GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield scratches easily - Careful!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 11:29 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield scratches easily - Careful!!!

Sorry for this long story. But I think you guys/gals might want to know about it.

About a month back, I took a trip to Long Island, NY. During fuel up at the pump, I did my usual thing and clean the windshield. After I came home, I wash the car and clean the glass. I found a long scratch on the driver side front windshield with some minor ones near by. Now the car and windshield is clean, I can clearly see where all these lines area. During the day, it's just a PITA to see through it but no big deal. At night, it's almost like looking through spiderweb. I've had many other cars (Honda, Acura, Nissan, Chevy, Olds) before and have clean and care for them the same way. I never had any issue with scratches on windshield.

While the car was in for 5k service, I mentioned it to serv rep. He said he will look into it and see what they can do. When I got the car back, I was told that there is nothing he can do other than replace the windshield. I had my car look at at two different auto glasses shop here in town and was told the same thing. I then have a bodyshop who I used and trusted looking at it, he agreed that it will need to be replaced. But he suggests that I should call Lexus corp and see if they will help me out. Either way, my insurance is taking care of it. He just suggests that what is the right thing to do. If this expansive windshield does scratches easier than others, everyone needs to know about it. When I call Lexus, the lady who answered was very nice. I told her that I really love the car, just didn't care for the windshield. She stated that they will do everything they can to help me out.

No one called me back for almost a week. I called Lexus today and asked them for any update. The guy who answered asked me to hold while he is tracking the person who is on the case and see if she can come to the phone. He came back and said she can't come to the phone right now but I have the info for you. Lexus does not see this as a warranty issue and they will not help in covering it. I kind of expected that but I am getting it replace anyways.

The scratches are deep enough that you can feel it with your fingernails. It's not a crack. Perhaps there was something on the window squeeze that I used, but I am very careful and check to make sure there is nothing on it can cause the scratch. I was thinking about tinting my windows but after seeing how easily the windshield scratches up, I am not sure if I would tint now.

I hope none of you will have scratches on your window/windshield. But be careful, I think I am very careful when it comes to cleaning my car and i still end up with scratches. Our windshield and windows are coated with water repellent. I am not sure if that makes any difference.

Sorry for the long post. My bodyshop is ordering an OEM windshield. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 12-13-06, 11:34 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Not sure about the scratches, but sure seems to chip from pebbles easier than others I have had.
Old 12-13-06, 12:18 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

They chips so easy!!! I got like at least 20 annoying little chips not cracks just pits on the windsheild and it also broke at 9,000 miles. If mine was scracthed I would just keep it until something worse happens.
Old 12-13-06, 01:07 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by purebliss
They chips so easy!!! I got like at least 20 annoying little chips not cracks just pits on the windsheild and it also broke at 9,000 miles. If mine was scracthed I would just keep it until something worse happens.
I agree and I was going to do that until last week while driving at night, I almost couldn't see anything when a x5 came up toward me on a 2 lane street. It looks like light source going through crystal. Oh ya!! Christams lights on my windshield!! (sorry.... not very pc here)
Old 12-13-06, 03:13 PM
GryPhantom
Driver School Candidate

When I got my new GS, they offered windshield protection plan. I guess this is why they offered it. Also, glad i bought the plan. I hear that its really expensive to replace the windshields.
Old 12-13-06, 03:17 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My windshield already has several chips from debris on the highway.
Old 12-13-06, 03:31 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GryPhantom
When I got my new GS, they offered windshield protection plan. I guess this is why they offered it. Also, glad i bought the plan. I hear that its really expensive to replace the windshields.
My comprehensive policy for my Auto comes with 100% full glass coverage. Most do, it's pretty cheap.

One question though. Why should the glass on the GS350 be any different than my 99 GS300 was?
Old 12-13-06, 04:46 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

yup. 30 bucks a year I think or every 1/2 year = as many replaces OEM as I want. with no deductable.

so if I got a scratch, maybe I'd throw a pebble at it, chipping the outside and claiming it for free. oh wait is that insurance fraud???? ha ha ha
well then no wait, I wouldn't. ya right.
Old 12-13-06, 07:11 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jace7
yup. 30 bucks a year I think or every 1/2 year = as many replaces OEM as I want. with no deductable.

so if I got a scratch, maybe I'd throw a pebble at it, chipping the outside and claiming it for free. oh wait is that insurance fraud???? ha ha ha
well then no wait, I wouldn't. ya right.

Windshield is covered under my comprehensive and i have zero deductible for comprehensive. They are covering it for me. I don't know if the newer GS windshield is any different from 99 GS. I use the same product and same care on this Gs the same way I did with all my other cars. Zaino, BonAmi or Invisb.Glass....303.... The only thing I know that is different is that lexus windshields are coated (well.. water repellent..)
Old 12-13-06, 09:13 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

when I was purchasing my GS350 they offered the windshield protection plan to me as well which I turned down for the very reason that my insurance offered the same for less money. The tire coverage, on the other hand, was something i went ahead and opted for, since I seem to have the worst luck (sometimes ) in that department.
Old 12-13-06, 09:44 PM
GryPhantom
Driver School Candidate

Westside Lexus right? I recognize the parking lot. That was the same space where my car was parked at. Yeah I bought option. My brother had to replace his SC430 and it was expensive!!! So i thought i cover myself.
Old 12-20-06, 06:41 PM
jekoda
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here - two chips in three weeks, one of which has expanded from a chip to a 9 inch crack. Love the car, but the windshield is frail; $1,500 replacement cost via Lexus.
Old 12-20-06, 07:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

The Lexus glass and the coating are not the most durable on the world. I am not sure how many we have been through on my 2k1 GS430 and my wifes 2k3 GS300. I understand about having a new car and wanting it perfect but I have the windshield replacement too but after the premium went up after two replacements in one year I asked and was told that it was because of the claims on the windshield. The Lexus windshield gets very bad very quickly but if you replace the windshield every time the coating gets scratched or you get a few pockmarks, you are going to be at the glass shop a lot. And if you have Lexus do it you will be talking anywhere from 1100 to 1500 bucks a throw. Maybe you guys have better insurance than I do but they don't like replacing too many of those at those prices before they just start looking at it like any other claim, although the insurance company has never been interested in looking at the windshield before it is replaced. My wife and I just live with it under most circumstances and are now up to a couple of years between changes. All that changes with an out and out crack that is growing. That is a safety issue and needs to be replaced ASAP in my mind.
Old 12-20-06, 08:50 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, good catch - it was at Westside.

Originally Posted by GryPhantom
Westside Lexus right? I recognize the parking lot. That was the same space where my car was parked at. Yeah I bought option. My brother had to replace his SC430 and it was expensive!!! So i thought i cover myself.
Old 01-27-07, 06:49 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I was washing my car today, and I noticed RIGHT OVER DRIVER VIEWING of the front windshield I noticed the water beading in a circular pattern. Its driving me nuts! What the heck is this? The rest of my windshield is ok, but I now have this circular pattern of scraches whever it rains!
My cloth was clean at the time, I normally clean my windshield first.

Quick Reply: Windshield scratches easily - Careful!!!