GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus GS Recall on 2006 2007 models Just annouced

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 05:38 AM
BoingR6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Rattle after Service Campaign

If you guys have been reading from the earlier pages, I had 2 of 3 service campaigns that affected the car completed in February. I also advised Lexus that I was having dash rattles/squeaks, and the driver side mirror not returning to its original position after backing up.

Dropped off the GS yesterday after parts came in. So hopefully by Tuesday of next week, i'll have an update after picking up and driving the car.

I was mainly having squeaks and not necessarily the "rattle". It was distinct from the passenger side and could be heard on minor road bumps, regardless of temperature outside. I also noticed a mild squeak from the cluster gauge towards the window. This was heard mostly on bumpy roads and turning.

I agree with a lot of the people here, ALL cars are going to have imperfections. For the price I paid when I bought this car, the way it drives, the entire feel, and the service I am getting from Lexus, this is just a minor inconvenience. Actually its a great way to test drive the RX, and ES, which I've been lucky enough to have experienced. (Oh, and those are quiet as hell). LOL.

I'll update next week on results.

Thanks
Old 03-12-09, 05:28 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Wow.... my recall JUST arrived today.... fuel rails and rear brake pin.... not the steering (9LC). I will see what their loaner schedule looks like for next week at my dealer and get it in.... man, I was starting to think they forgot about me & the recall...... LOL......
Old 03-13-09, 10:46 AM
Hank8
Driver School Candidate

I dropped off my wife's GS at the dealer 2 days ago and was told it takes at least several days to complete. Unfortunately, the recalls caused them to use up all 130 Lexus loaner cars that they had in stock and they ended up giving me a POS car from Hertz. I wish they would've told me beforehand when I made an appointment to bring in the GS. I would've waited until a Lexus loaner was available before bringing it in.
Old 03-13-09, 01:03 PM
sanguine
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hank8
I dropped off my wife's GS at the dealer 2 days ago and was told it takes at least several days to complete. Unfortunately, the recalls caused them to use up all 130 Lexus loaner cars that they had in stock and they ended up giving me a POS car from Hertz. I wish they would've told me beforehand when I made an appointment to bring in the GS. I would've waited until a Lexus loaner was available before bringing it in.
Which dealership did you go to? I went to the Mission Viejo Park Place Lexus and were able to accommodate my needs. In fact, they did my service campaign to change my fuel line the same day.
Old 03-13-09, 02:31 PM
Hank8
Driver School Candidate

Tustin Lexus. I believe they also own Newport Lexus as well. I wonder if they could've brought over a loaner from there. Anyhow, I just got a phone call earlier and they're almost done. It took 3 days to complete all 3 recalls.
Old 03-13-09, 02:39 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

I just got the call too. God damn this is by far the most I've had to deal with the dealership for a car.. and its a Lexus. Sigh
Old 03-13-09, 06:12 PM
BoingR6
Driver School Candidate

Default UPDATE: Dash Rattle & Driver Mirror

Just an update since my last visit which completed 2 of 3 service campaigns.
- Rear rotor
- Fuel line replacement.

When the car was in there I had them order the necessary parts for the dash rattle. The parts came in and I dropped the car off on Thursday 3-5, and got a call to pick up my car today. While the car was in there, they noticed that the driver side mirror was tilting upon reverse and normal position randomly. They suspected a part was to be replaced.
UPDATE:

- TSIB: Dashboard rattles lacks insulation completed repair per TSIB LSB 0040-08. Several parts were used: Noise kit, louver sub-assy cow, stay instrument pan, clip instrument pan, insulated instrument panel.
All above work was road tested, take apart, trouble shoot, road test, and completed to satisfaction. I drove the car home on my usual route, and the whole dashboard was quiet. LIKE IT WAS MEANT TO BE. All in all, this would have cost me $1243.00, but was taken care of by the great service of Lexus of Queens.

- Internal failure with mirror motor. REPLACED. Parts: Mirror sub-assy out. Traced problem to drivers side mirror intermittent open circuit in electric motor drivers side mirror assy must be replaced R&R mirror assy. This concern was also taken care of. And now when I go to reverse it actual tilts to a position where I can actually see the curb or what not. This would have run me (HOLY COW) $1258.

I do however have a question. I bought this car second hand in Oct of 08 at 56K miles. There was no existing warranty, and I didn't buy one either. Is this something that Lexus will warranty? Free of charge to the customer? This is where the warranty and no warranty is gray to me?

