GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's

Old 10-20-06, 04:01 PM
phinancer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone direct me to the instructions for navigation removal?
Old 10-20-06, 04:03 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phinancer
Can anyone direct me to the instructions for navigation removal?
It's on the first page of this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156160
Old 10-21-06, 09:20 PM
seany
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Now, you need to kill VSS going to the multidisplay, but you still need VSS to the Nav system. Take the violet wire that used to go from the wiring harness into the K46 Pin 14 connector and put your switch on that wire. Terminate the remaining end. Then connect the other side of the switch to to the white/black (white/grey in my car) wire that goes IN to h1 Pin 16. Again, terminate the remaining end (the end going into the display connector). Sounds a little confusing but basically this step is jumpering the two wires coming from the car with a switch in the middle and terminating the two ends coming from the display. This will switch VSS on & off to the Nav system but will leave the Multi-Display without a SPD signal.

What I found is that if you cut or remove only the VSS wire from k46 and ground the PKB wire, you can watch DVDs while in motion and dial the phone but you lose turn by turn guidance, GPS accuracy and the nav screen will not scroll smoothly. With the h1 switch mod, it operates as described above AND you can enter nav destinations while in motion. However, when you flip the switch, you can no longer enter nav destinations BUT you you regain turn by turn guidance, GPS accuracy, and smooth scrolling. Yes, it sucks but it works.

Couldn't have done the mod without all of the help from Sonartech! He is the Lexus electrical guru!!!!! Remember kids, don't try this at home.
hi,

i was just browsing and couldn't help it to share a few notes.
i don't (not anymore at least) a Lexus but with the same Toyota/Lexus 5th Generation Navigation. the Badge # on my unit is E7009 with 5.1 map dvd which i recently replaced the older E7004 unit I installed in 2004.

To make the long story short, as you know both Toyota & Lexus use same Nav units (along with many other audio/video/etc.) and even the wiring is very similar if not identical in many parts.

I, too, have, what I call, "temporary anytime-Nav" mod which is simply to disconnect/connect which I have had for over 3 years with 4th & 5th gen. nav units. I put this in place before the software "override" feature was found.
http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/inde...ndpost&p=44832

Just to elaborate on some behavior of this temp. anytime-nav in addition to what's already described here...

1. disconnecting (flip a switch) VSS signal to Nav gives you 30 seconds of "freedom" to all options
2. then the Nav unit will figure out expected signal (VSS) not being detected & log in the diag mode
3. also, Nav unit will update the current position 1/second (in 4th gen) but more frequently, just not a continuous movement, in 5th gen. If you don't know what you're looking for, you probably won't notice it in 5th gen.
4. after the first 30 seconds of "freedom", you have to reconnect (flip a switch) VSS signal for 5 seconds then you can try again.

5. this solution is good for playing DVD on Nav (in the all-in-one NAV unit) for, you guessed it, for 30 seconds as well. So this is not much a solution as for DVD bypass unless you have the older multi-unit Nav system (Nav ECU separate from Display unit).

I didn't remove this switch since this is much more convenient and quicker when I'm driving alone than going thru the override ritual.

hmmm.... now i'm thinking about getting an GS350... hmmm....
i suspected Toyota/Lexus might have done something when someone told me that they couldn't make a working copy with 6.1 map in the same E7009 unit as mine. I've made perfectly fine working copies since 3.1 to 5.1 map dvd's on Verbatim DVD+R DL.

OH, by the way, does GS350 have an auxiliary audio input for external audio sources like MP3 player?
I know 5th gen nav units has that feature built-in along with the Bluetooth.

Last edited by seany; 10-21-06 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-22-06, 10:16 AM
zlee1
Driver School Candidate

Sonartech,
I could use a little help with your combo DVD procedure. We have two 2006 GS with 5.1 (USA, working over-ride) and a 2007 RX with 6.1, non-working over-ride. I will need to create a total of 3 combo DVDs. First, I installed the 6.1 DVD into the 2006 GS. The screen displayed a "processing" screen. I waited about a half hour and nothing happened. I re-installed the 5.1 DVD and got the same "processing." It did not load either. After my heart attack, I restarted my car and the 5.1 worked again -whew! Should the 6.1 DVD work in a '06 GS? Did I wait long enough? Is there some other procedure?

So, I downloaded and paid for the "Ones" software you recommended. Just to confirm, I need to purchase a "double-layer" DVD. The 4.7 GB is not the right one to use. I have 2 relatively new DVD burners. Are they necessarily capable of burning a double layer DVD?

