GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 11:14 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
Yeah, like clockwork the rubbing/creaking noise is back. It's nice to be able to gauge the change of seasons by the interior creaking in my car.
Sure ain't winter til your car starts squeaking!
Old 12-01-07, 11:50 AM
gs9351
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Wondering how many of you notice an improvement as you drive the car and the interior warms up? Seems as though it's worse on "cold start-up," but after the first few miles or so, the ticks seem to stop...or at least they are not as noticeable! Althought I am tempted, I've yet to bring my GS in for surgery after reading all the horror stories here. I guess I'll have it addressed by the service department, should other repairs be needed in or around the dash area, possibly in the future...which will probably be never!
Old 12-01-07, 12:28 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs9351
Wondering how many of you notice an improvement as you drive the car and the interior warms up? Seems as though it's worse on "cold start-up," but after the first few miles or so, the ticks seem to stop...or at least they are not as noticeable!
Yup this was happening to me also when the temps outside were in the 30-40 degree range. But last week when it got under 10 degrees, the creaking never stopped.
Old 12-01-07, 12:35 PM
2001LexusIS300
Pole Position

no rattles yet!! :crosses fingers:, but coming from a s2k thats the king of rattles , having a softop, stiff *** suepension, being a honda. Its like im in heaven!!
Old 12-01-07, 12:51 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2001LexusIS300
no rattles yet!! :crosses fingers:, but coming from a s2k thats the king of rattles , having a softop, stiff *** suepension, being a honda. Its like im in heaven!!
Being that you're in So Cal., the temps won't be cold enough to produce much noise. Take your car into the Yosemite area in about January and you'll probably see what we're talking about.
Old 12-02-07, 01:14 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Ok so I pinpointed the creak from coming where the dash and the windshield meet, on the right hand side. I tucked in a piece of carpet used for subwoofer boxes and it took care of it.
Old 12-04-07, 02:23 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Well, I picked up car from the dealer just now. They had it for two days. I had a 2007 ES350 loaner. According to the Work Order - Poor fit of Dash - "Ins Panel Safety Pad Subassy" and "Wind Noise Kit - part number 5540130700C0 - whatever that is.

This was my first trip to the dealer for the Windshield/Dash rattle. On the ride home, I'd say they fixed it. Dead silent. No Creaks, rattles or clicks - We'll see if it holds. It was 14 degrees out as well. I'll update this thread in a couple of weeks or at first rattle. Whichever comes first!
Old 12-04-07, 02:34 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Will I be able to avoid the rattle issues?

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Yup this was happening to me also when the temps outside were in the 30-40 degree range. But last week when it got under 10 degrees, the creaking never stopped.
With rare exceptions, 40 is about as cold as it ever gets here in the Silicon Valley, which is the only place I ever drive. (We take my wife's van on trips.) So, I'm hoping that when I get my 2008 GS 350 next week, I will not experience the dreaded rattles.

With a newer model (hopefully rattle fixes preapplied at the factory during the build) and in a warmer area, do you (all) think I will avoid the rattle issues?
Old 12-04-07, 02:36 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by steverhode
With rare exceptions, 40 is about as cold as it ever gets here in the Silicon Valley, which is the only place I ever drive. (We take my wife's van on trips.) So, I'm hoping that when I get my 2008 GS 350 next week, I will not experience the dreaded rattles.

With a newer model (hopefully rattle fixes preapplied at the factory during the build) and in a warmer area, do you (all) think I will avoid the rattle issues?
If Lexus has not fixed the Dash/Rattle issue by 2008, they don't deserve the nameplate any more!
Old 12-04-07, 05:02 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

I am in socal with a late build 07 GS (Built in late June 2007) and it has the dreaded rattles. 08 production started in august or september fyi.
Old 12-05-07, 07:27 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlBoston
I am in socal with a late build 07 GS (Built in late June 2007) and it has the dreaded rattles. 08 production started in august or september fyi.

Darn. And double darn.

Any luck in getting it fixed?
Old 12-05-07, 08:18 AM
Nikkels
Driver School Candidate

Mine is rattling too...Im bringing it in next week.
IT IS SO ANNOYING. I live in Jersey and I don't think its gonna warm up anytime soon. I just hope they can fix it
Old 12-09-07, 03:38 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Well, I picked up car from the dealer just now. They had it for two days. I had a 2007 ES350 loaner. According to the Work Order - Poor fit of Dash - "Ins Panel Safety Pad Subassy" and "Wind Noise Kit - part number 5540130700C0 - whatever that is.

This was my first trip to the dealer for the Windshield/Dash rattle. On the ride home, I'd say they fixed it. Dead silent. No Creaks, rattles or clicks - We'll see if it holds. It was 14 degrees out as well. I'll update this thread in a couple of weeks or at first rattle. Whichever comes first!
It's baaaack! - The creaks and rattles! - Not as bad as before, but getting worse every day. I will have to get an e-mail off to my Service guy at Lexus.
Old 12-09-07, 03:51 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

So it was quiet for 5 days....bummer. At least this is one of the only things that are really wrong with this car....takes away from the driving experience for sure though.
Old 12-10-07, 01:16 AM
AlBoston
Pole Position

cut throat: I went through 3 or 4 visits for mine to get fixed. The first time they removed the dash, same experience as you. Was dead silent the first day, then the next day the clicks and rattles were back and worse than before.

Last visit they had the car for a week. They went through the whole thing, now it is silent (been 4 days so far) Def feels like they fixed it. We'll see!

Quick Reply: Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......