GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Ways to add HP to GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 12:00 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor.1
you can get a lot more than 13 HP, more like 35 HP or better if done right.

I wish that was true, but honstly the GS430 is pretty tapped out stock. some people claim to have lost power with aftermarket intakes and there is just not much hp to free up in the exhaust either. the new headers for 2nd gen(don't know if they hit 3rd gen) GS may add a few ponies too, but even with that I doubt you can get 35 more hp.
Old 09-16-06, 12:19 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Stickers and Decals... LOTS of them.... Haven't you watched Fast and Furious???

Let me break it down for you guys.... Torque exponentially increases to the ratio of the stickers' square footage.... Horsepower rating also increases by adding loud obnoxious colors... The louder the color, the more power... I don't think I have to explain this again...

Last edited by Eternity3G; 09-16-06 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 03:11 PM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Stickers and Decals... LOTS of them.... Haven't you watched Fast and Furious???

Let me break it down for you guys.... Torque exponentially increases to the ratio of the stickers' square footage.... Horsepower rating also increases by adding loud obnoxious colors... The louder the color, the more power... I don't think I have to explain this again...
Don't forget the gaint wing on the rear deck.That's good for 20hp.
Old 09-16-06, 03:27 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

How bout taking off the manifold and heads and getting them ported and polished by a speed shop. Then add a engine management system (Safc 1 or 2) and adjust it by using a dyno. Total cost would be pretty high though. Add this with some sort of intake,torque convertor and exhaust. Oh well price just went out the window...............nevermind just enjoy what u got.. lol
Old 09-18-06, 12:42 AM
AudiMan
Driver

the engine management would definately be the biggest snag, its normally the biggest snag in higher end cars these days
Old 07-09-07, 03:53 PM
PeteV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Raptor.1
6 HP difference, less torque, lose the V8 feel and sound? Nahhh~ You can gain 6HP by putting on an exhaust by itself. There are other things you can do like add an Intake, ECU remap, and torque converter. These are some of the less intrusive things you can do for less money, well certainly less than a Supercharger.
I've looked around, and can't find anyone offering an intake system or ECU remap for the 06 and up GS430's. Anyone have any links to these upgrades?
Old 07-09-07, 07:10 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

There's no such thing as cheap horsepower. Exhaust changes will often cost more HP than they deliver. If you're lucky, and your hp goes up, it will often occur at the expense of torque, which will make the car feel slower. Pre and post dyno is the only way to know for sure. Anything less than 20 hp will not result in any noticeable improvement. And an exhaust change by itself WILL NEVER deliver a 20+ hp increase....I don't care how it's done.

If an HP increase is achieved, you'll generally only feel it at the top of the RPM range. How much time do you spend at red-line in you luxury car?

Best advice....save your money.
Old 07-10-07, 12:40 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100 shot nitrous!
Old 07-10-07, 09:06 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PeteV
I've looked around, and can't find anyone offering an intake system or ECU remap for the 06 and up GS430's. Anyone have any links to these upgrades?
Swift Racing needs to have someone bring in there gs430 gen 3 in Maryland so they can build one for everyone..they make a killer srt intake with ecu on gen 2 gs's
www.swiftracing.com
Old 10-30-07, 10:24 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chocaholic
There's no such thing as cheap horsepower. Exhaust changes will often cost more HP than they deliver. If you're lucky, and your hp goes up, it will often occur at the expense of torque, which will make the car feel slower. Pre and post dyno is the only way to know for sure. Anything less than 20 hp will not result in any noticeable improvement. And an exhaust change by itself WILL NEVER deliver a 20+ hp increase....I don't care how it's done.

If an HP increase is achieved, you'll generally only feel it at the top of the RPM range. How much time do you spend at red-line in you luxury car?

Best advice....save your money.
While the above advice does apply to certain exhaust mods such as cat back it does NOT apply to good headers. In fact you can get a noticable increase in power with NO increase in peak power!!! WHAT!!! How can this be?

An increase in either or both of the following is something that you will FEEL...
Mid range torque and engine responsiveness.

The S&S Headers are a proven peak power performance increase that also increase mid range torque and responsiveness ESPECIALLY on the 2nd gen GS430s due to the larger (than 400) engine and the single tube stock exhaust manifold design.

However, at this point I have NOT seen a 3rd gen exhaust manifold and do NOT know of anyone who has tried to install the 2nd Gen S&S Headers on a 3rd Gen GS430. I was just speaking with Loren Barnes of S&S today on a different matter and this question came up. If anyone is interested in trying these please PM me and maybe something can be arranged as an incentive.
Old 10-31-07, 07:42 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

To damn funny Randal....the Budweiser HP...with Santa guiding the way!!!
Old 10-31-07, 08:10 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

u can get a performance chip mayb?
Old 11-01-07, 11:21 AM
Kosmos
Rookie

if you're in SoCal ... I would suggest tuning the GS 430 at XS Engineering

www.xs-engineering.com

...talked to my friend who co-owns the store;

theres not much you can do to the GS 430 - engine management is very important...you'll need to piggyback the ECU
Old 11-04-07, 12:25 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Exhaust Systems Dont Really Add Any Real Power Unless You Are Driving A Car With A Turbo. Look At The Dyno Charts On Any Car. You Get About A 5-7 Hp Gain And You Lose Low End Torque. Also Remeber That More Air Flow (exhaust, Cats,intake, Plenums, Plenum Soacers) All Lean The Motor Out Therfore Increase Damage At High Rpm. An Ecu Retune Is Probably The Most Effective Thing I Did On My Last Car, More Timing, More Fuel, Remap Ignition, And Remove Speed Limiter, And Push The Red Line Up 400 Rpm. Did This To My G35 And I Was Straight Dusting V8's.
Old 11-04-07, 12:29 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The More I Think About It I Realize How Much Tuning My Old Car Has Taught Me. And I Mean Really Taught Me About Tuning.

Quick Reply: Ways to add HP to GS430?