Lastly,
Once the combo (5.1 + 6.1) DVD is complete, what new features, if any, will be available? Will the cosmetics no be the same as the RX? Will the "bread crumbing" be available? or is it just the map data that is newer? Has the address book been updated to use voice dialing of contacts?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-23-06, 01:47 AM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by zlee1
Sonartech,
I could use a little help with your combo DVD procedure. We have two 2006 GS with 5.1 (USA, working over-ride) and a 2007 RX with 6.1, non-working over-ride. I will need to create a total of 3 combo DVDs. First, I installed the 6.1 DVD into the 2006 GS. The screen displayed a "processing" screen. I waited about a half hour and nothing happened. I re-installed the 5.1 DVD and got the same "processing." It did not load either. After my heart attack, I restarted my car and the 5.1 worked again -whew! Should the 6.1 DVD work in a '06 GS? Did I wait long enough? Is there some other procedure?

So, I downloaded and paid for the "Ones" software you recommended. Just to confirm, I need to purchase a "double-layer" DVD. The 4.7 GB is not the right one to use. I have 2 relatively new DVD burners. Are they necessarily capable of burning a double layer DVD?

Lastly,
Once the combo (5.1 + 6.1) DVD is complete, what new features, if any, will be available? Will the cosmetics no be the same as the RX? Will the "bread crumbing" be available? or is it just the map data that is newer? Has the address book been updated to use voice dialing of contacts?

Thanks for your advice.
First off, I have reason to believe that the combo-DVD (a fusion of v6.1 map data with a v5.1 LOADING.KWI file) is only necessary if you're concerned that your Nav System will re-load firmware automatically. I was, only because I disconnected my Nav System completely and knew that when I turned it back on after being unplugged for a while that it would indeed reload firmware from the DVD - and it did. Beyond that, the only perceived gain will be in updated Map and POI Data. I'm unaware of any additional features gained by using v6.1 over v5.1 since the idiots at Denso don't bother telling anyone what they actually changed, updated or modified like a respectible software publisher...We're just supposed to guess. From what I can tell after seeing v6.1, not a lot changed - certainly not enough to cause me to sacrifice my beloved "Over Ride" command.

I don't know what's up with your "Processing" error. I can't even find that string in the firmware, so I have no idea why it said that or where that came from. I doubt it was a firmware load because you would have seen the firmware loading screen with cautions directing you to not power-off the car, etc...

Yes, you will need a Dual-Layer DVD. There's 7.5 gigs of data to burn, and you can't "dither it down" like you can a DVD movie. I don't know if your burners will burn DVD+DL or DVD-DL, because "relatively new" is a relative term. If you mean "new" as in the last couple of months, I would be very surprised if they don't support DVD DL. I used DVD+DL, but I think DVD-DL's will work as well, but they are harder to locate and are usually more expensive.

Good Luck!

SonarTech
Old 10-23-06, 04:03 AM
zlee1
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your reply.
Old 10-25-06, 06:44 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default on the subject of creating a combo DVD...

Originally Posted by Sonartech
Answers:
  1. Version 5.1 and v6.1 are both 5th Gen, 2007 software. v5.1 shipped with my RX-350. 3 months later, v6.1 came with my ES-350. The only differences I can see are greatly improved map data (especially for my area), and the loss of the "Over Ride" option normally accessed via the Volume menu. Beyond that, version 5.1 firmware will read and use v6.1 map data just fine (and you can still use the override!). As for where you get a copy of v5.1's LOADING.KWI file, I couldn't tell you. I've never seen a Lexus Nav DVD on Usenet available for download. Even if I did, I'd be too creeped-out to use it and probably wouldn't, because I think the risk of loading "questionable" firmware from a "questionable" source into my Nav system is far too risky. I would definitely only use a loading.kwi file from a trusted source or from an actual v5.1 "U31" Nav DVD. I can just see it now: "SonarTech, I downloaded your v5.1 firmware and burned it to my CD and it screwed up my nav system in my 2001 RX, and the dealer wants $2000 dollars to fix it! It's YOUR fault because YOUR firmware didn't work like YOU said it would..." Uh, Yeah, let me just avoid that whole situation right now and say "NO SPANK YOU - Get your own firmware and take your own risk like I did!"
Cheers,

SonarTech
So - First off thanks to all for their contributions, I have done the wire mod...works as advertised!! However the combo DVD has not worked for me using 2 different burners/3 different types of software, so I reread all of the posts and saw something that caught my eye...use said v5.1 "U31" my 5.1 DVD has a U20 right above the D on the upper right hand side of the DVD....also my loading.kwi is a different size 49.81 vs yours that shows 45.85, perhaps this is why we are unable to create this combo dvd for the 2006 300? even though the 464210-0660 is the volume number?

