GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Got XM in your GS? -> I've 2 questions PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 10:14 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got XM in your GS? -> I've 2 questions PLEASE

It turns out that one of my favorite features in my 2008 GS (with ML, although I don't think that matters much) is the XM radio. What I like about XM raido, which I've never listen to before, is the variety and types of its content. I listen about 1/2 of the time to classical music and 1/2 of the time to the various news channels (CNN, FOX, POTUS, etc.)

But I do have 2 problems, which may be need fixing, adjusting or giving up on.

1. The sound levels on the AM, FM, CD, DVD, etc. are all about the same except for the XM, which is about 8-10 units lower. Now, since I listen mainly to XM, when I switch to some other sources, I almost jump out of the car since it is so loud.

Are you having this problem too or is it just me? And, if you did have it, were you able to get the dealer to fix it or were you able to make some adjustment in the car to fix it?

2. The music channels have good dynamic range, so the music sounds good and the announcers on the music channels sound quite realistic, about the same as FM radio and better than AM radio. But, on the news channels, the voice is very unrealistic -- something like the tinny sound of an early digital phone. It isn't even as good as AM radio.

Do you have this problem too or is it just me? If you have it, what, if anything were you able to do to fix it? (I was able to make it more bearable, but not even as good as AM radio, by turning off the surround sound and droping the mid-tone setting down 2-3 clicks.)

Advice please.
Old 02-22-08, 02:03 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

the compression on the news talk and stuff like that isn't as good as on music channels as to preserve bandwidth for them. Therefore, news and talk isn't super top quality.
Old 02-22-08, 02:34 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Hmmmm..... I don't have either of these issues with my setup. The volume levels across XM
and regular FM radio (or AM) are rather consistent.... nothing widely different as you describe. Also, no tinny sound either.

I suspect it's either a radio issue (hardware) or some XM signal quality quirks unique to your area of the country. Not all areas get great XM reception.... but my betting $ is on a hardware issue.... I'd definitely listen to other XM installs in your area in a car like your's and see if they all show the same issues.... then take your's in for a fix if needed.
Old 02-22-08, 05:37 AM
silver2000
Rookie

I have the same low level issue with Sirius in my 08

intend to ask the dealer about it
Old 02-22-08, 07:26 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I have sirius not xm but do notice the diff in volume levels. i have it more cranked up for sirius than am or fm. i've gotten to where i rarely listen to fm/am anymore so it doesnt bother me much but it is there. I have noticed the news/talk channels aren't quite as crisp sounding but not to the degree you seem to be having. Might be worth asking for a new tuner, just to be sure.
Old 02-22-08, 08:15 AM
DUFF Ace
Rookie

Mine is consistent as well through all bands including XM. I would have to agree with Bob and say it's either an installation error or a bad unit. Good luck.
Old 02-22-08, 03:55 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The Godfather
the compression on the news talk and stuff like that isn't as good as on music channels as to preserve bandwidth for them. Therefore, news and talk isn't super top quality.
I just wish the voices sounded as realistic as they do on AM radio, not exactly a very high standard.
Old 02-22-08, 04:45 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

i never listen to anything but sirius, sometimes switch to CD... CD is a little louder than sirius but not much at all.

I dont have ML and I have ASL on and DSP set to the 2 front seats.
Old 02-22-08, 06:02 PM
Franknyc30
Driver

i havent noticed the difference. so maybe it isnt there on my end.
Old 02-23-08, 09:58 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Question How do I get to the DSP screen?

Originally Posted by AlBoston
i never listen to anything but sirius, sometimes switch to CD... CD is a little louder than sirius but not much at all.

I dont have ML and I have ASL on and DSP set to the 2 front seats.
I've been in other Lexuses and seen the DSP screen in order to set where you want the sound imaged best, e.g. the 2 front seats.

I don't remember seeing DSP on my 2008 GS. Is it because I have ML? Or is DPS there somewhere, and I'm not looking at the right screen that will allow me to switch to it? If so, how do I get to the DSP screen?
Old 02-23-08, 11:36 AM
hammer45
Driver School Candidate

I've got XM in my 07 w/ML and have no inconsistent sounds issues.
Old 02-24-08, 10:05 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by silver2000
I have the same low level issue with Sirius in my 08

intend to ask the dealer about it
I would also like to know if there is an adjustment, as my XM radio has a lot less volume at the same setting. This is quite annoying when you have the XM 'cranked' up and switch to FM. It will scare the bejesus out of your passengers.
Old 02-24-08, 02:21 PM
sf7307
Pole Position

I checked mine yesterday after reading your post, and the only volume level difference is that CDs are somewhat louder than XM (but not so much that you get blasted out when you switch to CD) -- AM, FM and XM are pretty much comparable.
Old 02-25-08, 08:30 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same concern in my 99 GS. I have XM, and it does require considerably more volume than any other venue. I simply lower the sound before switching to the next format and go on.

I don't think there is any way to make XM equitable with the others. My situation is worse, because I had to have a FM modulator installed on my NON-XM READY radio. Your systems have to be better than mine since you have XM READY RADIOS. I have to go through the FM band and tune the radio to a station not used by a FM station, but when I crank up the XM, I am happy. It is so CLEAR!

I LOVE XM!!
Old 02-25-08, 01:54 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gserep1
I have the same concern in my 99 GS. I have XM, and it does require considerably more volume than any other venue. I simply lower the sound before switching to the next format and go on.

I don't think there is any way to make XM equitable with the others. My situation is worse, because I had to have a FM modulator installed on my NON-XM READY radio. Your systems have to be better than mine since you have XM READY RADIOS. I have to go through the FM band and tune the radio to a station not used by a FM station, but when I crank up the XM, I am happy. It is so CLEAR!

I LOVE XM!!
Lexus already has the audio system designed so that the equilizer settings (base, mid-range and tremble) are done independently for the various components, e.g. if I reduce the mid-range on the XM, the setting for the FM and the CD is unchanged. It would be so easy for Lexus to also allow an independent sound volume setting for each component along with the equilizer settings. Too bad they didn't.

Quick Reply: Got XM in your GS? -> I've 2 questions PLEASE