GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Big Brakes kit for gs3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07, 12:42 AM
kenatl06gs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brakes kit for gs3?

anyone have a brake kit on there car? how much did it cost you? like this one does... post picture please... thank you
Old 08-23-07, 08:47 AM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Are you planning to track your 245 hp luxury car? Turn 10A at Road Atlanta can be tough on brakes when approaching at 160mph.
Old 08-23-07, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you don't need to track your car to get bbk. i have bbk on all my cars, and honestly i feel safer with them on (saved me several times)

bbk for the 3gs are probably 14" setup. prices vary with brands. stoptech and rotora will be cheaper, around 2k i guess. ap racing, brembo, endless will be more, 3-4k i think (if they have application for 3gs)
Old 08-23-07, 12:14 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

I agree if its just the bling your after. Brake fade would be the only functional reason to go to larger rotors and calipers. I would defy you to exceed the thermal capacity of your stock brakes on the street. You'd have to get them hot enough to boil your brake fluid. Not gonna happen. You'd lock them up and actuate the ABS long before you'd come close to experiencing fade. There's no way that bigger brakes saved you on the street where the stock setup was incapable. No way.

Nothing wrong with bling though. Heck....that's one reason we all love our Lexi.

Last edited by chocaholic; 08-23-07 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-23-07, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you definitely haven't owned them before

my sc430 with stock brakes, once we put on 20s aftermarket, brake started to fade after 20 to 30 miles driving. badly and noticeable. and braking distance was obviously longer than with stock wheels.

changed to stoptech bbk. no more fading. grab is crazy and the ss lines (at least) makes the response much faster. sevreal times on freeway me (or my wife) had to panic brake and the car stopped in a dime. with stock brakes for sure the car would have been in body shop

don't even tell me to go into stories about my gs400 with ap racing

and go ask pearlpower about his 4 corner setup on his sc430 and how much it IMPROVES braking. and so many other bbk owners i know with brakes on gs or sc comments how much better the system is over stock on their cars

looking nice is one thing, i agree. but to me that's almost a side benefit. but honestly if you haven't had bbk on your car before and see how it works, you have no idea.
Old 08-23-07, 02:22 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

The only car I have put big brakes on is my 89 Carrera track car with a 3.6L Varioram twin plug high compression engine. And I only did that because I was experiencing slight brake fade at the track, and only on turn 10A at Road Atlanta. 10A requires deceleration from 140 mph+ as you dive into a down-hill, off camber 45 degree turn. You just don't do that routinely on the street.

To boil your brake fluid on the street, you'd have to ride your brake pedal excessively. I can't imagine any other way to do it. As long as your brakes are capable of locking up your wheels, they are capable of exceeding any necessary friction requirements to stop your car. When you boil your brake fluid, air gets in the line and your pedal will go to the floor before you can lock your wheel. With big brakes, they tool can lock your wheel....perhaps with a bit less effort. In either case, ABS takes over and does the rest.

Perception is everything. Personally....I think it's the bling.
Old 08-23-07, 02:38 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree bbk can be over-rated, especially if most of your driving style is normal.
If you drive like I do, it does make a difference. Is it necessary, no but it does help. When I had the G35, I drove it like I stole it. All the time. There were times when the braking system saved my bacon. If the brakes were not performance....well, who knows what would have happened.

If you haven't driven a car with performance brakes, you don't understand....I sure didn't. I ridiculed anyone who tried talking me into getting bbk. Now I understand why they were so strong about it.

For the original poster, maybe you can get the brakes from the GS350 put on your car, they have a huge caliper. I have both 06 and 07, the 07 stops better imo.
Old 08-23-07, 10:37 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chocaholic
The only car I have put big brakes on is my 89 Carrera track car with a 3.6L Varioram twin plug high compression engine. And I only did that because I was experiencing slight brake fade at the track, and only on turn 10A at Road Atlanta. 10A requires deceleration from 140 mph+ as you dive into a down-hill, off camber 45 degree turn. You just don't do that routinely on the street.

