GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

factory spoiler flex

Old 08-18-03, 12:56 PM
hawk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory spoiler flex

today i picked up a 2000 GS4 w/ 36k miles, certified pre-owned, lease turn in. needless to say, i do love the car, and the seats are perfect for my back (which gives me problems on long trips, which make up the majority of my driving time). neither volvo nor mercedes was as comfortable, and, plus, neither has the reliability record of lexus. oh yeah, and I also did just join clublexus.com this morning before leaving to pick up the car.

i wanted to ask some of the regulars and experts, is there an actual advantage to having that spoiler other than for decorative purposes? If so, at what speeds would the factory spoiler actually have an advantageous effect on handling? Most importantly, as I'm guessing that all of those with spoilers on their GS' know, is there a reason that there is some flex in the spoiler. Is this "just how they are?" When I refer to flex, I mean to refer to the fact that I can easily push down or lift up less than an inch on the spoiler from its middle area.

One last thing, when the time comes, how do I go about replacing any burned out LED's in the brake light in the spoiler?

Thanks,
Steven

PS The car came with the spoiler. However, I'm not complaining about it; personally, on a decorative level, I do like it.

PPS I've read a lot about people who switch their rear lights for the 2001-present rear lights. I like the 98-00 better. Anyone else prefer those, as well?

Last edited by hawk; 08-18-03 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-18-03, 01:05 PM
RIPP7399
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

welcome to CL... not an expert myself, but im sure you'll get plenty of help ... i have been a member for several months and everyone here is extremely helpful.

ps let us know when youy catch MOD disease....
Old 08-18-03, 01:18 PM
hawk
Driver

erm...correction...i just registered so i could post....haven't quite gotten around to thinking about the paying types of membership
Old 08-18-03, 01:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

That's OK Steven. You're welcome here anyway .

I haven't seen any wind tunnel specs on what the spoiler does. I suspect Lexus would claim some downforce but it's really decoration.

TomTNC is the only guy I know who's tried to replace the LEDs in the spoiler, I'll look for him to chip in. It isn't easy.

Personally, I prefer the new style GS lights on dark models and the old style lights on the lighter ones. I like the new style better in the daytime and the old style better lit up at night. How's that for bipolar?
Old 08-18-03, 01:39 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Misled!

Welcome to CL! Congrats!

NO, you don't have to pay money to be a member here on this board! It's free!
Howerver, paid-membership does give a lot of advantage and discount in group-buy Lexus' products. I am NOT a paid-member. Pay membership is a form of supporting this site, but do not require!

NOW, where are the pictures? Post the pictures of your new ride brother!!!! WAITING

Old 08-18-03, 02:36 PM
98_Aristo
Driver School Candidate

Smile Re: factory spoiler flex

Originally posted by hawk500sl
today i picked up a 2000 GS4 w/ 36k miles, certified pre-owned, lease turn in. needless to say, i do love the car, and the seats are perfect for my back (which gives me problems on long trips, which make up the majority of my driving time). neither volvo nor mercedes was as comfortable, and, plus, neither has the reliability record of lexus. oh yeah, and I also did just join clublexus.com this morning before leaving to pick up the car.

i wanted to ask some of the regulars and experts, is there an actual advantage to having that spoiler other than for decorative purposes? If so, at what speeds would the factory spoiler actually have an advantageous effect on handling? Most importantly, as I'm guessing that all of those with spoilers on their GS' know, is there a reason that there is some flex in the spoiler. Is this "just how they are?" When I refer to flex, I mean to refer to the fact that I can easily push down or lift up less than an inch on the spoiler from its middle area.

One last thing, when the time comes, how do I go about replacing any burned out LED's in the brake light in the spoiler?

Thanks,
Steven

Wanna trade lights???
PS The car came with the spoiler. However, I'm not complaining about it; personally, on a decorative level, I do like it.

PPS I've read a lot about people who switch their rear lights for the 2001-present rear lights. I like the 98-00 better. Anyone else prefer those, as well?
Old 08-18-03, 02:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Default Re: Re: factory spoiler flex

Originally posted by 98_Aristo
Wanna trade lights???
I think he has the same lights you do, and he likes them.
Old 08-18-03, 02:51 PM
hawk
Driver

i'll work on pictures as soon as possible. it's white with tan interior. insofar as i can tell, it has HID lights (outer lights look blue in daylight....tonight will be first test)

i LOVE the button shifters on the steering wheel.

98_Aristo....sorry amigo, i like those rear lights just the way they are!

i was giving serious consideration to the L-tune steering ECU, but from what i can gather, the change is minimal, and to many, they can't tell the difference. my first work will be the front side blinkers....i prefer clear lens over yellow, especially with the white paint. at this point, i do NOT want to go for the street racer look, but these lens would be a classy improvement with the white color. any other mods will not be noticeable, such as a K&N air filter (which, to me, seems like just as much as a performance upgrade as an investment in lower costs in the future)

anyone think that i should avoid those clear lens sold on ebay? let me know, thank you.

