GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

so i worked on a 06 gs 430

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 04:24 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_LEX
But how often are you going to notice that you need to brake in less than 120ft?
Not sure about you, but I want the best brake $ can afford. Because I and my family don't want to be crushed when a 18 wheeler ran a stop light - it is $ well spent even if I benefit from shorter stopping distance only once in my entire life. Brake is a safety item, I would put my $ to improve braking performance before improving engine performance.
Old 11-01-05, 05:00 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone read the manual? It CLEARLY states that the brakes AND rotors on our GS430 are high friction brakes and "may" need replacing as soon as 20K miles. It also says the rotors and pads should be replaced together. This is not something new.... It's in black and white.
Old 11-01-05, 05:36 PM
GS4_LEX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Not sure about you, but I want the best brake $ can afford. Because I and my family don't want to be crushed when a 18 wheeler ran a stop light - it is $ well spent even if I benefit from shorter stopping distance only once in my entire life. Brake is a safety item, I would put my $ to improve braking performance before improving engine performance.

I agree with you that you one would hope they have the breaking distance when it is needed. But on the same note - what was your stopping distance on your last vehicle? Do you own an SUV? I am sure those do not set any records. Times have changed and the manufacturers put out new numbers to out do each other all the while we think its what we must have. If you have lived without the great brake performance until recently then why all of the sudden a need to have them? If brakes are the biggest factor for most then they would have put them on a long time ago. Brembo and other manufacturers have had great brake kits a long time ago and car manufacturers could have adopted their ideas years ago - why haven't they? Porsche has, AMG has, even Corvette took design cues from Brembo.

These cars are getting faster and faster and NOW they need to stop shorter and shorter. I am sure a Toyota Camry isn't going to need to stop in 120ft. Since that stopping distance is near the stopping distances of Porsche, BMW, Mercedes.

Its all relative to what your needs are and I am sure that mercedes S class and CLS class don't brake in less than 125ft. 60-0.
Old 11-01-05, 08:03 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_LEX
I agree with you that you one would hope they have the breaking distance when it is needed. But on the same note - what was your stopping distance on your last vehicle? Do you own an SUV? I am sure those do not set any records. Times have changed and the manufacturers put out new numbers to out do each other all the while we think its what we must have. If you have lived without the great brake performance until recently then why all of the sudden a need to have them? If brakes are the biggest factor for most then they would have put them on a long time ago. Brembo and other manufacturers have had great brake kits a long time ago and car manufacturers could have adopted their ideas years ago - why haven't they? Porsche has, AMG has, even Corvette took design cues from Brembo.

These cars are getting faster and faster and NOW they need to stop shorter and shorter. I am sure a Toyota Camry isn't going to need to stop in 120ft. Since that stopping distance is near the stopping distances of Porsche, BMW, Mercedes.

Its all relative to what your needs are and I am sure that mercedes S class and CLS class don't brake in less than 125ft. 60-0.
I still own RX300 and looking to buy 06 or 07 GS 430 to replace my 2nd generation TL. The SUV's stock brake sucks because RX is heavier than ES but its brake is inferior. No BBK is ever made for RX because there is no demand. But with Brembo and Rotora rotors, ceramic pads, and high temp brake fluid, I stop better than 95% of RX, only inferior to those who can afford a custom designed brakes. Not that I am satisfied, but I am pretty close to the limit the car and aftermarket products offer.
Demand and cost are factors that automakers takes into account and satisfy primary goal of making $ (sorry not safety and "driving pleasure" as their ads say). For most of Lexus owners, they could care less about how many pistons in their calipers or vane being directional or not, why would Lexus increase its production and design cost to people who won't pay for it anyway. A good example of segmenting end user is Acura offers Brembo for its 3rd generation TL with 6 speed manual because people who prefers to drive a stick tends to drive faster and pays a premium for braking performance. 5 speed auto model offers the cheaper Honda brake.
You are right that faster car needs better brakes, but when I want to stop to avoid accident, I do not think I drive a SUV or sedan, Lexus or Acura, rotor wear or pad life. I slam on the brake so I can stop and walk away alive.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 11-01-05 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-28-06, 09:45 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

ok back to the orginal post. guess what same car came back at 28k. guess what

he needs brakes. front and rear.
i think this time im going to go on a test drive with the cust to see how they are driving.
i think they are driving with 2 feet.

btw heres the history

10k front and rear brakes
15k c service min (lof rot)
19k front and rear brakes and lof
complained about the bass fadding in and out
24k c service min (lof rot)
28k front and rear brakes and c service min(lof rot)
installed new amp

ive worked on that car since the it had 19k. and that was arround the same date the original post was made

Last edited by koolaidman; 01-28-06 at 09:49 PM.