GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

V-kool is causing problems with my Navigation system in GS430 -2006 (metallic tint)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 05:53 AM
ayjabri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-kool is causing problems with my Navigation system in GS430 -2006 (metallic tint)

I just installed a new v-kool tint on my GS430 yesterday, this caused me a problem with navigation system, the location is not where i am, i've tried to calibrate few times but still the same problem..
back at v-kool shop they told me thier film is made of several layers and one of them are metalic , which might weaken the signal of GPS..!!!

Lexus on the other hand don't want to tell me where is the antenna of the Navigation system so i can make a small cut to allow better signal....

please help me
Old 06-07-06, 06:11 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, that's what metallic tint will do to a GPS signal. I would recommend you get the tint removed from the shop that put it on and have them use either regular dye-based tint or ceramic tint instead.
Old 06-07-06, 08:38 AM
ayjabri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SGT
Yup, that's what metallic tint will do to a GPS signal. I would recommend you get the tint removed from the shop that put it on and have them use either regular dye-based tint or ceramic tint instead.
i was thinking maybe it's better to remove the tint only in fron of the GPS sensor or antenna but unfortunatly i don't know where is the antenna located?
do you have an idea where is it located?

(i like the V-kool cause it protect from sun heat in a very good way)
Old 06-07-06, 08:46 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ayjabri
i was thinking maybe it's better to remove the tint only in fron of the GPS sensor or antenna but unfortunatly i don't know where is the antenna located?
do you have an idea where is it located?

(i like the V-kool cause it protect from sun heat in a very good way)
The antenna is embedded into the glass of the rear window, but I'm not sure if the GPS signal is located there as well.
Old 06-07-06, 09:52 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read this thread, although the location might have changed for the '06 GS. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=antenna
Old 06-07-06, 10:49 AM
pocky
mooncake master

I have recently installed Madico Onyx, which is a DYED film with Metallic particles in it.

My GPS system works flawlessly. I was told the GPS receiver is located within the confines of the dash. So I'm not sure if it's different on the '06 GS's.

Dunno hope this helps.
Old 06-07-06, 11:18 AM
ayjabri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Read this thread, although the location might have changed for the '06 GS. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=antenna
thanks, for the link...
that was helpfull discussion but looks like it didn't end yet, still they didn't agree with the location of the Antenna, is it on the rear glass for the GS 430 2006?

i'm in saudi arabia and i'm trying to contact lexus USA but they didnt post thier international phone number..
Old 06-07-06, 01:52 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ayjabri
thanks, for the link...
that was helpfull discussion but looks like it didn't end yet, still they didn't agree with the location of the Antenna, is it on the rear glass for the GS 430 2006?

i'm in saudi arabia and i'm trying to contact lexus USA but they didnt post thier international phone number..

Just got off the phone with my trusty friend who is a Lexus Master Tech. He says for the '06 GS, the nav antenna located under the front dash. Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-06, 02:03 PM
ayjabri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Just got off the phone with my trusty friend who is a Lexus Master Tech. He says for the '06 GS, the nav antenna located under the front dash. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot, i'll try to remove the tint from the front glass and see if this helps, or maybe will install an outside antenna
Old 06-08-06, 07:44 AM
ayjabri
Driver School Candidate

I just removed the tint from rear glass, problem solved...
looks like the Antenna is on the back
Old 06-08-06, 09:47 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm telling you guys.. check out Madicos Ceramic Metallic "Mac" line of products. Best heat reflection, clarity, and it works flawlessly w/ Navi's. I've never been happier w/ a tint. V-Kool actually still uses "metalic-metalic" (aluminum/nickel) film rather than the ceramic metal. They have 12 stacks of 2 types of metals (6 each) embedded causing the GPS interferance. If you took the V-Kool off already, give the Madico Mac a try. Great stuff...
Old 06-08-06, 10:11 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
I'm telling you guys.. check out Madicos Ceramic Metallic "Mac" line of products. Best heat reflection, clarity, and it works flawlessly w/ Navi's. I've never been happier w/ a tint. V-Kool actually still uses "metalic-metalic" (aluminum/nickel) film rather than the ceramic metal. They have 12 stacks of 2 types of metals (6 each) embedded causing the GPS interferance. If you took the V-Kool off already, give the Madico Mac a try. Great stuff...
Hmm, will have to check this out on my next car. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-08-06, 04:00 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Never used Madico, but have Formula One Pinnacle (their ceramic film) and love it. Compared the specs of Madico "Charcool" vs Formula One Pinnacle and while the % visible light transmitted doesn't match exactly between the 2 brands, overall it looks like Formula One has better heat rejection than Madico, although Madico does offer a 10% tint vs the darkest tint Formula One offers is 15%.
Old 06-10-06, 01:23 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toyemp
Never used Madico, but have Formula One Pinnacle (their ceramic film) and love it. Compared the specs of Madico "Charcool" vs Formula One Pinnacle and while the % visible light transmitted doesn't match exactly between the 2 brands, overall it looks like Formula One has better heat rejection than Madico, although Madico does offer a 10% tint vs the darkest tint Formula One offers is 15%.
Don't compare to the "Charcool".. try the Madico Advanced Ceramics line...
Old 06-10-06, 02:32 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the easiest stuff to find since Madico doesn't list it on their website. Finally found the specs and you're right, it does have slightly better properties than Formula One, though the darkest stuff I could find was only 33% (the MAC3000). Do they make darker versions? Any ideas on who carries this stuff in the SoCal (OC) area?

Quick Reply: V-kool is causing problems with my Navigation system in GS430 -2006 (metallic tint)