GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sequential Lighting missed a light

Old 03-21-05, 07:41 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sequential Lighting missed a light

One of the challenging things with the Smart Entry system is the opening of doors. More specifically is what doors should get opened. I have choosen to only open up the driver side doors. I prefer this for security reasons. I don't want my wife to get into the car with the opposite side doors unlocked. It works really great, but the passenger side door needs to be opened up either by the door lock switch or the key pod button. Since the key is typically deep within my pocket these days, I always choose the door lock switch. But only if Lexus remembered to light these switches in the same series as the sequential lighting, or any time you open up the drivers door.

It is very tough to see the switch until the parking light circuit comes on, or until you hit the Start button/turn the headlamps on (etc).
Old 03-21-05, 08:09 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that this is not your point but I found that I like the way my doors unlock (when manually touching the door handle) as my car came from the factory. I have yet to use the buttons on the FOB.

GRIP THE DRIVER'S DOOR: Only the driver's door is unlocked. This I think addresses the issue of the "wife alone in a dark parking lot" scenario where I only want the driver's door unlocked.

GRIP ANY OTHER DOOR: All doors are unlocked. I use this if someone is riding with me. I will grip but not open the driver's side REAR door to unlock ALL doors then enter the driver's door.

I thought about changing C-Best but not sure if there is a better way to give me the convenience and security I get from the stock out of the box setting.
Old 03-21-05, 10:21 PM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by highmiles
I know that this is not your point but I found that I like the way my doors unlock (when manually touching the door handle) as my car came from the factory. I have yet to use the buttons on the FOB.

GRIP THE DRIVER'S DOOR: Only the driver's door is unlocked. This I think addresses the issue of the "wife alone in a dark parking lot" scenario where I only want the driver's door unlocked.

GRIP ANY OTHER DOOR: All doors are unlocked. I use this if someone is riding with me. I will grip but not open the driver's side REAR door to unlock ALL doors then enter the driver's door.

I thought about changing C-Best but not sure if there is a better way to give me the convenience and security I get from the stock out of the box setting.
Highmiles - I like the method you have chosen. Definately a safe one. I'll mention another that I posted a while back. If you set the driver's door to open all doors when touched you can get security in the following way. If in an uncertain situation push the unlock button on the keyfob once and that will unlock the driver's door and then when the driver's door is touched the remaining doors stay locked. This works well for me because I always have my keys in my pocket and access is easy. There is also a "panic" button on the fob that is good to have handy if security is of concern. If your wife doesn't typically have her keys handy while approaching the car, then your method is much better.

Have you tried to reconfigure the way the Smart Access works via the key fob? It is quite easy to change between the 4 settings (although the manual is a bit confusing)

Looknow12 - I know that this doesn't address the lighting issue you raised but hopefully this gives you some other options along with what Highmiles suggests.
Old 03-22-05, 04:48 AM
highmiles
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandman
Have you tried to reconfigure the way the Smart Access works via the key fob? It is quite easy to change between the 4 settings (although the manual is a bit confusing)
No I have not ventured off into programming the SmartAccess but it sounds like something I ought to try.

I must admit that I never take my keys out of my pocket or even touch the fob. As a matter of fact I have found myself getting into my 98GS or my wife's van waiting for something to happen before I realize that I have to get the keys out of my pocket (surely I'm not the only one). Its amazing how the START button changes the way we think about starting a car.
Old 03-22-05, 05:08 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by highmiles

Thanks, I'll need to try this. I changed my settings so perhaps I need to reconfigure for the default before this will work.