GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Asking for opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 05:19 PM
DaCajun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asking for opinions.

I really like the 5 spoke rims that come on the GS 430 but I notice that most of them come in an Alloy and some look as if they have been dipped in chrome. Living in Chicago I have never seen these rims on the GS in real life. I have only seen them in pictures on the internet. I was just wondering for those of you who have seen both in real life which ones do you think look better.
Old 03-30-07, 06:41 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaCajun
I really like the 5 spoke rims that come on the GS 430 but I notice that most of them come in an Alloy and some look as if they have been dipped in chrome. Living in Chicago I have never seen these rims on the GS in real life. I have only seen them in pictures on the internet. I was just wondering for those of you who have seen both in real life which ones do you think look better.
Personally, I like the alloy better. It's a lot shinier than it looks in photographs, and the chrome versions I've seen look kind of cheap by comparison.
Old 03-30-07, 07:44 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, the alloys have a nice shiny graphite coloring to them and makes them look sporty. The chromes are a bit to shiny and old-fashion in a way.
Old 03-30-07, 08:21 PM
Firstlps
Driver

Originally Posted by Rexus300
yeah, the alloys have a nice shiny graphite coloring to them and makes them look sporty. The chromes are a bit to shiny and old-fashion in a way.
Yes the alloys are cool looking but I like the chrome wheels more.
The important thing is to look at them in person and compare for yourself.
after all it's your money and you can't go wrong ether way
Old 03-30-07, 08:23 PM
cohort
Rookie

I don't want to hijack but is there a difference when it comes to cleaning these 2 types of rims? Is there something that you can spray on that keeps brake dust and dirt off? I know you can spray stuff on them to take it off but how about to keep it off?
Old 03-31-07, 06:11 AM
micnic
Driver School Candidate

I think it depends on the color. Chrome always looks great on black.
Old 03-31-07, 07:44 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cohort
I don't want to hijack but is there a difference when it comes to cleaning these 2 types of rims? Is there something that you can spray on that keeps brake dust and dirt off? I know you can spray stuff on them to take it off but how about to keep it off?
Personally, I apply Zaino Z2 - the same great product I use on the paint - to the wheels. It doesn't keep brake dust off per se, but, come wash time, the dust comes off very easily and does not stain your wheels like it would otherwise.

On another note, how do I convince my wife that we "need" the GS430/350RWD 5-spoke wheels on our 350AWD with the 10-spoke wheels? I've been trying, and this is what I keep getting...
Old 03-31-07, 07:55 AM
GS350BlacK
Driver

Originally Posted by DaCajun

I like the Alloy wheels. The dealers chrome wheels have been dipped in black. When I first got the car I searched for chrome wheels and was going to go with Verde Kao's. They were mounted on the tires and placed on the car; however, they didn't fit the front due to the larger caliper and Verde's tendance to cut the wheel well back. They looked great but after putting the alloy 5 spokes back on, I was certain that 5 spoke was the way for me to go. You GS 350 will through a good bit of brake dust on the fronts due to their size; not so much on the rear. They are easy to cean. I Zaino mine and that helps with making them easy to keep clean. Basicly a wash and rinse. Dipped chrome can give you problems. One wheel company explained that dipped chrome wheels can be unevenly balanced. Something that can be dealt with, but why have to deal with the balancing issues. Dipped chrome can also chip off. I went to a custome restoration shop here in houston and they showd me the effect; OUCH! The right chrome can look good, but for me, alloy has a much more sporty look.

If you want something that really pops out at you, check out Forgeline.com. Their ZX3P Premiere Series wheels are top of the line 3 piece forged wheels. The deep lip on the wheels adds a nice effect. I talked to them about a month ago and they indicated that they have all the spec's for the GS350 and can make the wheels for your spec's. They are not cheep. A set runs about $4,600, but they are nice. I am considering their polished wheel when my first tire change comes due. Give them a call; they are very helpful. They also make a 1 piece forged the Viper and might entertain one for your GS350. If so, it probably wouldn't be as expensive as a 3 piece forged. One nice thing about a 3 piece forged, if you damage one piece of the wheel, you only have to replace that piece, not the entire wheel.

Last edited by GS350BlacK; 03-31-07 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-06-07, 02:35 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my own opinion, I hate chrome! I'd give up everything for not getting a vehicle with chrome wheels.

No offense, it's just my personal taste.
Old 04-06-07, 05:11 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Personally I like the 10 spoke wheels that came with my AWD GS350. I was pleasantly surprised as I was expecting the 5 spoke wheel.

Old 04-06-07, 05:49 PM
GS350BlacK
Driver

Default Color Choice

Originally Posted by RandalR
Personally, I like the alloy better. It's a lot shinier than it looks in photographs, and the chrome versions I've seen look kind of cheap by comparison.
Nice choice of colors RandalR.....