GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS shatterproof windows?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 12:34 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3GS shatterproof windows?

Hey everyone,

Recently, my friend parked in the lot of the local community college for some night classes and when he got back to it, he found holes in the glass as if someone was trying to break in by shattering the glass. Well, HIS car is a Mercedes-Benz S430, and so I was wondering if my GS has this feature as well?
He told me the story and asked if my GS had shatterproof windows as well, and I said I didn't know.
Hopefully yes, but if not... WHY NOT?
Old 05-22-06, 01:00 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i think films can do that easily

but i wouldnt want my windows to be shatter proof
because if i was trapped in the car and need to break a glass to get out, i need to be able to do so

or if emegency crew needs to get me out quickly, they are able to break the glass instead of getting the jaws of life and stuff
Old 05-22-06, 01:19 AM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Bullet Proof windows..

I bet those things are heavy and plus they would be very expensive to install as well...

MB produced some Armoured Vehicles, but those were expensive..
Old 05-22-06, 09:21 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

The material and installation are very expensive. It's not cost effective unless you are high profile.
Old 05-22-06, 01:54 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol bulletproof windows rock....

Old 05-24-06, 07:34 PM
UAL
Rookie

One of my colleague just bought a S550 and that has shatter-resistance glass on all of the doors. It's pretty neat, but if it's very expensive to replace. I believe it could only be replaced from the dealer, so that automatically means you're gonna get hit with a huge bill
Old 05-25-06, 07:11 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kissbang
Hey everyone,

Recently, my friend parked in the lot of the local community college for some night classes and when he got back to it, he found holes in the glass as if someone was trying to break in by shattering the glass. Well, HIS car is a Mercedes-Benz S430, and so I was wondering if my GS has this feature as well?
He told me the story and asked if my GS had shatterproof windows as well, and I said I didn't know.
Hopefully yes, but if not... WHY NOT?
not sure what your friend meant by "shatter-proof glass." All automotive glass break into little pellets (as opposed to shards like regular glass) when shattered. The windshield in addition has a plastic laminate. Window tint doesn't make the glass stronger, but when the window breaks it tends to stay as a sheet. True shatter- or bullet proof glass is thick, heavy, and an expensive option on some premium cars, such as S-class or 7 series. I don't belive the has that option.
Old 05-25-06, 09:56 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

All new Volvos can be optioned with reinforced glass all around. It can take up to 5 hits with a sledgehammer in the same exact spot before giving away and breaking. As a factory installed option it was around 300 bucks, but Im sure it is more expensive to replace.

To bad Lexus doesnt offer this at atleast an option.
Old 05-26-06, 02:17 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

Yeah, I guess he meant shatter-resistant... or I don't know. Haha. He is, infact, getting a replacement from MB, so yeah, expensive.
Old 05-31-06, 05:51 PM
kablaam
Driver School Candidate

I am unsure if the new '07's have it, but prior MB S' had double paned windows for insulation purposes. I'm assuming this may have some security/safety benefits as well.
Old 06-03-06, 01:18 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kablaam
I am unsure if the new '07's have it, but prior MB S' had double paned windows for insulation purposes. I'm assuming this may have some security/safety benefits as well.
I see. Well, I guess the GS doesn't have this feature. Oh darn. Hopefully, it won't happen, but I guess I should start looking at aftermarket alarm systems w/ breakage sensors.

Oh and yeah, the window did need to be ordered from MB.
Old 10-29-06, 02:32 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by GFerg
All new Volvos can be optioned with reinforced glass all around. It can take up to 5 hits with a sledgehammer in the same exact spot before giving away and breaking. As a factory installed option it was around 300 bucks, but Im sure it is more expensive to replace.

To bad Lexus doesnt offer this at atleast an option.
I wish Lexus had a department for protection and not having too find an outside company too armor their vehicles.
Old 10-29-06, 03:26 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

do you want an armoured GS? they sell them here

read down on the page, $ 125,000.00

http://www.theanncorp.com/newmercedes.html
Old 10-29-06, 04:08 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

From your original post, sounds like someone didnt know how to use a centerpunch properly, or use the right one....
those 3 dollar gadgets are a death sentence for automotive glass. It makes a very light thud(the glass doesnt make a noise) that will make tempered glass go into hundreds of pieces, but still in the original shape. It's a thieves best friend

If you have to have protection, theres nothing than better than the SUV's and trucks that get armor fitted for work over in the Middle-East. Rolling windows down or multiple high velocity assault rifle firing protections (so you'll be able to point and laugh at the guy with 9mm's threatening a carjack haha)... choices choices.

Last edited by okcfunky; 10-29-06 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-29-06, 07:25 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im surprised no one has offered the polymer alternative. Why not get some windows made of lexan? Its made of polycarbonate so its very light, transmits up to 86% of light, UV resistant, fire resistant, and can withstand up to 57 PSI of force. This is equivalent to a blast from 4,300 lbs of TNT at 115 ft. It can withstand any caliber of small arms up to 7.62mm NATO spec. Also it costs $4.37 per sq. foot. So this is far superior to any tempered glass for performance/price ratio.

Quick Reply: 3GS shatterproof windows?