a voluntary campaign on their part to prevent any such negative occurences from happening.

i believe there was an issue with 18 cars total in the united states ranging from all 3 conerns... so lexus voluntarily recalled all possibly affected vehicles to prevent it from being a government mandated recall.

actually this should be considered positive rep on lexus' behalf. shows how responsible of a company they really are.

you will also be receiving a full tank of gas when you bring your vehicle in for the campaign.

some dealerships are also detailing cars for free so ive heard
Old 01-24-09, 01:34 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pdivizzle

I have problem with my steering for almost the last 12,000 miles. I have 37,000 miles on the car. There is a minor shimmy in the steering that you can feel on some roads that won't go away no matter what tires have or even with replacement of rims with new ones and even with road force balance over 10 times. I went through 4 sets of tires and the final ones are the michelin primacy on my GS300 with 18 rim rims. Car was smooth and fine before. The car is ok but at times would have more road feel transmitted to steering wheel on roads with small rough surfaces as if u where moving ur finger over the surface alone and it being transmitted to the steering wheel. On highways the car is smooth on new roads but the steering transmit feeling of irregular contours and surfaces from the older highways and some new tarmac highways as if there is a bushing problem or a steering damper that is not suppressing normal road vibes even if the tire/rims are fully new and road force to 8 and 6 lbs or less. Is this assoicated with the steering rack problem or damaged bushing or steering damper problem?
Old 01-24-09, 02:02 PM
pdivizzle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rexus300
pdivizzle

I have problem with my steering for almost the last 12,000 miles. I have 37,000 miles on the car. There is a minor shimmy in the steering that you can feel on some roads that won't go away no matter what tires have or even with replacement of rims with new ones and even with road force balance over 10 times. I went through 4 sets of tires and the final ones are the michelin primacy on my GS300 with 18 rim rims. Car was smooth and fine before. The car is ok but at times would have more road feel transmitted to steering wheel on roads with small rough surfaces as if u where moving ur finger over the surface alone and it being transmitted to the steering wheel. On highways the car is smooth on new roads but the steering transmit feeling of irregular contours and surfaces from the older highways and some new tarmac highways as if there is a bushing problem or a steering damper that is not suppressing normal road vibes even if the tire/rims are fully new and road force to 8 and 6 lbs or less. Is this assoicated with the steering rack problem or damaged bushing or steering damper problem?
where do i start?

the campaign applies to the steering racks as some have been known to lock-up. however, since the rack is one complete assembly, motor and all, i would say first check your vin# and find out if the campaign applies. if it does, have the rack replaced, and see if the problem persists.

if the problem persists, then you A) either found that it is a characteristic or your model (i would drive another one on the freeway and see if its the same) or B) bring it back to the dealer and have them find the problem.

luckily with these new cars without hydraulic power steering units, there isnt much going on. basically a steering column, linkage, and power steering rack assembly. oh, and a computer.

i would check your vin first and have the unit replaced if it falls in the range, then proceed with your concern if it continues to act up
Old 01-24-09, 04:28 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdivizzle
no negative performance changes.

the is250 i did this campaign on actually felt faster afterwards, but it could have just been the butt dyno
Thank You!
Old 01-24-09, 08:24 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gs9351
Can someone please confirm, if you had the fuel pipe replacement completed in December 2007, you need to get this recall service again????
according to the response from my dealership, which was posted earlier in this exact thread, the current campaign is totally separate from the 12/07 campaign.

Originally Posted by gs9351
This is not only an inconvenience to Lexus owners, but is also costing them a fortune to once again service over 100,000 affected vehicles.

What would happen if I don't complete the service?
an inconvenience would be having a faulty fuel pipe fail and igniting the engine bay, wouldn't you think?

steviej
Old 01-25-09, 12:32 AM
ekc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pdivizzle

you will also be receiving a full tank of gas when you bring your vehicle in for the campaign.

some dealerships are also detailing cars for free so ive heard
REALLY?? I just picked up my car from Longo Lexus and they did neither.

Actually I'm pretty pissed off about my experience. The service rep insisted that I will only get a rental car instead of a Lexus loaner, because he claimed this is a Lexus recall and they didn't cover for the loaner. So with the rental, I still had to pay for whatever gas I used.

So I picked up the car today. I didn't look at the invoice until I got home, but it stated that I received a car wash and a full replacement on the brakes (pads and rotors, because for some reason it had been squealing during soft braking). However my car was still dirty as hell and my brakes were still squealing during soft braking...

Overall it's been a disappointing experience...maybe my expectations should have been lower??
Old 01-25-09, 08:21 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked up my car yesterday after having the service campaign work done. I was also very disappointed there were dirty black stains in 3 spots on the carpet and one of my wheels had been scraped. I didn't see the wheel scrape while there but I told the manager about the dirty floor. I left a message for my service rep about both issues. I intend to take this complaint higher because this is the second time one of my wheels were scraped by them.

