GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

just compared M45 to GS430, and the winner is...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-05, 02:46 PM
jjl12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exactly

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's for all those daipers he needs to haul while he's carving through a mountain run.
Diapers...and strollers, not to mention golf clubs, while carving through a mountain run.
Old 04-03-05, 04:16 PM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hameed
I would still drive both for a weekend before I pulled the plug if I were in your shoes. Neither car is cheap and I don't think it is fair to judge either solely on numbers (power etc) or some subjective looks.
It really depends. A test drive may lure him closer to the M.
If he's into a sporty ride, the M will be the obvious choice.
If he wants a quiet and cushy ride, then the GS will be better than the M.
Old 04-03-05, 04:51 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

The thing that really stands out in these pics is that the M seems to have more detail and charachter overall and looks very sporty, while the GS seems more simple in design and looks a little more classy.
Old 04-03-05, 05:12 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
, while the GS looks a little more classy.
You got it.

This is the whole thing about Lexus. They've never said " Relentless pursuit of FASTEST". They just want to make a perfect balance car with quality, reliability, customer service, resale and decent power.

I know the M45, G35 and the new Infinity line up are nice, but Infinity is going after the BMW. You may find yourself a little uncomfortable at the E46fanatic or any of the BMW forums, because they will tear you the new one.

I've seen you posts on here for the past few weeks. What's borther you about the GS? It's look like the Altima that copy the designed of the 2GS from the rear overhang and then some, and now you think the GS is copying the Altima. I think you got it backward. I'm out and done with topic.
Old 04-03-05, 05:18 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default VDIM trumps the M45 when the going gets wet...

Since these cars will be taken out on real roads and it rains sometimes and even snows sometimes the VDIM is the antidote to bad conditions. If you still need more power then one year later the 450h arrives with VDIM and enough passing power to say bye bye to the M45. I'm not knocking the M45 really as everyone seems to like it and that's a good sign. The GS430/450h just gives you more technology to make sure you live to see your son graduate High School. Suspension mods are coming from TRD if you want to customize your ride and not violate any warranty. There are more Lexus Dealers to give you support and better parts supply than Infiniti. Of course I'm more than a little biased about this special car. VDIM is the truth! Take them both out in the rain and thrash 'em but don't bash 'em. Everytime I look at the rear view of the M45 I see Altima too, LB.

Last edited by Rockville; 04-03-05 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-03-05, 06:03 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
The thing that really stands out in these pics is that the M seems to have more detail and charachter overall and looks very sporty, while the GS seems more simple in design and looks a little more classy.
You forgot to add an IMO to your simplistic statement. Since you have made your opinion clear as to your preference towards the M why do you waste time on the 3rd Gen forum? Was your experience with your LS so bad that you have a grudge against Lexus?

If you took the photos on this Thread and gave them to someone with no knowledge or interest in this class of car no one would see either as having "more detail or character" or "simple in design".
Old 04-03-05, 06:09 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

That's my first view of the M45 and i have to say, the exterior has me very impressed. Any pics of the inside?

John
Old 04-03-05, 06:10 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VVT-i
You got it.

This is the whole thing about Lexus. They've never said " Relentless pursuit of FASTEST". They just want to make a perfect balance car with quality, reliability, customer service, resale and decent power.

I know the M45, G35 and the new Infinity line up are nice, but Infinity is going after the BMW. You may find yourself a little uncomfortable at the E46fanatic or any of the BMW forums, because they will tear you the new one.

I've seen you posts on here for the past few weeks. What's borther you about the GS? It's look like the Altima that copy the designed of the 2GS from the rear overhang and then some, and now you think the GS is copying the Altima. I think you got it backward. I'm out and done with topic.
Actually, the posts I've seen on BMW forums have been pretty complimentary. Haven't seen many oohs or aahs about the new GS, but a bunch of people (the ones who don't mind AT) are thinking of switching to the M35/45. There's also a large cadre who plan to switch to the IS, or would if it would have a MT in the 350. I'm sure some will be content with the IS250, though, now that we know the press release had a typo. Yet another group either left BMW or concurrently owns a variety of Mazda products.

I don't hang out on E46fanatics, so maybe the reaction on that board is different. But from everything I've seen, many (not all, of course) are being open minded and fully embracing the sporty Japanese alternatives.
Old 04-03-05, 06:18 PM
tmds
Driver School Candidate

Smile My car... on a Lexus forum?

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Both black and tinted! Both look good.
Hey, it's my car!

I saw a Flint Mica GS while I was out biking this morning. As an M owner, I've gotta say that I really like the looks of both. The M is more my style (obviously, since I bought one), but the GS has a terrific balance of sleek lines and overall shape. I especially like my new friend, the black 5% tinted GS you've included above. Is that a tinted windshield? Awesome! I feel like I'm already on thin ice with my 15% tint here in Los Angeles. Keeping my fingers crossed, so to speak.