I am very satisfied with Lexus and the way they've handled all the service recall/campaigns to date. They've also handled several small things along the way, ALL AT NO CHARGE. Lexus of Queens' customer service, communication, attitude, valet service, and loaner service are an A++ in my book.
Old 03-16-09, 09:45 AM
Hank8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pdivizzle
where do i start?

the campaign applies to the steering racks as some have been known to lock-up. however, since the rack is one complete assembly, motor and all, i would say first check your vin# and find out if the campaign applies. if it does, have the rack replaced, and see if the problem persists.

if the problem persists, then you A) either found that it is a characteristic or your model (i would drive another one on the freeway and see if its the same) or B) bring it back to the dealer and have them find the problem.

luckily with these new cars without hydraulic power steering units, there isnt much going on. basically a steering column, linkage, and power steering rack assembly. oh, and a computer.

i would check your vin first and have the unit replaced if it falls in the range, then proceed with your concern if it continues to act up

So I picked up my wife's '06 GS300 after the repairs were done on the 3 recalls, but there's an issue. Before the steering assembly recall repair was done, the steering wheel was quite light-weighted and effortless to turn (even at parking lot speeds), but after the repair the steering effort went up noticeably. If I was the main driver, I wouldn't mind, but this is my wife's car and I'm sure she wouldn't want to live with it. I'm not talking real heavy steering feel, but definitely at least 3x the effort is required to turn the wheel versus pre-recall conditions. I'm going to take the car back in to have them look at it.

On the plus side, it did fix the slack in the steering assembly that the car had before. It had trouble re-centering itself at high speeds in which I had to nudge the steering wheel back to the center position after coming out of a sweeping turn in either direction. Does anyone else have this same problem. BTW, they filled up the gas tank, washed the car and vacuumed the interior before giving it back to me. As for the rental car that they gave me, the Hertz guy said that I didn't really have to refill the gas as the dealer will do it for me if I don't, but I did put back in almost as much as I used.
Old 03-17-09, 08:03 AM
Johnnyz4
Driver

Originally Posted by BoingR6
Just an update since my last visit which completed 2 of 3 service campaigns.
- Rear rotor
- Fuel line replacement.

When the car was in there I had them order the necessary parts for the dash rattle. The parts came in and I dropped the car off on Thursday 3-5, and got a call to pick up my car today. While the car was in there, they noticed that the driver side mirror was tilting upon reverse and normal position randomly. They suspected a part was to be replaced.
UPDATE:

- TSIB: Dashboard rattles lacks insulation completed repair per TSIB LSB 0040-08. Several parts were used: Noise kit, louver sub-assy cow, stay instrument pan, clip instrument pan, insulated instrument panel.
All above work was road tested, take apart, trouble shoot, road test, and completed to satisfaction. I drove the car home on my usual route, and the whole dashboard was quiet. LIKE IT WAS MEANT TO BE. All in all, this would have cost me $1243.00, but was taken care of by the great service of Lexus of Queens.

- Internal failure with mirror motor. REPLACED. Parts: Mirror sub-assy out. Traced problem to drivers side mirror intermittent open circuit in electric motor drivers side mirror assy must be replaced R&R mirror assy. This concern was also taken care of. And now when I go to reverse it actual tilts to a position where I can actually see the curb or what not. This would have run me (HOLY COW) $1258.

I do however have a question. I bought this car second hand in Oct of 08 at 56K miles. There was no existing warranty, and I didn't buy one either. Is this something that Lexus will warranty? Free of charge to the customer? This is where the warranty and no warranty is gray to me?

I am very satisfied with Lexus and the way they've handled all the service recall/campaigns to date. They've also handled several small things along the way, ALL AT NO CHARGE. Lexus of Queens' customer service, communication, attitude, valet service, and loaner service are an A++ in my book.
are you saying the fixed the rattle for free?
Old 03-17-09, 08:12 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had the recalls done on my GS at Lexus of Las Vegas. I am very satisfied even though I dont know see/feel any changes, although my steering takes a little more effort now (I kind of like it). I got a full of tank of gas, and the tech also got rid of my crappy tpms light, had a ES350 and IS250 as a loaner, and I gotta say, the GS is in a class of its own compared to those two.....
Old 03-17-09, 08:24 AM
STP
Rookie

Hey Johnny,

They fixed the rattle and the left mirror for free. Thats where I'm a bit unclear, is this standard for Lexus? I don't have an existing warranty or extended or third party warranty.
Old 03-22-09, 02:05 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Just got mine done and they didn't fill the fuel tank. It seems to have different feel to the gas pedal now for some reason, as it doesn't sink down as much and doesn't cause the car to jerk at start but accelerates very smoothly. Maybe they reset the ECU and caused this? I'm not complaining though...
Old 03-22-09, 12:46 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm Im gonna have to inquire. What exactly does ethanol do and how long does it take to damage any fuel system? I am assuming fuel delivery pipes now have to be aluminum and not plastic or rubber lined?

Damn I didnt want anyone undoing my motor, cause they never put it back the way they found it.... (sigh) ..... I guess I'll make the call.
Old 03-22-09, 01:03 PM
hughh
Pole Position

They replaced the aluminum pipes with nickel alloy pipes. Too early to know what other damages ethanol can do to our cars!

I understand some BMW owners have had to replace fuel pumps at their own expense when gas prices went over $4/gal. Ethanol became cheaper than gas and some operators were using more that the 10% blend!

Last edited by hughh; 03-22-09 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 08:34 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

I left my car this morning, for the 3 issues. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't really read the paperwork that came in the mail, and was taken aback when he said they are going to replace the steering rack. I am really nervous. I can't stand to have original parts removed.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS Recall on 2006 2007 models Just annouced