GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: What brand of Gas do you use?
6.00%
Arco
2.00%
BP
14.00%
Chevron
14.00%
Exxon
10.00%
Shell
14.00%
Other
54.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: What brand of gas do you use? (and why)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 01:31 AM
Sumblad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Poll: What brand of gas do you use? (and why)

With my pending GS350 AWD factory order, I'm curious as to what brand of gasoline everyone prefers and if there are some brands you stay away from and the justification (knocking, funny noises, etc.)

Am I correct in assuming everyone uses 92 octane and doesn't pollute their engine with the cheap stuff?
Old 05-18-07, 03:44 AM
chocaholic
Pole Position

93 in this part of the country. It's my understanding that all the companies you listed buy their gas from the same regional distributors. So, it doesn't matter who you buy it from...it's the same overpriced bilge water.
Old 05-18-07, 08:33 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

If I could find a chevron that's the best burning gas out there, but the best I have surrounding me is shell. So I always get the shell top grade 91. In the altitude I am in 91 up here 5000ft, is the same as 93 at sea level.
Old 05-18-07, 08:38 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Although people like to think that they are getting something extra in Chevron with techron or whatever the companies state is the super additive, it is all the same. There is no top tier gas or company. I know this because my wife used to run an oil transport company. They would pick up the fuel and transport it to all the different gas stations, whether shell, arco, valero, mobil, whatever. Yes, they may dump a small can of additive in the storage tanks but thats it. The state regularly checks the octane ratings in the tanks so there is no "watered" down gas or low octane gas. It is what it is, buy the cheapest 91 or 93 and youre fine.
Old 05-18-07, 12:31 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

Go to toptiergas.com, they list gasoline distributors (including Chevron and others) that have been certified as good clean gas by, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi.

All gas is the same, however the additives in the gas are VERY different. Hopefully this will help.
Old 05-18-07, 01:47 PM
GiSmo350
Driver

I use Cosco gas. Its cheaper.
Old 05-18-07, 02:06 PM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chevron!!! My car loves Chevron and that's all he gets.
Old 05-18-07, 02:45 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Either COSTCO or Sam's. Under the federal law, all gas sold in this country most contain a certain amount of detergent.

I noticed the other day, the same truck that delivers gas to COSTCO was also delivering gas at a Chevron station.
Old 05-18-07, 03:32 PM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having been an engineer in the petro/chemical industry, in between my aerospace career, I can tell you that EyeKutr is 100% right. For those that may not be aware, Octane [CH3(CH2)6CH3] is used as a source of fuel in compression engines because it can be compressed the highest of the CH chained fuels before it will auto-ignite. The octane rating is merely the percent of this molecule present in the gasoline you buy. So 87 octane has no less than 87% of this molecule, 92 octane has 92%, etc. The rest of the fuel is, other than additives, less desirable CH chained molecules. In the higher compression engines, these less desirable molecules are more prone to igniting prematurely and causing what we call knocking. In the past, oil refineries added lead (ethyl) to gasoline to increase its resistance to knocking, but this has been found to be environmentally disasterous. Aviation fuels (100%+) still contain lead, but that's another story. As EyeKutr stated, the additives are added to the tanker trucks as they load the gasoline from the storage tanks. Bottom line, the gasoline we buy is the same reguardless of the brand name. The additives are not different enough to make any difference in engine protection or performance. Having said that, you still must be carefull that the gas station you buy your gas from maintains their equipment (tanks, pumps, etc.) to assure that no other contaminants such as water wind up in their tanks and in yours. By-the-way, running a higher octane gas in your car than you need will not improve your gas milage or power output or provide more engine protection. It will only have an effect on your wallet.
Old 05-18-07, 05:01 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

All gas is the same?? sorry not buying it. As fare as seat of the pants testing goes in Calif. Shell gas made our past and current cars (Mit GTZ - Pre, Camry LE - Reg, IS350 - Pre, ES350 - Pre, GS350 - Pre feel sluggish while Chevron made the same cars feel much more energetic (peppier) in town and on freeway driving. Also Chevron produces a lot less carbon (black stuff) in the tail pipe tip than Shell and the others. Don’t like Mobil, Arco, Thrifty, Costco either . If gas is the same gas every where then I prefer the Chevron additive package as being much better. Oh yes I’ve never seen a Chevron tanker truck at Costco either.

Last edited by osokuko; 05-18-07 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added the ?? at top
Old 05-18-07, 07:01 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

P.T. Barnum said it best...
Old 05-18-07, 07:04 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KSUFlasher
Go to toptiergas.com, they list gasoline distributors (including Chevron and others) that have been certified as good clean gas by, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi.

All gas is the same, however the additives in the gas are VERY different. Hopefully this will help.
Top Tier only exists in this country. Even in Germany, the home of BMW, there is no such thing as Top Tier Gas.

It's just another commercial ploy to get your money and mine.

As for additives, it wasn't long ago gas companies advertized their highest octanes (most expensive) as having the best or most additives. Well... take a look at the pumps next time you refuel and you will see they no longer advertize one octane gas as having more "cleaning power" than the others. The Federal Government asked for proof of this and they could/would not come with it.

Additives "might" be different but there is no proof that one additive package is superior than others. Quien sabe?
Old 05-18-07, 07:17 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KSUFlasher
i read this article on one of the mags that my pops gets in his shop.

Originally Posted by osokuko
All gas is the same sorry not buying it. As fare as seat of the pants testing goes in Calif. Shell gas made our past and current cars (Mit GTZ - Pre, Camry LE - Reg, IS350 - Pre, ES350 - Pre, GS350 - Pre feel sluggish while Chevron made the same cars feel much more energetic (peppier) in town and on freeway driving. Also Chevron produces a lot less carbon (black stuff) in the tail pipe tip than Shell and the others. Don’t like Mobil, Arco, Thrifty, Costco either . If gas is the same gas every where then I prefer the Chevron additive package as being much better. Oh yes I’ve never seen a Chevron tanker truck at Costco either.
ok, let me get this right. All gas is the same, yet you claim you feel a diffrence in your car's performance can we say contradiction
Old 05-18-07, 07:26 PM
Tlai000
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

ok, let me get this right. All gas is the same, yet you claim you feel a diffrence in your car's performance can we say contradiction [/QUOTE]

Acutally he said all gas is not the same.
Old 05-18-07, 08:08 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lilviet
ok, let me get this right. All gas is the same, yet you claim you feel a diffrence in your car's performance can we say contradiction
Acutally he said all gas is not the same.[/QUOTE]

You got it correct – "all gas is not the same".

Quick Reply: Poll: What brand of gas do you use? (and why)