Anyhow, these two cars trump everything else in the market, in my opinion. Every time I see a 5 series, I can't help but laugh and shake my head in disgust. Poor sukers. Oh sorry, I should be more civil. It's just hard not to laugh at someone who spends so much more for something so... uh... unpleasant to look at. I can't wait to see some more GSs and Ms on the road!

More photos for you guys. Hope you don't mind the M content on your GS forum!

One of our governor's best movies...
Old 04-03-05, 07:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by tmds
Hey, it's my car!

I saw a Flint Mica GS while I was out biking this morning. As an M owner, I've gotta say that I really like the looks of both. The M is more my style (obviously, since I bought one), but the GS has a terrific balance of sleek lines and overall shape. I can't wait to see some more GSs and Ms on the road!

More photos for you guys. Hope you don't mind the M content on your GS forum!

Hey welcome to CL. We welcome the owners like you to come discuss these great cars in a civil way. It's the trolls that don't have either car that ruin it for everyone. I agree with you, it's great to see more GS & M's on the road to go after the E's and the 5 Series dominating our Southern California freeways.
Old 04-03-05, 07:52 PM
jjl12
Rookie

Default 545

not to threadjack my own thread, but i actually like the way the 545 looks, the 18 inch rims really save that car. anything under 18 inch rims and the 545 looks bloated. the interior of the 545 is not to my liking, though, too minimalist...

oh, and how come the GS doesn't offer the rear DVD player like the M? that would come in handy on long trips with the kids...
Old 04-03-05, 08:04 PM
tmds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjl12
not to threadjack my own thread, but i actually like the way the 545 looks, the 18 inch rims really save that car. anything under 18 inch rims and the 545 looks bloated. the interior of the 545 is not to my liking, though, too minimalist...

oh, and how come the GS doesn't offer the rear DVD player like the M? that would come in handy on long trips with the kids...
The wheel-wells in the latest generation of mid-size luxury sport sedans are enormous! The 19" wheels on my M look like they're the "right" size for the car, but mostly because the wheel wells are a size that would have previously been reserved for trucks!

I agree that wheels can really make a car. I love the 19" wheels on my M. But I disagree about the 5. Even with the very nicest wheels (such as the new M5's wheel package), the overall design is just awkward. Clearly high-performance and high in the "means business" quotient, but awkward nonetheless.

The options on the GS and M have several differences in the details. Comparing a fully-loaded M to a fully-loaded GS shows some of those details. I get a rear monitor, the GS gets rain-sensing wipers (to be honest, I can't believe the M doesn't even offer them). I like the rear monitor, but obviously there are dozens of after-market options for rear entertainment in your GSs. Mine is a lease, though, so I'm happy the monitor is a factory option.
Old 04-03-05, 08:13 PM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rockville
Since these cars will be taken out on real roads and it rains sometimes and even snows sometimes the VDIM is the antidote to bad conditions. If you still need more power then one year later the 450h arrives with VDIM and enough passing power to say bye bye to the M45. I'm not knocking the M45 really as everyone seems to like it and that's a good sign. The GS430/450h just gives you more technology to make sure you live to see your son graduate High School. Suspension mods are coming from TRD if you want to customize your ride and not violate any warranty. There are more Lexus Dealers to give you support and better parts supply than Infiniti. Of course I'm more than a little biased about this special car. VDIM is the truth! Take them both out in the rain and thrash 'em but don't bash 'em. Everytime I look at the rear view of the M45 I see Altima too, LB.
The performance numbers for the GS450h (I thought it was 460h?) are out already?
How did you get your hands on it?
How much weight do the electric components add to the GS430?
Old 04-03-05, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Awesome thread! 1Sick - the side by side pics are perfect, thanks! Black definitely makes both cars look their best I'd say.

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Agreed and they continue to do those things. But it also seems like Lexus is somewhat conflicted. When they brought out the SC430 they ran those awesome ads which were very much about passion, emotions, etc., not just a reliable comfy car with decent power and dealers that treat you nice. The IS was also a part of the step away from those things with even a not conservative boy racer type interior. They know they need some excitement or they run the risk of being labelled as boring.
Old 04-03-05, 08:24 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The numbers are very vague...

We are advised by the factory folk that the GS450h will arrive in May '06 as an '07 and will be the top performance model in the GS series. Not long after that I expect the GS460 normally aspirated dual VVT direct injection V8 to be added to the stable with the GS350. My predictions are deductive yet have factory verification. In some cases I am surprised by the information for instance I had assumed that the GS450h would be AWD until January 10th when we were told that it was going to use the 310 HP 3.5 V6 paired with the electric motor/generator in a rear wheel drive configuration. Most writers have dubbed it the most significant new model at the New York autoshow. I have three orders as of today for the GS450h. Passing power will be its forte. M45 will need new shoes to keep up!

Quick Reply: just compared M45 to GS430, and the winner is...