Thanks - Michael
Old 10-25-06, 10:55 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS300ATL
So - First off thanks to all for their contributions, I have done the wire mod...works as advertised!! However the combo DVD has not worked for me using 2 different burners/3 different types of software, so I reread all of the posts and saw something that caught my eye...use said v5.1 "U31" my 5.1 DVD has a U20 right above the D on the upper right hand side of the DVD....also my loading.kwi is a different size 49.81 vs yours that shows 45.85, perhaps this is why we are unable to create this combo dvd for the 2006 300? even though the 464210-0660 is the volume number?

Thanks - Michael
This is an interesting new additional factor. Unfortunately, it's largely unknown and I can't begin to guesstimate what the differences are between all these "U" versions since the ***** at Denso don't have the Engrish skills necessary to tell us what we're actually paying for. However, I'm still very much inclined to believe there's not a lot of difference in structure or data format for the actual POI & MAP data - just the firmware. Of course, I could be talking out my ***, but in the absence of more reliable data, I'm going to suggest this may be the case. U20, though... Hmmm. That IS quite a step for just 1 years' worth of updates - ASSuming the U20, U30, U31 actually mean anything at all.

My wife's ES-350 was purchased about 3 months after my RX-350. The ES-350 came with U31 (D) v06.1 p/n 86271-53021 / 464210-0790. My RX-350 came with U30 (D) v05.1 p/n 86271-53020 / 464210-0629. The combo DVD I made is her entire v06.1 DVD with my v05.1 LOADING.KWI file. That is absolutely the only difference.

I have assisted someone else who couldn't make a DVD after multiple attempts, and the DVD I made for them worked fine. Have you been able to just make a successful 1:1 backup of either of your original NavDVD's and have them work? If NOT, then your problem's likely associated with your burning process. If you HAVE made a working backup, then there's something more sinister at work here... but I'll be damned if I know how to troubleshoot it not having access to the materials.

If the contents of your U20D match your new v6.1 DVD (mostly, I mean, not 1:1), then I still think you should be able to make a combo-DVD (U20D firmware w/ v6.1 MapDATA).

There is one other small factor that might be worth trying... A couple of people now have mentioned that they have only been able to make working 1:1 backup copies of their NavDVD's by "ripping" it first with one of the multiple DVD Rippers available. Normally, these rippers are used to remove CSS protection from movie DVD's, but they will also work on data (even though it's not typically protected). The software puts the DVD reader in a unique mode to combat the problems associated with trying to read structure protection and CSS from a movie DVD. It is possible that the IDIOTS at Denso tried applying their "Drain-Bramaged pinheads" to copy protection and dorked-up the ISO-9660 structure with their stupidity in the process. That would be my guess --- that these idiots are so busy touching themselves over this KIWI format they designed that they forgot how to actually author a data DVD and screwed it up... ($200 per update DVD buys a lot of hand lotion, socks and towels).

As such, I'm going to recommend that you use such a program to read your original DVD's to your HD before making your mutant DVD. I prefer Slysoft's AnyDVD myself because it sits in the system tray and silently removes CSS, Sony's structure protection and any other dog crap from any DVD that get placed in the drive. It may have cleansed my NavDVD's of some Denso-Dorko protection they added without my knowledge, since it IS loaded on my system and was active when I ripped my NavDVD's. The only way to verify that that did indeed affect the files would be to take a CRC of the original files FROM THE DVD DIRECTLY, copy them down to your system normally, then re-shoot CRC's for the files you copied. Compare the two. They SHOULD be the same, but if they aren't, then there is something unseen pootching the data as it peels off the DVD. Next, try AnyDVD or some other ripper and re-do the copy process and re-check the CRC's.

That would be my approach. Like I said - I really think the ALLDATA.KWI and other map data structure is the same between U20, U30 and U31. I refuse to give Denso any credit for being ingenious enough to actually make different versions of the NavDVD for each and every Nav unit they squirt out to Toyota. They just aren't that intelligent or they'd stop playing these stupid games with us in the first place.

Of course, that's just my opinion - and I could be wrong.

SonarTech
Old 10-28-06, 05:24 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw that Coastal Tech has a "lock pick" type of device that re-enables several features that stop when you start moving, including one that lets you add a backup camera to essentially get the same thing as a factory install version.

Questions:

They are showing it only for a Prius and one of the SUVs. Has anyone had experience with this device? What are the chances that this would work on my 06 GS (w/o ML/NAV)? I sent an e-mail to them, but they're not very good at answering the mail.

Their backup camera installation instructions talk about running a wire from the camera to the display. I would have thought that Lexus would have a camera video wire already in the bundle - does anyone know how they get the signal up?

Thanks
Old 10-28-06, 05:49 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hziemba
I saw that Coastal Tech has a "lock pick" type of device that re-enables several features that stop when you start moving, including one that lets you add a backup camera to essentially get the same thing as a factory install version.

Questions:

They are showing it only for a Prius and one of the SUVs. Has anyone had experience with this device? What are the chances that this would work on my 06 GS (w/o ML/NAV)? I sent an e-mail to them, but they're not very good at answering the mail.