On another note...I've read comments from several people about the service campaigns signalling that Lexus has gone down in quality. Maybe quality has reduced but the few campaigns we've had are nothing compared to others. I was just reading a thread on mbworld.com about the campaigns for the new s-class. One of their members started a sticky thread to keep track of them. I counted 60 before I stopped counting. Over 60??!!
SOunds like Lexus is still king of the quality hill to me.
Old 01-25-09, 11:04 AM
pdivizzle
Driver School Candidate

i am very sorry to hear from some bad experiences, and i cant do much of anything and speak on the behalf of other dealerships as i have no control over them.

i used to own a 2007 honda civic si...the transmission was horrible in that car. multiple gear grinds..they tore down the trans, rebuilt it. one month later it happens again.. clutch master bleeds out, left me stranded. the clutch slave was replaced twice, interior was falling apart after a year. honda in no way backed up their car. after almost two years of dealing with the garbage i got fed up and cut my losses. got rid of the pos and got a subaru sti.

lexus backs their cars more than any other company ive seen.
Old 01-25-09, 11:46 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I picked up my car yesterday after having the service campaign work done. I was also very disappointed there were dirty black stains in 3 spots on the carpet and one of my wheels had been scraped. I didn't see the wheel scrape while there but I told the manager about the dirty floor. I left a message for my service rep about both issues. I intend to take this complaint higher because this is the second time one of my wheels were scraped by them.

On another note...I've read comments from several people about the service campaigns signalling that Lexus has gone down in quality. Maybe quality has reduced but the few campaigns we've had are nothing compared to others. I was just reading a thread on mbworld.com about the campaigns for the new s-class. One of their members started a sticky thread to keep track of them. I counted 60 before I stopped counting. Over 60??!!
SOunds like Lexus is still king of the quality hill to me.
I can't help but wonder if your wheel scrapes are happening in their car wash.

On a side note, the fuel pipe problem is to be expected. For example, the ethanol fuels have totally turned the boating scene upside down. Fiberglass fuel tanks can't handle the ethanol, gaskets and seals are failing, major refits are having to be done, etc. This is an case of where the progress of science went faster than the technology at hand to contain the science. It is not just Lexus. Many internal combustion engine markets are experiencing the new onset of problems brought on by the ethanol mixtures. As for the rear caliper bolts and EPS assembly, these things happena and Lexus is doing this as a precaution and not because of a high rate of failures. Kudos to them.

steviej
Old 01-25-09, 01:01 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej
On a side note, the fuel pipe problem is to be expected. For example, the ethanol fuels have totally turned the boating scene upside down. Fiberglass fuel tanks can't handle the ethanol, gaskets and seals are failing, major refits are having to be done, etc.

steviej
wow.
i wonder how much damage is already done in our cars. so it mainly affects seals and gaskets? the metal and alloys are still fine?

i don't know if there's much ethanol in california gas.

and Ice350, dirty spots = typical lexus service
I've had my share of that crap. You just have to suck it up and clean it up yourself. or you can place a drop cloth on the floor before you leave the car with them next time.
Old 01-25-09, 01:04 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bringing mine in tomorrow for 9LA and 9LB... according to my service advisor, those are the only 2 I needed done. Will double check when I drop it off.
Old 01-25-09, 02:46 PM
pdivizzle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dunnojack
wow.
i wonder how much damage is already done in our cars. so it mainly affects seals and gaskets? the metal and alloys are still fine?

i don't know if there's much ethanol in california gas.

and Ice350, dirty spots = typical lexus service
I've had my share of that crap. You just have to suck it up and clean it up yourself. or you can place a drop cloth on the floor before you leave the car with them next time.
incorrect, it affects the seals, gaskets, and the metal fuel rails. that ethanol crap eats through the fuel rails over time.

and about the dirty spots, i am once again embarrassed. ive always been taught that when working on a car, no matter how fast you are being, you have to be careful with another persons property. then again, i started in automotive when i was 15. im 20 now, and i always have my basics in my head. others arent so careful
Old 01-26-09, 09:16 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are fixing mine today. It looks like it's taking them one full day to fix it. The rear brake calipers are being inspected, so it's not an automatic replacement for that particular part.

Fuel delivery pipe replacement
Electric power steering link assembly replaced
Old 01-26-09, 09:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I got a cal from the dealership today at the house and on my cell . They must be hard up for business, but can use the safety excuse. Money is money. LOL

Quick Reply: Lexus GS Recall on 2006 2007 models Just annouced