GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AWOL: Lexus Pre-Collision System and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

Old 03-28-07, 05:30 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWOL: Lexus Pre-Collision System and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

Although this:

Lexus Pre-Collision System (PCS) and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control $2,850

is an option listed on the GS part of lexus.com website, I don't remember (at least recently and maybe ever) seeing a new GS in my dealer's lot that had this option on it.

Is this just an extremely obscure option, did they making them or what?

It's something I'd like to get whenever I (most likely) order a 2008 GS 350.
Old 03-28-07, 06:52 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steverhode
Although this:

Lexus Pre-Collision System (PCS) and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control $2,850

is an option listed on the GS part of lexus.com website, I don't remember (at least recently and maybe ever) seeing a new GS in my dealer's lot that had this option on it.

Is this just an extremely obscure option, did they making them or what?

It's something I'd like to get whenever I (most likely) order a 2008 GS 350.

I've never seen nor heard of one, though no doubt there are a few floating around out there. It's an option I would have gotten.
Old 03-28-07, 07:06 PM
cohort
Rookie

BMW has this and the sales guy told me it was a waste of money. Once a car cuts in front of you, you have to reset it and all. I don't remember everything he said but his point was it was more of a problem than anything. He said it was good if you were on the autobond and were flying behind someone else but here in America to many people cut in front of you blah blah…
Old 03-28-07, 07:10 PM
Khankn32
Driver

Default -

Yea they make a few. I got both on em on mine. Heres a pic of the "L" emblem thats a lil bigger. I'll get the wireing behide the grill and a bigger and better shot

Only bad thing is I dont think I can replace the grill if I wanted to haha
-added- I tired the cruise control and it works well, if a car pulls infront of me, on the display where the speed-meter is it'll flash "Brake" and "The car" will apply the brakes smoothly. But havent tried (PCS) and dont plan too haha

Last edited by Khankn32; 03-28-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 10:26 PM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

I've only seen PCS and dynamic radar cruise control configured on 450hs in So. Cal.
Old 03-28-07, 10:55 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

The system works really well with one exception. It will apply light to moderate braking for you but when it senses anything beyond that, it will tell you to brake so you can modulate the brakes for safety. It maintains your speed really well but the only problem is when you are on twisty roads. As you go around a right handed sweeping corner, if you encounter an oncoming car, the system will think there is an obstacle and apply brakes even though there isn't anything in your way. You pretty much only use it on long stretches of highway and the car pretty much drives itself. I don't have it in my GS but I did have it in my Sienna Limited and it's pretty much the same system.
Old 03-29-07, 08:10 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I find it to be a wonderful add-on to the options. I am glad I have it. It was included in the options preset at the dealership for my part of the country.

It breaks the car up to 4m/s^2 I think I read somewhere. Anything faster than that it will give you an audible as well as a visual so you know too apply the breaks yourself, b/c the rate of closure is to quick for the car to break on its own.

I don't ever have any problems when driving around corners (with on coming traffic). On the other hand when I am cornering and the car in front goes out of direct sight (immediately in front) of the car, the car accelerates to the set speed because it can't detect the car, once the turn stops, the car recognizes and slows me back down.

I use this feature daily.

I agree it's not the best when driving in the city, although it is a great feature then, it is more made for and highway driving when speeds are above 55mph. Is it worth the $$$$ they sell it for? Probably not, but I am glad I have it and it is a fun toy and a safe one to have.

I've left it up to the car, I wanted to try out the PCS, and well it does really well. I had to slam on the breaks at the last minute b/c it wasn't breaking me "fast" enough, but it did really break me quite hard.. Harder than I thought it was capable on its own.

One question.....???? WHen the car is auto breaking, does it apply the break lights? or is it a pressure build up and then the lights don't actually turn on when breaking????
Just wondering b/c if you are stopping as fast as the car does in auto, when somone is breaking infront, or somone pulls out, what happens to the visual to the person behind you????
If they can't see your break lights, will they now hit you from behind? Just wondering...

Last edited by Jace7; 03-29-07 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-29-07, 12:36 PM
cjwal
Driver School Candidate

I do not have this on my 07 GS350, but it came standard on my Toyota Sienna XLE Limited Minivan. (Go Figure) As stated in a few other threads it is great for the long straight highway trips. And I have tested the cruise control in a high speed brake situation. It does a pretty good job of applying the brakes as well as I was curious as to whether or not the brake lights are coming on. (As you can imagine, when you are on a long drive you tend to play with some of these features) What I had someone confirm is that when the system generally slows you down the brake lights do not come on(but you can feel the brakes being applied) but if it needs to really hit the brakes, the lights will come on. (confimed this with several checks)

Other observations, it disables in the rain as well as going up hills can really force the cruise to gun it.

