GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

XM Installed Photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 10:41 AM
highmiles
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lookknow12

Yes I have IPA on my GS430 and it kept me from hitting a high curb yesterday. I have a similar system on my wife's 04 Toyota Sienna but the Lexus system has more graphics with the graduated yellow THEN RED bars indicating proximity to the object.

I have not tried to parallel park yet....
Old 03-08-05, 10:59 AM
highmiles
Pole Position

Genearch -

1) The TEXT is limited and nearly abreviates every phrase. Seems like there is all kinds of space in the Nav screen but we only get a small listing. This may be an XM issue but the listing on the Lexus ML system is less characters than the 3rd party Sony system I had in my 98GS.

2) I have not seen any Text on my CDs but I'm an old Classical music guy and my CDs are most likely too old to have any text. Guess I out to try my teenage daughters CDs if I could only stand to listen to them.

3) There is a Seperate AM/SAT button that has 4 pages: AM, SAT1, SAT2 and SAT3 all with 1-6 settings. There is a seperate FM button but I have not set any of those buttons yet and assume there is a FM1 and FM2 as was the case in my 98GS.

The only thing that is odd is that if you are listening to SAT1 Button 2 and select SAT2 you will automatically be changed to the Button 2 channel on SAT2 instead of being given a chance to preview your selection.

Also I noticed that the TYPE arrows which I would think would allow you to only select the type of station to search for automatically starts a search and changes channels which is not what I would have thought.

FYI - I took an 11 hour road trip yesterday and my XM reception using my inside the back window antenna was flawless. I will be creating a new Thread with my 'review' of my first GS430 road trip.
Old 03-08-05, 02:53 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by highmiles
Genearch -

1) The TEXT is limited and nearly abreviates every phrase. Seems like there is all kinds of space in the Nav screen but we only get a small listing. This may be an XM issue but the listing on the Lexus ML system is less characters than the 3rd party Sony system I had in my 98GS.

2) I have not seen any Text on my CDs but I'm an old Classical music guy and my CDs are most likely too old to have any text. Guess I out to try my teenage daughters CDs if I could only stand to listen to them.

3) There is a Seperate AM/SAT button that has 4 pages: AM, SAT1, SAT2 and SAT3 all with 1-6 settings. There is a seperate FM button but I have not set any of those buttons yet and assume there is a FM1 and FM2 as was the case in my 98GS.

The only thing that is odd is that if you are listening to SAT1 Button 2 and select SAT2 you will automatically be changed to the Button 2 channel on SAT2 instead of being given a chance to preview your selection.

Also I noticed that the TYPE arrows which I would think would allow you to only select the type of station to search for automatically starts a search and changes channels which is not what I would have thought.

FYI - I took an 11 hour road trip yesterday and my XM reception using my inside the back window antenna was flawless. I will be creating a new Thread with my 'review' of my first GS430 road trip.
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I'm disappointed in the lack of what I'd consider "convenience" features in the new GS that are now available in some of the other, less prestigious brands. Even my "semi-luxury RL" displays most of the title/artist/channel name in the nav display when using XM, and when going back and forth between XM1 and XM2 it automatically returns to the station I was previously listening to. My FX is more limited in the number of characters in the XM display, but I'd expect that in a $40K automobile. I also can't understand why voice recognition is more limited in the GS than in the M and RL. These are convenience things I would have never even cared about a year ago, but now that I've gotten used to them I expect them in a $50K car. Technology is moving that fast.

I consider Lexus one of the market leaders and for that reason, and for the prices they're charging, I would have expected a little more in this area. Little features like this are part of the "luxury" equation. I know, I know... I don't have to buy one, but Lexus is always in my consideration set and I don't want to see them turn into M-B or BMW who always seem to be the last adopters in modern conveniences because the "brand sells itself".
Old 03-10-05, 10:10 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by highmiles
My dealer installed my XM on the deck inside my rear window. I have had XM since it came out in my 98GS and the reception with this antenna is every bit as good as it was with my external mount on my 98.

I was pleasently surprised to find that there are 3 SAT buttons which allow 18 XM channels to be programmed into the system. The sound on the ML Stereo with XM is INCREDIBLE. When you get it installed try out XM27 Cinemagic for some amazing Surrond Sound effects.

XM is having some promotion (I am guessing with Lexus) that gives you 3 months of XM free. When I picked my car yesterday XM was already activated and ready to go. I haven't tried out all the Seek and Type settings but you do get the same Text that I get on my old Sony unit on my 98.

XM prices are going up in April so if you take advantage of the 3 month promotion you might want to convert to your own account before then if you want to lock in today's price long term.

I am taking 12 hour trip tomorrow so I can't wait to fully test the XM reception and features. I will post any issues I run into both with XM and my first long distance trip.

