GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help me make sense of these wires.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 09:56 PM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Help me make sense of these wires.

So, I've got a '99 Aristo..I've been trying to hook up a double din for some time now, but just can't make sense of the wire colors. My stock amp is located in the trunk, so I have to run my speaker wires from the trunk up to the cabin, the speaker wires aren't the problem (at least I don't think) since the dash kit I bought came with a wiring harness, so I'll just unplug the connections from the stock amp, connect it to the to the wiring harness, then connect the wiring harness to speaker wires which will run up to the cabin which will ultimately connect to my head unit.

What I'm unsure of is, is the constant power, ignition, and ground wires in the dash that would connect to the head unit. I'm assuming I'd have to cut the stock harness which houses these wires, but I don't know which one to cut. Toyota/Lexus wire color guide says that Blue/Yellow is the constant power, Gray is the ACC, and Black is the ground, I think I've found the 2 power wires which are spliced into a weird connector which connect to something i'm not sure what.

I guess I just need confirmation I'm cutting the right wires, i'm assuming for ground I can just connect to a screw or something in the dash.

Here are some pictures.

The first picture is I'm guessing the power wires, which is connected to the something in the second picture.
Old 05-11-19, 08:59 AM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...a-98-00-a.html
Old 05-11-19, 09:13 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Didn't really help, but thanks!

I've figured it out myself. I was looking at the wrong wires, the ones in pic 1 and 2 were for the hazards and ac vents.

The gray wires in the 3rd pic is the ACC and the gray with red stripe is the constant. If anyone else was wondering.

Managed to get everything working except the front speakers. I tried tapping into the amp turn on wire from the amp, and connecting to the blue wire on the harness labelled Amp turn on in hopes it would turn on the front speakers, but it was a no-go.

Last edited by ph0bolus; 05-11-19 at 10:59 AM.