-Steven
Old 08-18-03, 08:21 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to the club! Nice choice of color by the way!
Old 08-18-03, 11:19 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to your new home on the web!

We are a nutty bunch of folks but usually pretty mature and full of advice after u fill us up with a couple bottles of beer.

Anyway, to make this on topic: the rear wing is most likely decorative (as on most other cars on the street). I suspect your car will never be fast enough for that wing to make any difference - Unlike in F1 racing where the downforce of the car provided by the wing is enough for the car to run upside down at speeds above 120mph!!!

By the way, the yellow fogs are high-priced items here in CL and I am sure you could easily sell them. Quite a lot of willing parties here who would trade their white fogs with you (+ some $$ too!)

Do the K&N filter. Hassle free, 1,000,000 miles warranty, completely reusable and is said to give you some hp gain. Every little one helps. I also was told that the sound at WOT is totally amazing.

Anyway, welcome!
Old 08-19-03, 07:28 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default price

hawk500sl, would you share with us the price you paid for this car?

I recently bought my car (2000 GS4 Platnum edition 28.5K no Nav no spoiler) in June for $28,500.00 at non-Lexus dealer => not certified. I am asking this question because I suspect the hood of my car was repainted. It chips so easily. I've only owned the car for 2 months, and 7 chips was added onto the hood already At this rate the paint on the hood might need a paint job in 2 years. Last week when I washed my car and found a bird dung on the hood that eated through the paint. The bird dung probably was on the car for about 2 days. I am thinking of repaint the hood next year.

I want to know I still got a good deal or I was hoaxed by the dealer. I did have another choice at the time for the same type + year + mileage + and model but certified + spoiler for $33,000.00. If I have to do it all over again, I would get the higher price Lexus certified car rather than a non-certified one.

Thanks, hawk500sl.

Hung
Old 08-19-03, 07:56 AM
LexFather

Okay, honestly, the rear spoiler doesn't help at the speeds we drive. It doesn't even lower the CD (drag). For instance on the 1st gen Lexus SC, the spoiler does lower the drag from a .32 to a.31.

You would have to be at speeds in excess of 150mph+ for the spoiler to benefit anything. Then it would be downforce, i.e. the strategy of pushing your car down with the air from spoilers, ducts etc so the car does not flip at high speeds.

For instance the Saleen S7 is said to have enough downforce to be driven upside down at speeds over 160mph.

The reason u can flex the spoiler is b/c is is polyueruthane or plastic, not steel.

If u notice, technology in the wind tunnel is so great now, we have discovered that we don't need huge wings to create downforce. Huge wings create drag at high speeds and lower top speed.

That is why all the new Ferraris, Lambos, the Mclaren, Bugatti Verynon have no spoilers. Car companies DO USE a flat underbody to reduce lift and drag. The GS has a flat underbody but the G35/LS 430 sedans really takes it to another level. A flat underbody creates less lift, noise and a lower drag for higher fuel economy.

Oh and welcome to Clublexus, the priemer Car enthusiest community
Old 08-19-03, 10:27 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

"PPS I've read a lot about people who switch their rear lights for the 2001-present rear lights. I like the 98-00 better. Anyone else prefer those, as well?"

I will swap you with my 00 tail lights
Old 08-19-03, 11:34 AM
hawk
Driver

sung

32.5 plus all the taxes and stuff. there is one small paint chip on the hood. this car honestly just seems brand new....there's no wear and tear at all. i never really looked at the options lists for the car, i was always preoccupied just checking the mechanical and functional condition of the car. but i did notice last night that it has auto leveling HID lights

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that a 3 year aftermarket (nonlexus) warranty with somthing like a $75 deductible per visit would have cost you around 2 grand...in fact, probably more. that's just a guess on my part...i'm not an expert here. and then an aftermarket warranty would not give you all the roadside assistance, travel interruption repayment, etc etc perks that the lex CPO warranty offers. so, speaking purely from a market standpoint, my GUESS (i'm not an expert here!) is that $28,5 with cosmetic blemishes and no extra warranty....well, seems like a decent price. also, mine is not platinum edition

also, the 2000 GS400's in houston (where i purchased the car b/c i'm here for the summer) with 20-40k miles have listing prices of nearly $37k on up, depending on options, condition, etc. after negotiations, and the fact that a friend of mine who has purchased three cars from a guy at northside lexus set me up to talk with him, that was the price. my insurance company, USAA, said to pay 31,575. however, they also told me they do NOT factor in on the price the lexus CPO warranty. considering that there is no wear and tear and the warranty, the extra one thousand on the price seemed fair enough.

Last edited by hawk; 08-19-03 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-19-03, 11:35 AM
hawk
Driver

lettuce....i have a 2000 and prefer those....sorry!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: factory spoiler flex