GS430
Flint
Ash
Loaded
18" 5 Spoke Graphite
Thanks for sharing, many will be very interested in this. STUCK!
Old 03-10-05, 12:19 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I'm disappointed in the lack of what I'd consider "convenience" features in the new GS that are now available in some of the other, less prestigious brands. Even my "semi-luxury RL" displays most of the title/artist/channel name in the nav display when using XM, and when going back and forth between XM1 and XM2 it automatically returns to the station I was previously listening to. My FX is more limited in the number of characters in the XM display, but I'd expect that in a $40K automobile. I also can't understand why voice recognition is more limited in the GS than in the M and RL. These are convenience things I would have never even cared about a year ago, but now that I've gotten used to them I expect them in a $50K car. Technology is moving that fast.

I consider Lexus one of the market leaders and for that reason, and for the prices they're charging, I would have expected a little more in this area. Little features like this are part of the "luxury" equation. I know, I know... I don't have to buy one, but Lexus is always in my consideration set and I don't want to see them turn into M-B or BMW who always seem to be the last adopters in modern conveniences because the "brand sells itself".
The GEN4 Nav and info screen system from Lexus (including the Bluetooth) is quite new. I would also like Lexus to expand software development in some areas, but I think because things are so new, you'll have to expect this.
Old 03-10-05, 04:29 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys needs to realize that the character limitations are not Lexus or the Audio system itself. XM only streams 16 characters from there satellites. They do have a feature where on certain channels they will display more characters but it is XM's network that has the limitation. That is why Im so surprised to see everyone on this board so PRO XM. SIRIUS streams 32 characters on all channels.

I actually have both services, but Im about to cancel XM. When I trade in my 00 GS4 at the end of the year for the 06430 I will ask for SIRIUS, becaue Lexus is now your choice, XM or SIRIUS.

XM may be in the lead as far as subscribers go but SIRIUS is hot on there tails. SIRIUS was commerical free first...then XM followed suit. SIRIUS was always 12.95 for all services, and now XM is doing the same. That should tell you that SIRIUS is really digging into there subscribers.

When Ford does a factory install program that emulates GM, SIRIUS will surpass XM in 2 years as the #1 satellite provider.

However with that being said, everyone is entitled to there preference. Going back to the character limition, it is XM's fault that is happening not Lexus.
Old 03-10-05, 05:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by melymel96
You guys needs to realize that the character limitations are not Lexus or the Audio system itself. XM only streams 16 characters from there satellites. They do have a feature where on certain channels they will display more characters but it is XM's network that has the limitation. That is why Im so surprised to see everyone on this board so PRO XM. SIRIUS streams 32 characters on all channels.

I actually have both services, but Im about to cancel XM. When I trade in my 00 GS4 at the end of the year for the 06430 I will ask for SIRIUS, becaue Lexus is now your choice, XM or SIRIUS.

XM may be in the lead as far as subscribers go but SIRIUS is hot on there tails. SIRIUS was commerical free first...then XM followed suit. SIRIUS was always 12.95 for all services, and now XM is doing the same. That should tell you that SIRIUS is really digging into there subscribers.

When Ford does a factory install program that emulates GM, SIRIUS will surpass XM in 2 years as the #1 satellite provider.

However with that being said, everyone is entitled to there preference. Going back to the character limition, it is XM's fault that is happening not Lexus.
Thanks for hitting us with the facts. So its XM that limits the characters, not a Lexus issue. Thanks.
Old 03-10-05, 07:29 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

Thank for the info. I counted characters and I get two 10 characters lines in my 06. The only concern to me is that my Sony Hi-Fi unit I had in my 98GS gave me the full 16 characters. It really no big deal to me and I think it is great that you point out the XM limitation. I think most of us are smart enough to figure out the artist and title with 10 characters instead of 16.

I can name that tune in...... 10 characters. Now I'm really dating myself.
Old 03-10-05, 09:31 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Yes I guess you can say that Im a Satellite Radio guru. Ive been an invenstor in both XM and SIRIUS since 2003. So its in my best interest that both companies do well and at the same time I do my homework. I own both companies and subscribe to both companies, but as I mentioned Im getting rid of XM.

A lot of people dont know that SIRIUS is 18 months behind XM. XM launched its service in November 2001. SIRIUS had problems with the chipsets that Lucent was creating which put them way behind. As time slowly progressed SIRIUS started to acquire CONTENT. When it comes to music they both pretty much offer the same set up, although since Im into Hip Hop and Rap, SIRIUS has this beat hands down with there Eminem channel Shade 45, and no they dont just play Eminem. Now that they are the same price SIRIUS offers the NFL, NBA, NHL (whenever they decide to play again), NCAA Div I Basketball Tourney, some exclusive partnerships with some College programs like Notre Dame, they took Nascar away from XM starting in 2007, and if you love him or hate him, they got Howard Stern. They also have Maxim radio. So even if your not interested in all that, they are the same price, so why not get it.

