GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Hardwired Passport X50 to my new 3GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-06, 12:50 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kuch123
I just tapped mine into the wires for the rear view mirror.. took about 15min and works perfectly.. really didn't see the point of all the extra wiring and another little remote display..

I see you have a red Porsche cab poster in the background! You have excellent taste when it comes to automobiles.
Old 12-09-06, 10:01 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one on a poster versus the one in the garage makes a big difference. Maybe I can ask 2thfairy to bring one in?

@kuch123, can you tell me exactly which wire did you tapped in there? Was it easy to remove a plastic cover? Did you use a hardwire with in-line fuse? I'm worrying with a fuse it wont fit in there.

Also, still didn't get a chance to look for a fuse box. Where is it located inside, anyway? Is there any open slot in there, and if so, should I just chose one which is rated with a same current as in-line fuse for the radar?
Old 12-09-06, 03:57 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I see you have a red Porsche cab poster in the background! You have excellent taste when it comes to automobiles.
Thanks! Here's the rest of the wall

Old 12-09-06, 04:11 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twister
The one on a poster versus the one in the garage makes a big difference. Maybe I can ask 2thfairy to bring one in?

@kuch123, can you tell me exactly which wire did you tapped in there? Was it easy to remove a plastic cover? Did you use a hardwire with in-line fuse? I'm worrying with a fuse it wont fit in there.

Also, still didn't get a chance to look for a fuse box. Where is it located inside, anyway? Is there any open slot in there, and if so, should I just chose one which is rated with a same current as in-line fuse for the radar?
Well, here's the one that WAS in the garage and is also in the poster but turned it in after getting the GS.. For what the bank wanted for the buyout i could have bought one 2yrs newer and with less miles.. planning on getting an 07 with the 3.4 in a year or two when i get the itch again

As far as the wires go, went out to look but it's all taped up and didn't want to tear it all apart again. The plastic thing slides right up then will pop out at the top if you squeeze the sides.. then just trim out a section of the wire sleeve and use a voltage tester to find a hot wire, preferrably one thats only hot when the car is on or at least in accessories mode. Then i think there was a black or brown one that was a ground, again, use the tester once you find the hot one.. I used no fuse, just tapped it right in.. i've done this in all my cars since radar detectors have existed and have never had a problem.
Old 12-09-06, 05:05 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Those two look great next to each other Thanks for the reply! It does sound like the cleanest install with a least amount of wire, but I will probably go for for the method described by GryPhantom.

I just hope he can let us know where he hardwired his x50 in a fuse box? Where is a fuse box located in GS? Also, is there a specific open fuse slot in there which was used for it? What about the ground? I want to make sure I get everything right when I do it myself

Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Old 12-09-06, 05:11 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

installs look great guys, thanks for the pictures
Old 12-09-06, 08:12 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

nice install. It's simple and to the point. Nice job, looks good. Didn't like my idea/preference of on the dash for better visual below the line of sight.
Only matters what you personally like.
Good job.
Old 12-12-06, 11:27 PM
GryPhantom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twister
Those two look great next to each other Thanks for the reply! It does sound like the cleanest install with a least amount of wire, but I will probably go for for the method described by GryPhantom.

I just hope he can let us know where he hardwired his x50 in a fuse box? Where is a fuse box located in GS? Also, is there a specific open fuse slot in there which was used for it? What about the ground? I want to make sure I get everything right when I do it myself

Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Sorry for the late reply.

I used the same fuse for the windshield wiper. I used to own a Yukon and i had it hardwire to the light switch on top of the rear view mirror. However, the radar didn't turn off when the ignition was turned off. So, I wanted to find a fuse that will not work when the ignition was turned off. So therefore, I picked the windshield fuse. As for the ground, there is a big bolt holding the fuse box. I just unscrewed the bolt and looped the ground wire and tighten the bolt down. The fuse box is underneath in the driver side foot well. I used the same steps for installing the V1. It was nothing to it.

Here is the V1 install instruction.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=hardwire
Old 12-29-06, 05:19 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Just hardwired my X50 as well. Would like to contribute a few additional tips. I did follow SGT's instructions from this (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195553) thread to tap into the cig ligther power and that 10mm bolt for the ground. X50 provides exactly the same vampire clip. And, since I was using hardwire kit for X50 with a Smart Cord mute/alarm/power display, here is where I found the best place to attach it w/doublesided velcro. Its very close, within a reach, and you don't have to look up to mute the unit when radar is triggered (lower left corner under the audio unit):
Attached Thumbnails Hardwired Passport X50 to my new 3GS-radar_x50-5.jpg  
Old 12-29-06, 05:20 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, also forgot to mention, I have it mounted up here:
Attached Thumbnails Hardwired Passport X50 to my new 3GS-radar_x50-1.jpg  
Old 12-29-06, 05:24 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

And, one more thing. In SGT's post you can see a wire being tucked on the side and it shows up. I found that you can actually remove this panel (pop it open) to tuck the wire under for a cleaner look (obviously, you can't even see it running down below ):
Attached Thumbnails Hardwired Passport X50 to my new 3GS-radar_x50-4.jpg  

Last edited by twister; 12-29-06 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-29-06, 09:52 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice work! Took a lazy/shorter approach and went with the cordless Passport Solo S2. This evening while coming home it picked up a police car 1/2 mile to 1 mile up the road and totally paid for itself!
Old 12-29-06, 09:59 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I have tried before a cordless Whistler radar, but battery didn't last for too long, and I had to constantly keep plugin it back for recharging. Whistler keeps power constantly on while Solo S2 does switching to preserve a batterly life (from what I read). How is the battery life on S2?

Last edited by twister; 12-29-06 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-30-06, 09:47 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I would never personally do a cordless, they are powerful enough... Can't send a stong enough signal. I would only hardwire, like I did my V1, or worst case plug it in and see the cord, but I'd never wireless. just my .02

BTW twist, I like your mute spot. Very nice placement, and clean install. I have mine above my steering column for my V1.