GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Considering a new GS - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 07:43 AM
ariana8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a new GS - a few questions

We are in the process of replacing a pair of 10+ year old cars (as you can see we tend to keep cars longer than some people do). Our old Ford Explorer is already gone, replaced by a GX470. While spouse strongly prefers SUVs, the best smaller one we found was the RX350 and two similar Lexus SUVs at the same time may not be quite what we want. So she is trying to talk herself into a <shudder> real CAR this time around.

Among the Lexus brands (we may look at the Toyota Avalon and Acura RL, TL and TSX but I don't expect too much interest in any of them) it seems that the GS 300 and GS 430 are the cars in the low to mid $50K range (with some options added) and the IS 250, IS 350 and ES 350 are in the around $40K range.

The GS 300 is all wheel drive V6 with 21/27 listed mileage and the GS 430 is rear wheel drive V8 with 18/25 listed mileage. Interior and exterior listed specs on the two GS models are similar.

A few questions before we get too serious.

1. If we leave price to the side (we can do the math ourselves) and ignore style and appearance and road feel (a LOT to leave off but really too subjective for anyone else's opinion to matter very much) is there any non-obvious reason to consider the less expensive models? Or are they basically in the line-up for those looking for cars in a lower price range or those who find them more visually appealing or better handling? (we would not get the current ES we would wait for the new one next month if we chose that model).

2. I assume the 430 has somewhat more pep than the 300 and maybe a few more luxury features as the trade-off for the lower mileage, greater cost and lack of all wheel drive. Within the same parameters as above, is there any non-obvious reason to go with one rather than the other apart from those mentioned?

3. At the risk of generating fanboi flame <smiles> are there any alternative models that we should be seriously considering in this price range? Omitting anything German or wider then the GX 470 (74" - our garage has let it be known that it prefers a narrower second car and we are willing to humor it).

4. Despite having an SUV, we still want the second vehicle to be able to handle reasonably bad road conditions (hereinafter referred to as "snow"). We have a long-established understanding that AWD is better than FWD for snow and FWD is better than RWD. Which leads to the conclusion that the 430 is distinctly inferior (being RWD) once the white stuff hits the ground. I'm referring to snow in moderate quantities on paved roads not off-road driving in snow or the rare (where we live) 2 foot+ blizzard.

Are current RWD vehicles in general, or the 430 specifically, a lot better in snow than we believe or is our understanding reasonably accurate and as a RWD vehicle the 430 will tend to not only be less reliable in snow that the 300 as a AWD vehicle but also less reliable than FWD vehicles such as the Avalon, TL or TSX although <adding hastily> surely far better in many other respects?

Thanks for any input. How we feel when we actually test drive these models is likely to be the critical consideration, but the more we know the better the final decision is likely to be.

Last edited by ariana8; 03-22-06 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-22-06, 10:22 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi, and welcome

(1) the IS is a very different car. i have the GS but tested the IS and it's entirely a different feel inside as a driver. there is very little usable rear legroom and the driver cabin is much more cramped than i expected. i still like it alot. but it's like choosing between a 3 and 5 series BMW. sure the 3 is less $$$, but some people buy it anyway not because of cost, but for the compact feel. i like mid size sedans better, which is why i've always had a GS. if you have a need for space in the back, you might lean towards the GS. i wouldn't be surprised if that's how a lot of buyers ended up rationalizing one over the other in the end. (but i do like the new IS and might be replacing the SC next year w/ an IS conv )

(2) the 430 has A LOT more pep then the 300. very noticeable. BUT - the 350 is coming out soon and will basically meet the 430 until the GS 460 is released in 2007. and the 460 will be a beast!! if you like power, i would wait for the 350 at least. if fuel efficiency is important to you, the V6 might be more suitable since the V8 is more of a gas hog. (or, if fuel eff is REALLY impt, wait and get the GS hybrid, which will knock the socks off the 430/350/300 in perf and consump)

(3) leaving out the German brands, the closest competitor is the infiniti M 35/45, which has gotten a lot of praise this past year. you will find a ton of discussion around March 2005 on this board debating which is "better". try a search for "infiniti M"

(4) AWD obviously is preferable if you live in snowy conditions for a large part of the year, but the 430's VDIM supposedly does a good job of handling in the snow. i can't speak for it personally since i live in California, but there are threads on here discussing the merits of VDIM in the snow. try a search "VDIM snow"

hope that helps somewhat, good luck in your search!
Old 04-05-06, 08:41 AM
ariana8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to close this off - belated thanks for the reply.

The subject was covered in a broader thread by spouse in a different forum here, but you may not have known the two were related.