GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: What gas do you purchase for your car?
Premium Only - I need all the ponies!
74.65%
Midgrade Only - Not primo but better than regular
8.33%
Regular - It's all the same to me
11.11%
Depends - Sometimes I feel like a premium, sometimes I don't
5.90%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Merged 3GS Fuel Threads - Is it OK to use REGULAR gas Instead of PREMIUM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 02:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

just stick with premium....
Old 05-13-08, 03:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The modern engines in our Lexus vehicles are very well engineered and designed to use Premium unleaded fuel. It's not because we have a Lexus, we must only use premium. These engines are high compression motors. High compression motors require the use of higher octane fuels. Knock sensors are there to reduce/eliminate predetonation or knocking but it's not designed to band aid knocking conditions using lower octane fuels. The factory recommends certain fuels to use for a reason and which is why they are published in your owners manual. The consumer watchdogs lead to tell you it's a waste, but they forget to tell you what consequences there are in the long run. Then you're stuck with a large repair bill later down the road.

If the cost of fuel is not an economical choice at this time, it's probably best to downgrade to a more fuel efficent car that does not require the use of premium unleaded fuel.

Last edited by flipside909; 05-13-08 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 03:23 PM
orbital817
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The modern engines in our Lexus vehicles are very well engineered and designed to use Premium unleaded fuel. It's not because we have a Lexus, we must only use premium. These engines are high compression motors. High compression motors require the use of higher octane fuels. Knock sensors are there to reduce/eliminate predetonation or knocking but it's not designed to band aid knocking conditions using lower octane fuels. The factory recommends certain fuels to use for a reason and which is why they are published in your owners manual. The consumer watchdogs lead to tell you it's a waste, but they forget to tell you what consequences there are in the long run. Then you're stuck with a large repair bill later down the road.

If the cost of fuel is not an economical choice at this time, it's probably best to downgrade to a more fuel efficent car that does not require the use of premium unleaded fuel.
I couldn't have said it any better. Well put.
Old 05-13-08, 03:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my rule of thumb:

you won't get rich saving 10 cents/gal on gas!

so fuggetaboutit.

i fill up once a week. 18 gals x .30 difference between crappy and premium. = $5.40
one year savings = $260. but really, you can't foresee the long term damage.

And is the mileage really identical between 87 and premium octane?

gas is not an area to be cheap on.

you can save $260 by not going to Booger King.
Old 05-13-08, 04:02 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I see and understand everything you guys say. I have the 06 model gs300 and in the manual it states lower grade fuel is ok if premium isn't used and if knocking is heard or occurs to switch back to premium.

as for having a high comp motor that is correct and is right for older vehicles. my fit has similar compression ratio and using regular fuel is fine. regular fuel is actually more fuel efficient due to it burning slower only if the engine can take it.
Old 05-13-08, 04:05 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, stick with the Premium if you are buying the Lexus. Saving only about $200 bucks a year isn't worth the possible headaches later on.
Old 05-13-08, 04:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Net Junky
I see and understand everything you guys say. I have the 06 model gs300 and in the manual it states lower grade fuel is ok if premium isn't used and if knocking is heard or occurs to switch back to premium.

as for having a high comp motor that is correct and is right for older vehicles. my fit has similar compression ratio and using regular fuel is fine. regular fuel is actually more fuel efficient due to it burning slower only if the engine can take it.
The 06 GS300 has a 3GR-FSE 3.0L V6 has a 11.5:1 c/r. Knock sensors are not exactly cheap. Your Honda Fit has a 10:4:1 c/r and was designed/ engineered to use regular unleaded as it is geared for fuel economy.
Old 05-13-08, 05:17 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whlkev
if i say what i really want to say, I'll get banned...
PG-13 version is ok, right?...

Last edited by SilverSprt; 05-16-08 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 05:35 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flipside909
The 06 GS300 has a 3GR-FSE 3.0L V6 has a 11.5:1 c/r. Knock sensors are not exactly cheap. Your Honda Fit has a 10:4:1 c/r and was designed/ engineered to use regular unleaded as it is geared for fuel economy.
Don't get me wrong I will use Premium as much as possible but the car is capable of using lesser grades if needed.

I use regular for my Fit, and premium or 89 octane for my GS.

As for mileage lower grade fuel lasts longer and provide more MPG. Premium fuel burns cleaner and makes our engine have less gunk.

As for the sensors the only time it would break is if we have extremely heavy knock and the only car I have had it broke on me is my old MR2 turbo where I'd have to mod it to use a GM sensor just to last longer.
Old 05-13-08, 05:43 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not gonna save .30 cents per gallon in the risk of damaging the motor. Also please dont compare a POS honda FIT to a Lexus GS.
Old 05-13-08, 06:06 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
I'm not gonna save .30 cents per gallon in the risk of damaging the motor. Also please dont compare a POS honda FIT to a Lexus GS.
I am not comparing the 2 vehicles in any way except compression ratios. Wow there are some high strung people on this forum.
Old 05-13-08, 07:49 PM
ISFTwins
Driver

Like you said, the Fit is your commuter and a good 'beat-runner' and parking lot car. Your GS should not be treated the same way -- and if your not commuting in the GS the difference in gas price is probably a matter of cents/year and not dollars/hundreds of dollars per year!
Old 05-13-08, 08:48 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Net Junky

As for mileage lower grade fuel lasts longer and provide more MPG. Premium fuel burns cleaner and makes our engine have less gunk.
Lower grade fuels don't last longer or provide more MPG. That's a total myth. If this was a fact, this would be published in all manufacturer's owners manuals as a recommendation. I really don't think the cost of saving a few pennies per gallon vs. the replacement of knock sensors and engine carbon removal will benefit in the long run. With the cost of electronics and the ever increasing cost of labor rates for these cars, it will cost more to fix what you saved money on in the first place.

Your Lexus was engineered to run at it's maximum efficiency (power & economy) with premium unleaded. Nothing lower.
Old 05-13-08, 08:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I also forgot to add, if you're really looking to get better fuel economy, you should do many things like...

Keep your engine tuned
Check/replace your air filters regularly
Drive carefully, keep the speeds down, no jackrabbit starts
Remove excess weight from the car
and most importantly...
KEEP YOUR TIRES INFLATED PROPERLY!
Old 05-13-08, 09:06 PM
SiccMonkey
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
I wouldnt call the FIT a POS ...yea it is a cheap car and does not compare to the GS..nor is it supposed to. I like my FIT it comes in handy when i need to haul crap around
As far as gas goes honestly it is like what a $2 or $3 dollar difference each time you pump? just pump the good stuff!!

Quick Reply: Merged 3GS Fuel Threads - Is it OK to use REGULAR gas Instead of PREMIUM?