Otherwise, great for following a pack on a long road trip.
Old 03-29-07, 03:07 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I often asked myself the same question about the taillights. Glad that I can finally put that to rest. It seems to me that it would be a safety issue if the car slowed down without taillights.

As far as the long sweeping right hand corner issue. It might have been more of an issue on my Sienna because it had the sensor on one side of the lower fascia rather than in the middle like the GS. I still don't understand how it can be a standard feature on a $40k minivan but not on a $52k Lexus.... puzzles me to this day.
Old 03-29-07, 05:52 PM
Khankn32
Driver

Default -

Originally Posted by Jace7
I find it to be a wonderful add-on to the options. I am glad I have it. It was included in the options preset at the dealership for my part of the country.

It breaks the car up to 4m/s^2 I think I read somewhere. Anything faster than that it will give you an audible as well as a visual so you know too apply the breaks yourself, b/c the rate of closure is to quick for the car to break on its own.

I don't ever have any problems when driving around corners (with on coming traffic). On the other hand when I am cornering and the car in front goes out of direct sight (immediately in front) of the car, the car accelerates to the set speed because it can't detect the car, once the turn stops, the car recognizes and slows me back down.

I use this feature daily.

I agree it's not the best when driving in the city, although it is a great feature then, it is more made for and highway driving when speeds are above 55mph. Is it worth the $$$$ they sell it for? Probably not, but I am glad I have it and it is a fun toy and a safe one to have.

I've left it up to the car, I wanted to try out the PCS, and well it does really well. I had to slam on the breaks at the last minute b/c it wasn't breaking me "fast" enough, but it did really break me quite hard.. Harder than I thought it was capable on its own.

One question.....???? WHen the car is auto breaking, does it apply the break lights? or is it a pressure build up and then the lights don't actually turn on when breaking????
Just wondering b/c if you are stopping as fast as the car does in auto, when somone is breaking infront, or somone pulls out, what happens to the visual to the person behind you????
If they can't see your break lights, will they now hit you from behind? Just wondering...
Did the seat belt such you in? I was sitting at a railroad crossroad and the ground started shaking (from the train coming) and all of a sudden the belt fasten up tight really fast, it freaked me out lol
Old 03-29-07, 06:10 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

yes, it takes up any slack in the belt to prevent whiplash
Old 03-30-07, 04:50 PM
cjwal
Driver School Candidate

2thfixr,

I am with you. Wifes car is the minivan and it was standard. I got out of a landcruiser to get into this GS and I love it, but go figure on the upcharge for the feathure, just makes me laugh. Oh well.

I do agree with you on the Cruise control though, the sensor is on the lower side on the front, I would hope the location on the Lexus provides better coverage, but I have to say I have not had any problems with the sienna.

CJ
Old 04-01-07, 03:25 PM
speedyg
Rookie

Hah, I was wondering about the brake light thing also
I love the radar cruise control, it's so much better than manually having to adjust speed all the time. Very handy in slow and go traffic, I just let it slow down and speed up for me, I don't have to use the brake or accelerator pedals. One interesting thing is that the maximum speed you can go under radar cruise is 88mph. If you wanna go faster on cruise control you need to switch to non-radar mode.

If it's available (only some parts of the country apparently) I'd definitely recommend getting it.
Old 04-27-13, 06:51 PM
BigD026
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2009 in Dallas last month and had no idea about the PCS system. I didn't even know there were two types of emblems. Once i did some research, i found out my car had the system, but not the grille. The car fax was clear when i bought the car, however i had suspicion the car was in a unreported fender bender. < I emailed the dealer and explained what i discovered, but they claimed they didn't repair or replace anything. The car was repaired and replaced with the cheaper Non-PCS grille and emblem. < that sucks.

Anyways, the PCS light was coming on over 80mph in more congested traffic or in the rain. I think the non-pcs grill and emblem distorts the sensors computer and it fails. It seems to reset after i drop below 70mph and let traffic clear up in front of me.

You can't use cruise if the PCS light is on. I plan on converting it back to the front grill and emblem in the future. I thought to drive around without the grill to see if it was the non-pcs emblem causing the light to come on.

Does anyone know if you can purchase the shiny PCS L emblem and install it in the Non-PCS Grill ? OR do you buy both the expensive($1000) emblem and the PCS grill ?

Here is a short clip of my PCS system quickly approaching the back of a semi and braked hard under the alert mode...When it recognizes a car ahead moving slower than your speed, it does brake very smooth.

MemphisDave

Last edited by BigD026; 04-27-13 at 06:59 PM.