GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dash Rattles & Creaks TSIB's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 06:27 PM
mrgs430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this something that the dealer takes care off, even after warranty expired?? Have an 06 gs430, that sounds worst than my 1955 vw beetle..
Old 12-13-09, 10:11 AM
magmasilk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mjb2124
Do you have the TSB numbers handy?

I'm taking my car in on Monday to have them look at dash squeaks/ticks (second time for this), sunroof squeaking and brakes squeaking (the brakes are the worst part right now...they are loud!).
squeaky brakes
TSIB L-SB-0040-09 Replaced front disc rotors, pads and shim kit.
43512-30340 DISC. FR RH
43516-30030 DISC. FR LH
04465-30400 PAD KIT. DISC BRA
04945-22152 SHIM KIT.ANTI SQU

dash rattle
TSIB L-SB0040-08 JUL 08 Interior - Instrument Panel Rattle

i found this on CL ...not sure if t is correct but the dealer looked it up in their system.
Old 12-13-09, 11:37 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have had the rattles worked out after a fiasco at the dealership but now I have these damned noisy brakes. Its so god damn embarrassing when you stop at a light in Lexus and the car is making noise louder than the **** kickers pick up next to me with a gun rack in the rear window and the mud on the sides of the truck. They tried to "clean" the brakes for me the last 2 visits and it has done nothing.
Old 12-13-09, 05:07 PM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by magmasilk
squeaky brakes
TSIB L-SB-0040-09 Replaced front disc rotors, pads and shim kit.
43512-30340 DISC. FR RH
43516-30030 DISC. FR LH
04465-30400 PAD KIT. DISC BRA
04945-22152 SHIM KIT.ANTI SQU

dash rattle
TSIB L-SB0040-08 JUL 08 Interior - Instrument Panel Rattle

i found this on CL ...not sure if t is correct but the dealer looked it up in their system.
Great, thanks!

I'll make a copy and give it to the service manager.
Old 12-14-09, 06:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have had the rattles worked out after a fiasco at the dealership but now I have these damned noisy brakes. Its so god damn embarrassing when you stop at a light in Lexus and the car is making noise louder than the **** kickers pick up next to me with a gun rack in the rear window and the mud on the sides of the truck. They tried to "clean" the brakes for me the last 2 visits and it has done nothing.
Just go get some after market pads, what ever you do, dont replace it with another set of Lexus pads.
Old 03-29-10, 07:26 PM
jdaniels07
Driver School Candidate

does the dash have to be disassembled to fix the rattle around/near the speaker in the center on top of the dash?

we have an appointment in 2 days to take our 07 in, but if they have to take the dash apart we may just turn up the radio and forget it. that's the only rattle we have out of the dash so we don't want to open up more.

I find it hard to believe that if I have to replace that speaker the dash would need to be disassembled.

JD
Old 03-29-10, 07:50 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone fix the driver door rattle? any tsb's out for them? i have like 4 to 5 rattles. Driver door,center console, up and bottom (most likely windshield rattle) sunroof rattle and i think passenger side door rattle. Any and all tsb's would be highly appreciated. I have searched around the whole forums but only found a diy for center console.
Old 03-29-10, 07:51 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

JD, yes taking the dash out is required for what you describe. If they damage anything they have to repair it. My dealership has damaged my interior but has worked w me to make things right.

Alternative is to try a DIY solution of spraying 3M silicone wet lube spray 8877into the affected area. You can also try pushing thick black felt very tightly between the dash and windshield. Of course, you can do both as I have.

The DIY techniques are a temp solution that you have to keep manipulating if/when the rattle comes back.

I have had mine at the dealer now 3 times (dash removed) only to have it still make some noise...it is 80% better, though. For the remaining noises, I am supplementing w the DIY techniques to get it to 90%+ better.

If you have not had it in for a TSB on this, I might try it...esp if it is stil under warranty. Just inspect your car thoroughly before you leave the service bay.

I think it would be bad advice to just say do the DIY approach as it could get worse over time...and you have only a limited time to take advantage of the warranty. Just my opinion here obviously.

Good luck...if you take it to the dealer, this complaint will not surprise them (sadly).
Old 03-29-10, 08:11 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alternative is to try a DIY solution of spraying 3M silicone wet lube spray 8877into the affected area. You can also try pushing thick black felt very tightly between the dash and windshield. Of course, you can do both as I have.
Did that help at all? i was thinking about it because i dont want anything major taken out by the dealer for it. I just don't trust them.
Old 03-29-10, 10:16 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

GS yes it did help but as I said it has limitations...ie rattle may come back.

I would take different approaches including dash removal w DIY.

Such a great car if it werent for these fit issues.
Old 03-30-10, 01:47 PM
jdaniels07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MelYW
JD, yes taking the dash out is required for what you describe. If they damage anything they have to repair it. My dealership has damaged my interior but has worked w me to make things right.

The DIY techniques are a temp solution that you have to keep manipulating if/when the rattle comes back.

I have had mine at the dealer now 3 times (dash removed) only to have it still make some noise...it is 80% better, though. For the remaining noises, I am supplementing w the DIY techniques to get it to 90%+ better.

If you have not had it in for a TSB on this, I might try it...esp if it is stil under warranty. Just inspect your car thoroughly before you leave the service bay.

I think it would be bad advice to just say do the DIY approach as it could get worse over time...and you have only a limited time to take advantage of the warranty. Just my opinion here obviously.

Good luck...if you take it to the dealer, this complaint will not surprise them (sadly).
Thanks for the input. Yes, it's still under the warranty so we'll give it a try tomorrow.

JD
Old 03-30-10, 04:50 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

jd, good luck and let us know how it comes out. Again, make sure you give your interior and exterior a good look before pulling away. They should address any misfit issues, unintented scratches/dents.

I just didnt want you to get too close to your warranty expiration before wanting to take it in...this way you can have them try supplemented by your efforts (as needed); and if the noise returns you will have enough time for the dealer to take another crack at it (as an option).
Old 03-30-10, 07:28 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flunkie
Windshield back
Thanks.. I think this is what happening with my car.. any more "detail" shot on this part? Thanks.
Old 04-02-10, 07:16 AM
jdaniels07
Driver School Candidate

Got the car back on yesterday. So far all looks and sound good.

Below is what was done to address the dash rattles. The service advisor stated that they had a dash kit and they had the car for about 2 days to get it taken apart and back together.

I'm noting below what I could make since of from the cryptic invoice:
-------------------
Cause: Loose, Poor adhesion
NV8040 Instrument panel rattle r&r instrument panel safet
4 55345-30060 clip, instrument pan
1 55328-50170 stay, instrument pan
1 08231-00801 noise kit

Performed TSB L-SB-0040-08
R and R instrument panel safety pad and replaced all 5 clips. Installed HVAC duct and defroster nozzel.

JD
Old 04-02-10, 10:57 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

JD, good to know that things are smooth sailing. Stay on top of it however as when it turns cold it may return.

Quick Reply: Dash Rattles & Creaks TSIB's