GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New '02 GS 430; New to Lexus, New to the Forum. Have Concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 05:47 PM
CadetBlue
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '02 GS 430; New to Lexus, New to the Forum. Have Concerns.

Recently went through an ordeal with replacing my previous vehicle(collision and insurance shenanigans). I landed on a 2002 GS430, and I managed to get it for 3200. For me, this is a lot to spend, but I considered it a good option in comparison to others I had. Initially, I was thinking I might have made the wrong decision, but having had it a week or so, I've come to like it, and it is in good condition. I'm happy with it.

Now, I tried to do some research before I made the purchase, and having searched the forum a bit, I think a good number of my questions have been covered already, but I still have a few concerns:
  • According to the maintenance history that I was able to get through LexusDrivers, the timing belt had been replaced once around 61K miles. The car currently has 175,000 miles, and I'm not positive that it has been replaced again. Are there signs of a failing timing belt that I can look out for? It'll take a bit of time before I can afford the repair. This is my biggest concern.
  • Just which key is the "master" key? I have only one key fob, and I would like to get a couple spares to cut and program, but that apparently requires the "master" key?
  • It leaks when it rains, right through the panel with the sunroof/interior lights controls are(thankfully the roof controls still work). It's a not a steady leak, but it'll drip quite a bit. A couple other posts have mentioned to try cleaning out the drain holes. Would a regular set of pipe cleaners do? I do not have an air compressor.
  • I'm considering replacing the head unit(it's not powering on, so replacing it is an option). Are there caveats I should look out for? I'm not sure how to be confident that another head unit will fit. In checking fuses, can I find a diagram of the fuse box in the owner's manual?
  • Is it worth investing in a repair manual? I'm not mechanically-inclined, but I would like to learn how to fix some things on the vehicle, or at least perform some maintenance. It seems to be the case that such manuals are expensive, though(I did manage to pick up the owners manual for ~20 bucks; not sure if I overpaid).
  • Is it normal for the amber taillight dash light to be on despite having working taillights? My brake lights are working, even the one above the trunk. Not sure if I'm missing something.
  • I experience significant vibrations when I hit 75+ MPH. It doesn't shake violently, but the steering wheel does vibrate more than what I'd think is normal, and I can reproduce it pretty consistently. Steering isn't affected, and I can maintain control of the vehicle just fine. Might this be a motor mount in need of replacing?
If I'm asking too many common questions, my bad. I haven't checked the whole forum-- just did some skimming through FAQs and searches. Thanks in advance to whoever takes the time to read this.
Old 04-24-19, 06:49 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

* No, no known way of knowing of an impending failure. They can go any time, 60k is best-practice, CA is 100k by statute? We seen them go <60k, or last 200k. Throwing dice, if you don't replace on a schedule.
* Plug your key in. If the light goes out immediately, it's a master. If it takes a few seconds, it's a valet.
* don't know
* don't know
* Absolutely, wouldn't work on our car, without one. You can also get 3-day subs to Toyota's service-manual web-system, and download the entire manual, in pdf, page-by-page.
* there's a light out. look again. It's usually the trunk brakes that are the issue, and I hear there are (3) bulbs in the 3rd-light, if you don't have a trunk-spoiler. (we have a trunk-spoiler).
* rotate your tires... probably a badly-balanced front-wheel, rotate and see if it goes away, or at least migrates to the rear.

Last edited by sbagdon; 04-24-19 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 12:40 PM
CadetBlue
10th Gear

I see. Well, the timing belt is the most important issue that I need to address, so I'll see about getting that done as soon as possible. Thanks for the response. I'll take another look at the tail lights and tires. Here's hoping for another 100,000 miles. I'll try to get that digital repair manual while I shop around for an actual book.
Old 04-25-19, 06:18 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Having owned my GS400 for going on 20 years now, I don't think you have much to worry about. I changed my TB/WP for the first time at 120,000 miles and the second at 220,000 miles. Of course, going by the book is 9yrs/90k but in most cases they can last a while. Having chased down the vibration issue many times over the years I can tell you it can be related to ball joints, rotors and tire balancing. Ball joints are a weak point on the 2GS so be sure they are in good working order. Other than that take care of this car and it will last you many years no doubt.
Old 04-26-19, 12:27 AM
CadetBlue
10th Gear