XM also only has 2 Satellites that sit on the equator. SIRIUS has 3 satellites that roam in a figure 8 pattern all the way up past Canada and down towards South America.

Right now XM has SIRIUS beat in the Navigation arena, although Lexus doesnt even offer it yet, but its already in the Acura TL I believe. The XM NavTeq gives live traffic updates on your navigation system, which absolutely has to be amazing. SIRIUS has a deal with NavTeq also but has not yet launched the service. Also with SIRIUS satellites they are able to stream Video which they demonstrated at CES the last two years. They are looking to launch that service sometime next year.

XM also has MLB.

To each his own. Just stating the facts. The ultimate decision lies with you guys. If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask. You can also check out both company websites for more info.

www.sirius.com
www.xmradio.com

or message boards like ClubLexus

www.siriusbackstage.com
www.xmfan.com

Thanks!
Old 03-11-05, 02:59 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I guess you can say that Im a Satellite Radio guru. Ive been an invenstor in both XM and SIRIUS since 2003. So its in my best interest that both companies do well and at the same time I do my homework. I own both companies and subscribe to both companies, but as I mentioned Im getting rid of XM.

A lot of people dont know that SIRIUS is 18 months behind XM. XM launched its service in November 2001. SIRIUS had problems with the chipsets that Lucent was creating which put them way behind. As time slowly progressed SIRIUS started to acquire CONTENT. When it comes to music they both pretty much offer the same set up, although since Im into Hip Hop and Rap, SIRIUS has this beat hands down with there Eminem channel Shade 45, and no they dont just play Eminem. Now that they are the same price SIRIUS offers the NFL, NBA, NHL (whenever they decide to play again), NCAA Div I Basketball Tourney, some exclusive partnerships with some College programs like Notre Dame, they took Nascar away from XM starting in 2007, and if you love him or hate him, they got Howard Stern. They also have Maxim radio. So even if your not interested in all that, they are the same price, so why not get it.

XM also only has 2 Satellites that sit on the equator. SIRIUS has 3 satellites that roam in a figure 8 pattern all the way up past Canada and down towards South America.

Right now XM has SIRIUS beat in the Navigation arena, although Lexus doesnt even offer it yet, but its already in the Acura TL I believe. The XM NavTeq gives live traffic updates on your navigation system, which absolutely has to be amazing. SIRIUS has a deal with NavTeq also but has not yet launched the service. Also with SIRIUS satellites they are able to stream Video which they demonstrated at CES the last two years. They are looking to launch that service sometime next year.

XM also has MLB.

To each his own. Just stating the facts. The ultimate decision lies with you guys. If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask. You can also check out both company websites for more info.

www.sirius.com
www.xmradio.com

or message boards like ClubLexus

www.siriusbackstage.com
www.xmfan.com

Thanks!
Thanks for the information. Quite a review!
Old 03-11-05, 12:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for hitting us with the facts. So its XM that limits the characters, not a Lexus issue. Thanks.
Unfortunately, those are not the facts. This is not an XM issue. The display in my RL shows lots more characters than the display in my FX. This is due to a limitation in the Lexus display that only allows it to show 10 characters rather than 16 shown in some other systems. A Delphi Sky-Fi shows 16 characters. The RL system shows 16 characters. The GS system shows 10. Please see attached for the facts...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=radio
Old 03-11-05, 02:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2
Unfortunately, those are not the facts. This is not an XM issue. The display in my RL shows lots more characters than the display in my FX. This is due to a limitation in the Lexus display that only allows it to show 10 characters rather than 16 shown in some other systems. A Delphi Sky-Fi shows 16 characters. The RL system shows 16 characters. The GS system shows 10. Please see attached for the facts...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=radio
Your right, me=owned
Old 03-11-05, 03:50 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

I didnt see the 10 character I thought it said 16. Either way XM only streams 16 characters. SIRIUS streams 32. If the system in the new GS is only showing 10 characters then this is something they need to address, because once people who like to subscribe to SIRIUS only see 10 characters they will not be very happy. 32 characters compared to 10 is a drastic change.

Thanks for clarifying though!
Old 03-12-05, 07:42 PM
Brian
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Highmile

After much fear from the dealer, I convinced them to install the XM module in my new 06 AWD GS300 (Flint/Black) on the rear deck as you showed. It's a winner. I love it!!! Thanks again for the pix.
Old 03-12-05, 07:48 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian
After much fear from the dealer, I convinced them to install the XM module in my new 06 AWD GS300 (Flint/Black) on the rear deck as you showed. It's a winner. I love it!!! Thanks again for the pix.
The reception is great and if you take a close look it is less than six inches from where they would put in on the trunk. Besides as flat as the rear window is there is nothing in the way to interfere with reception.

Quick Reply: XM Installed Photos