Their backup camera installation instructions talk about running a wire from the camera to the display. I would have thought that Lexus would have a camera video wire already in the bundle - does anyone know how they get the signal up?

Thanks
From their website:

"We will have several new options available for the TOYOTA/LEXUS LOCKPICK. This will include the 2006-2007 Prius, the 2006 GS300/430 and the 2007 RX350 in the LOCKPICK applications. The shopping cart will be updated soon to include these vehicles."
Old 10-28-06, 07:18 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default Well...burning is not the problem....

Originally Posted by Sonartech
This is an interesting new additional factor. Unfortunately, it's largely unknown and I can't begin to guesstimate what the differences are between all these "U" versions since the ***** at Denso don't have the Engrish skills necessary to tell us what we're actually paying for. However, I'm still very much inclined to believe there's not a lot of difference in structure or data format for the actual POI & MAP data - just the firmware. Of course, I could be talking out my ***, but in the absence of more reliable data, I'm going to suggest this may be the case. U20, though... Hmmm. That IS quite a step for just 1 years' worth of updates - ASSuming the U20, U30, U31 actually mean anything at all.

If the contents of your U20D match your new v6.1 DVD (mostly, I mean, not 1:1), then I still think you should be able to make a combo-DVD (U20D firmware w/ v6.1 MapDATA).

There is one other small factor that might be worth trying... A couple of people now have mentioned that they have only been able to make working 1:1 backup copies of their NavDVD's by "ripping" it first with one of the multiple DVD Rippers available. Normally, these rippers are used to remove CSS protection from movie DVD's, but they will also work on data (even though it's not typically protected). The software puts the DVD reader in a unique mode to combat the problems associated with trying to read structure protection and CSS from a movie DVD. It is possible that the IDIOTS at Denso tried applying their "Drain-Bramaged pinheads" to copy protection and dorked-up the ISO-9660 structure with their stupidity in the process. That would be my guess --- that these idiots are so busy touching themselves over this KIWI format they designed that they forgot how to actually author a data DVD and screwed it up... ($200 per update DVD buys a lot of hand lotion, socks and towels).

As such, I'm going to recommend that you use such a program to read your original DVD's to your HD before making your mutant DVD. I prefer Slysoft's AnyDVD myself because it sits in the system tray and silently removes CSS, Sony's structure protection and any other dog crap from any DVD that get placed in the drive. It may have cleansed my NavDVD's of some Denso-Dorko protection they added without my knowledge, since it IS loaded on my system and was active when I ripped my NavDVD's. The only way to verify that that did indeed affect the files would be to take a CRC of the original files FROM THE DVD DIRECTLY, copy them down to your system normally, then re-shoot CRC's for the files you copied. Compare the two. They SHOULD be the same, but if they aren't, then there is something unseen pootching the data as it peels off the DVD. Next, try AnyDVD or some other ripper and re-do the copy process and re-check the CRC's.

That would be my approach. Like I said - I really think the ALLDATA.KWI and other map data structure is the same between U20, U30 and U31. I refuse to give Denso any credit for being ingenious enough to actually make different versions of the NavDVD for each and every Nav unit they squirt out to Toyota. They just aren't that intelligent or they'd stop playing these stupid games with us in the first place.

Of course, that's just my opinion - and I could be wrong.

SonarTech
ok this 5.1 U20 version is apparently the problem as I very simply copied my working 5.1 to a folder then burnt a new dvd and it works perfectly....oh well

one more thing...my 5.1 U20 dvd does not have a folder ASYNTH as the 6.1 DVD has....I must have an original release.....I wonder what functionality is missing?

Last edited by GS450h FTL; 10-28-06 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 06:13 AM
p34m23
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil Maint Requd

I guess I am missing something, but when I press the "ODO TRIP" button in the switch box - It cycles through 3 things "Trip A", Trip B", and "ODO" - I am not seeing it go blank.?? Please help.....
Old 10-30-06, 06:18 AM
p34m23
Driver School Candidate

Is "OIL MAINT RESET" and "OIL MAINT REQUD" two different messages or are we referring to the same thing (the warning light I am getting says "OIL MAINT REQUD")???
Old 10-30-06, 09:02 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default hit the reset button

Originally Posted by p34m23
I guess I am missing something, but when I press the "ODO TRIP" button in the switch box - It cycles through 3 things "Trip A", Trip B", and "ODO" - I am not seeing it go blank.?? Please help.....
while on trip A or trip B hit the reset button...
Old 10-31-06, 10:44 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Disabling side mirrors from pointing down at backup

The side mirrors automatically tilt down when in reverse, this can be disabled by pressing the left or right button to adjust mirrors twice to where the little LED turns off...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's