GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just changed from the 5 series to the new GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 06:42 PM
Michael Ng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just changed from the 5 series to the new GS

I have been a 5 series driver for a long time and just got my new GS300 two weeks ago. My impressions are these:

Pros:
The technology in this car is fantastic. I like the simplicity of the touch screen and its intuitive usage. I love the bluetooth which is a big improvement for me, it is very reliable and connects up everytime. I like the very smooth and comfortable drive and also the ML is great. The keyless start is also a very good implementation and a big step up for me. The car seems to anticipate everything I need from lighting up when I walk to the car, the turning on the headlights when it is dark, turning on the wiper when it rains, dimming the rear mirror when there is glare and I am finding out more everyday.

Cons:
I think overall handling is still not as good as the 5. I am used to heavier steering. I also find that it does not hug the road as well as the 5. This is especially so when I take corners at a high speed. The doors does not seem as heavy. I think that the 5 series styling is more distinctive. Other then that I cannot think of anything else.

Overall, I am a happy camper. It is a great car. For anyone who does not want to pay more for the perceived prestige of MB and BMW and get less value, I think this is the perfect car for a combination of ride comfort and luxury.
Old 04-05-05, 06:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Michael Ng
I have been a 5 series driver for a long time and just got my new GS300 two weeks ago. My impressions are these:

Pros:
The technology in this car is fantastic. I like the simplicity of the touch screen and its intuitive usage. I love the bluetooth which is a big improvement for me, it is very reliable and connects up everytime. I like the very smooth and comfortable drive and also the ML is great. The keyless start is also a very good implementation and a big step up for me. The car seems to anticipate everything I need from lighting up when I walk to the car, the turning on the headlights when it is dark, turning on the wiper when it rains, dimming the rear mirror when there is glare and I am finding out more everyday.

Cons:
I think overall handling is still not as good as the 5. I am used to heavier steering. I also find that it does not hug the road as well as the 5. This is especially so when I take corners at a high speed. The doors does not seem as heavy. I think that the 5 series styling is more distinctive. Other then that I cannot think of anything else.

Overall, I am a happy camper. It is a great car. For anyone who does not want to pay more for the perceived prestige of MB and BMW and get less value, I think this is the perfect car for a combination of ride comfort and luxury.
Welcome to Clublexus!! Thanks for sharing, please check the rollcall sticky!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...57#post1269857
Old 04-05-05, 07:58 PM
jyg es3
Driver

Default which 5 did you own?

Pros:

Cons:

which 5? e39 528/530 or 540 . MT / auto standard or sport?
Old 04-05-05, 08:33 PM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

Congrats!

Since you mention handling, did you happen to test drive the Infiniti M as well?
It supposedly handles and drives most like the 5 series.

Last edited by psteng19; 04-06-05 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-05-05, 09:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the new GS!!!

You made an excellent decision, and I hope you enjoy your Lexus for years to come!
Old 04-05-05, 09:39 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the Lexus family.

With the handling, just give it some time. If the 2GS is any indication, there will be aftermarket pieces to tighten up the 3GS to make you not miss your 5 so much.
Old 04-05-05, 10:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Welcome to CL! Very international we are!
Old 04-06-05, 04:45 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Welcome to Club Lexus

The suspension kits will be available from TRD (Toyota Racing Development) and others eventually. The steering is always lighter on the Lexus than its German counterparts. The assist is electric instead of a pump. It is quicker and has less inertia but will take some getting used to. Tires can make a big difference. I find that this car handles better with 18" wheels and Bridgestone Potenzas Summer tires. We get 100% runflats in our area. You need to reuse your tire pressure sensors which are in your valve stems if you change Wheels/ tires. They are electronically registered to your GS. Best of Luck and enjoy the Lexus experience.
Old 04-06-05, 06:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Congratulations for the new ride
Old 04-06-05, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I

I think overall handling is still not as good as the 5. I am used to heavier steering. I also find that it does not hug the road as well as the 5. .
Congragulations and welcome to CL. I test-drove a new GS 300 AWD a few weeks ago and I agree the steering was a little light for my tastes, too...but otherwise I'd take the GS over the new Chris Bangle 5-series in a heartbeat. I don't think you wll be disappointed.
The new GS, by the way, uses an electric booster system for the steering with a little servo motor and sensors that varies the amount of boost with speed, yaw rate, body roll, etc....
Old 04-06-05, 08:16 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Default Infiniti Moved?

Originally Posted by Rockville
The steering is always lighter on the Lexus than its German counterparts.
Hey, nobody told me Infiniti moved from Japan to Germany. I would have sent a gift!

I could not help it...I miss you Rock!

PS: I still have not seen one GS or M on the roads, and I have a 70 mile roundtrip commute every day on the PA Turnpike. I want to see both of these cars "in action."
Old 04-06-05, 08:20 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marcpitch
Hey, nobody told me Infiniti moved from Japan to Germany. I would have sent a gift!

PS: I still have not seen one GS or M on the roads, and I have a 70 mile roundtrip commute every day on the PA Turnpike. I want to see both of these cars "in action."
I've seen three different ones in Stamford, CT
Old 04-06-05, 09:21 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice!
Old 04-06-05, 01:23 PM
NEWGS
Driver School Candidate

Over here in Singapore, over 250 GS300 were sold before the official launch.

Will be collecting mine next week. Black with grey interior. Had to wait for the second shipment coz I ordered mine with the moonroof.
Old 04-06-05, 01:56 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Originally Posted by marcpitch

I've seen two M's here on long island.. have yet to see one GS...

Quick Reply: Just changed from the 5 series to the new GS