GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 Lexus GS300 or 2006 BMW 530i?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 03:17 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Lexus GS300 or 2006 BMW 530i?

I am in the market for either one of these vehicles by the middle of this year, so trying to make a decision.

BMW's website has been recently updated and listing the 2006 BMW 530i with the new 6 Cylinder Engine specs (255HP).

LINK: http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/5/530iSedan

I have to say that I like the new gen GS. It looks sleeker and sportier. The GS430 looks incredible, however the problem I have is that the GS300 looks just OK to me (rims are so so, power is adequate, cornering and handling are OK).

Sure we can argue about the styling, price & reliability between these 2 vehicles (BMW being less reliable & higher in price as compared to Lexus), however the BMW 5 series has all the options that you want in a sports sedan. Most importantly the sports package with 18" Rims, wide tires & a true Sports Suspension. Sure it's an expensive option, but the even the stock 5 series has better cornering and handling than a new GS300.

You can then tell me that aftermarket upgrades can improve a GS300's handling. I can tell you that why spend all that extra money for a car that you THINK can have the potential to be great, but doesn't have it yet when you spend $45K to $50K on it. Then you realize the money you spend for upgrades can get you into the GS430 price range and why not get a GS430 with its beautiful V8?

Also the new BMW engine although has slightly more HP than the GS300 will also feel like a rocket (the current 225HP BMW 6 is quick). The GS300 is still good, but is it fun to drive and inspiring like the BMW?

I know this is a Lexus forum and I too am a Lexus owner (as well as a BMW owner), but the GS is a Sports Sedan, so it should be fun to drive, it should be quick, agile and have incredible handling. Some may say that it already has all of that. I say that it just does everything well, which is good, but doesn't inspire or make you giddy with excitement.

The GS430, like the BMW 545i will make you smile and has monster power, but if you are not in the market for those V8 versions, then a 530i with Sports Package is more appealing than a new GS300 IMHO.

Your comments would be much appreciated.

Last edited by lexguynj; 03-02-05 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 03:36 PM
soon2benags4
Rookie

My sister just bought a 530i and I the GS300. They both handle real well. I think the features on the GS300 are more luxurious than the 530i and the BMW is more sporty than the GS300.

But I am bias because, of course, I think my car is much better! When people see her car they go oh nice car. Our friends who see my car are really left speechless. It really is something showing them how the keyless entry works!

Good luck with your choice!
Old 03-02-05, 03:42 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soon2benags4
My sister just bought a 530i and I the GS300. They both handle real well. I think the features on the GS300 are more luxurious than the 530i and the BMW is more sporty than the GS300.

But I am bias because, of course, I think my car is much better! When people see her car they go oh nice car. Our friends who see my car are really left speechless. It really is something showing them how the keyless entry works!

Good luck with your choice!
Thanks for your good point of view and luxury vs. Sportiness is also an issue. The Lexus definitely seems to have all the latest in technological innovations.

I am leaning towards more sporty, so maybe this is why the 5 series appeals more to me.
Old 03-02-05, 04:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

As usual, always good to test all competitors and then see what matches your interest better.

p.s. I dont see how will BMW feel like an rocket - past BMW had large torque for their HP ratings, so they felt fast. However new 530 has only marginally better torque and a lot more hp than previous 530. What you end up is GS300 having 10lbs of torque more than 530 even with having 10hp less... So tables have turned and I wouldnt expect it to rocket away at GS300, not at all.

You should really test it yourself and see how it works out. If you are after speed as priority, maybe M35 Sport? Or you can probably get GS300 AWD for the same price of 530 RWD?

In any case, having so many goodie options is great... E350 is here as well!
Old 03-02-05, 04:46 PM
LexFather

I thought we had a thread on this?
Old 03-03-05, 09:23 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I thought we had a thread on this?
Hey 1SICKLEX, the other thread was the AWD comparison. At this time, I am still on the fence between these 2 vehicles, so I just can't decide. My lexus salesperson is awesome and my BMW sales person is good, so this also makes it a tough one. I just have to talk this out to figure it out!
Old 03-03-05, 09:41 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as an owner of 325i and gs300, i'd say for a mid size sedan, go for the all-new gs for numerous reasons such as more luxurious features, unique styling(note that the beemer style will get retired fairly soon/ soon for my standard at least), and power/weight/gas mileage ratio. or what you live in nj? nevermind go with the beemer then

when i was in the elite white sub-urb for 4 years.. all i saw was gs, gs, gs. back then i had no clue what a lexus was so i always thought to myself, "what's that car with 2 regular brake lights, and 2 little weird red dot lights..." boy i was just stooopid!
Old 03-03-05, 09:52 AM
saabfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
when i was in the elite white sub-urb for 4 years.. all i saw was gs, gs, gs.
Another excellent reason why the OP should continue considering the 5.
Old 03-03-05, 09:57 AM
soon2benags4
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Thanks for your good point of view and luxury vs. Sportiness is also an issue. The Lexus definitely seems to have all the latest in technological innovations.

I am leaning towards more sporty, so maybe this is why the 5 series appeals more to me.
Now, don't get me wrong. The GS has a very sporty feel. The cockpit is contoured so you feel like a race car driver (at least that is the feeling I get). The handling around corners is outstanding. When I drop my kids off at daycare in my old GS I always had to make a three point turn, now I can make the u-turn with the greatest of ease. The drive is incredible you really must experience both to make an informed decision.
Old 03-03-05, 10:11 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Maybe the other + for the BMW is included free maintenance vs none for the Lexus?
I have no experience with BMW so I can't say anything

Last edited by GS3Tek; 03-03-05 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-03-05, 11:10 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

The only bimmer or benz that I would ever consider buying would be the M series or AMG, period. The rest are not worth the premium.
Old 03-03-05, 11:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by soon2benags4
The drive is incredible you really must experience both to make an informed decision.
That is very true.
Old 03-03-05, 11:37 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
as an owner of 325i and gs300, i'd say for a mid size sedan, go for the all-new gs for numerous reasons such as more luxurious features, unique styling(note that the beemer style will get retired fairly soon/ soon for my standard at least), and power/weight/gas mileage ratio. or what you live in nj? nevermind go with the beemer then

when i was in the elite white sub-urb for 4 years.. all i saw was gs, gs, gs. back then i had no clue what a lexus was so i always thought to myself, "what's that car with 2 regular brake lights, and 2 little weird red dot lights..." boy i was just stooopid!
2000GS300, you have a BMW 3 series also, you know how fun it is to drive and how quick it is. I can only imagine what the new 3.0 Liter BMW Enginer will feel like with the added power. It is tough to walk away from that fun factory in driving the BMW.
Old 03-03-05, 11:39 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ktiger
The only bimmer or benz that I would ever consider buying would be the M series or AMG, period. The rest are not worth the premium.
You have got to love the V8's, so consider the Lexus GS430, BMW 545 (soon to be 550) and the MB E500? The V8's in this class are amazing and worth it.

The M & AMG versions are even more incredible too, but way too expensive.
Old 03-03-05, 12:25 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup it's fast around the corners and yes it's very fun coz of the topless, open-air factor.

since the steering wheel feels heavy i just give up trying to negotiate the straight-line, "pedal to metal," acceleration with the 3.

but around the corner, oh yeh sir, it's fast, fun, and very trust-worthy.

i'm not sure if you want to do that with an 5 serious, but one of my students (who's a dentist) takes the 5serious out for weekend joyride all-da-friggin-time man!

i think the desicion is clear!

Quick Reply: 2006 Lexus GS300 or 2006 BMW 530i?