To boil your brake fluid on the street, you'd have to ride your brake pedal excessively. I can't imagine any other way to do it. As long as your brakes are capable of locking up your wheels, they are capable of exceeding any necessary friction requirements to stop your car. When you boil your brake fluid, air gets in the line and your pedal will go to the floor before you can lock your wheel. With big brakes, they tool can lock your wheel....perhaps with a bit less effort. In either case, ABS takes over and does the rest.

Perception is everything. Personally....I think it's the bling.
Mike, as you should know based on your post, there is more than just boiled fluid that cooks brakes and causes fade. With several Porsches in my background along with 45+ other cars including many performance cars I can say from real experience that stock brakes on many cars are not up to par in terms of performance driving. Trying to bring up a 3200 lb Porsche with already good brakes and comparing the braking experience to a large heavy 3800 lb sedan makes little sense.
Sure, if driving in very limited spirited form stock brakes of most cars should be sufficient, however, with cars getting heavier and heavier there is more demand for the braking system and the GS/SC are heavy cars with very limited brakes. VERY LIMITED. I have easily faded the brakes in my GS400 and SC430 with stock components as well as using performance pads on both cars with just limited spirited driving. The brakes are good for 1-3 stops only and then high speed fade takes over from there. EVERY TIME! Currently with my front and rear BBK kit this car brakes harder and better than any Porsche I have owned in the past-by far. Where as before the stock brakes on the SC faded after only 20 minutes of hard braking down a mountain road I take, the new brakes do not exhibit ANY fade regardless of what I ask from them.
To add, braking from high speed is also much improved including better stability due to the better brake feel (modulation) from the higher capacity clamping power of the calipers-you should know this.
BBK is not just for show though many install them for this reason. There are also BBK kits for Porsches as well along with just about every performance car out there and they are not just for show-they are for real world performance.
On top of that, the OP asked if anyone HAS a BBK on their car, not anyones opinion on what they thought of them or sarcasm as displayed in your first reply.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-23-07 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-23-07, 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

pearlpower to the rescue

i still remember the very old days when i had to travel back and forth between norcal and socal a lot, a good 400 miles drive (which has mountain roads, etc...) when i was still with the stock brakes, every time towards the final 80 miles or so, the brakes were almost gone. i had to brake a lot earlier coz' they faded so badly.

ever since i changed to ap racing? i forgot what brake fade is
Old 08-23-07, 11:13 PM
LexFather

The Bridehampton GS just shown as Stoptech rotors front and rear.
I am sure eventually someone will see if the IS-F Brembo's can put retrofit on other Lexus models.

The 3GS300 has 2 piston brakes. The 3GS350 and 430/450h have 4 pistons and a bigger disc. Maybe upgrade to those first?

That Red GS is superb, I have never seen it before, are there more pictures?
Old 08-24-07, 12:48 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenatl06gs
anyone have a brake kit on there car? how much did it cost you? like this one does... post picture please... thank you
I love this car. it looks soooooo clean. even though alot of mods have been done.....it looks low profile still. Not too too flashy. I LIKE!!

Vaistech/NAV~BT~DVD override hacks.
Old 08-25-07, 05:45 AM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
On top of that, the OP asked if anyone HAS a BBK on their car, not anyones opinion on what they thought of them or sarcasm as displayed in your first reply.
Certainly, on this point I stand corrected...and I apologize. I guess I get worked up a bit by people that do not do their performance driving at the track, where it's legal and safe for all the minivans full of kids on their way to soccer practice. Honestly, unless you're experiencing brake fade because of excessively long downhill braking (like in the Chattanooga area), take it to the track.

Again...sorry for letting it get the best of me. Have fun out there guys...and be safe.
Old 08-29-07, 07:00 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Here's a pic of the Endless BBK on a third gen GS

*picture was taken at the HIN Los Angeles show
Old 08-29-07, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Wow, that is a setup!
Old 08-30-07, 09:54 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seize
Here's a pic of the Endless BBK on a third gen GS

*picture was taken at the HIN Los Angeles show
Anyone know what kinda body kit is on that car?? i like it. its subtle and not too flashy! That car looks freakin' dropped too. sick!!

Quick Reply: Big Brakes kit for gs3?