Sounds great. I do still want to replace ASAP, though. The car has had the front lower ball joints replaced once before, but that's good to know. I'll look into that. I'll probably get my tires rotated next month, too, just in case. Thanks. I'm hoping to have this car last a good while.
Old 04-26-19, 06:00 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by CadetBlue
I see. Well, the timing belt is the most important issue that I need to address, so I'll see about getting that done as soon as possible. Thanks for the response. I'll take another look at the tail lights and tires. Here's hoping for another 100,000 miles. I'll try to get that digital repair manual while I shop around for an actual book.
The issues with the paper manuals are that they are not inexpensive... there's a '98 GS set (Volume I and II) on eBay, for around $200. Sad, remember when we got some MR2 manuals, back in the '90s, for $30. Yes, we remember when they were BGBs, and not FSMs.

The nice thing about TIS is that you can get the short-term sub (3 days?), then just start downloading anything in their system. Last time we did it, we grabbed what we could for the '98 GS... yet we also have four Toyota/Lexus cars in our driveway, so we also grabbed a bunch of other stuff, while in there.

There is something tactile about reading through a book, and quickly flipping from one section to the other, yet having a set in PDF has it values (as does having both). When we have a major preventative or repair job, we'll print out the relevant sections in 8.5"x11", then storage-tape them up in to "posters", so we can hang them from the fence, then check off steps as we go. Plus, we don't get our expensive factory manuals oily, from flipping pages. The timing belt was a 4x4 poster, and the water pump and coolant systems were 4x2. Just amazing to have a poster to stand in front of, that has the complete blow-up of the parts, showing bolt/nut location, orientation, etc, without having to get everything oily.

Last edited by sbagdon; 04-26-19 at 06:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (04-26-19)
Old 04-26-19, 06:09 AM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Having hard copies is nice, but when looking things up in the PDF, Ctrl-F is a huge time saver.
Old 04-26-19, 06:32 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Welcome to the GS and the forum. To answer the question about the amber light out indicator. If all lights are definitely working, then a wrong bulb(s) have been installed. The third brake light is the usual culprit. Most shops carry cheap 906 bulbs for these as most cars take them for these kind of sockets. But Lexus wants 926. The light monitoring device is always checking for the proper amperage through the circuits. A 906 would be too low and register as a burnt out bulb.
Old 04-26-19, 09:39 AM
coacheddie
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Timing belt - replace it and establish a schedule from that point. I would do that first, before anything else but I'm a little paranoid having been in a car when the belt broke. Not fun. Or cheap.
Head unit - Any double DIN will fit with mount kit. Factory amps won't work, so plan accordingly.
Tail lights - Look at the third light, I had one bulb out (five on the strip) and replacing it turned mine off.
Tech Manual - well yeah. I have digital and paper and use the digital more because its more convenient for me.

Good luck with your car, I've found this forum to be very helpful.
Old 04-26-19, 11:30 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by coacheddie
Timing belt - replace it and establish a schedule from that point. I would do that first, before anything else but I'm a little paranoid having been in a car when the belt broke. Not fun. Or cheap.
Head unit - Any double DIN will fit with mount kit. Factory amps won't work, so plan accordingly.
Tail lights - Look at the third light, I had one bulb out (five on the strip) and replacing it turned mine off.
Tech Manual - well yeah. I have digital and paper and use the digital more because its more convenient for me.

Good luck with your car, I've found this forum to be very helpful.
I've been lucky... the three times I've had it happen to me, they were all Camry S-series engines (2 in moving traffic, 1 leaving a parking lot)... and all after purchasing them, and being told that the belt was "recently changed". With the S-series being non-interference, it was just a matter of coasting to a stop, and finding a safe place to end up. Never had it happen on an A-series, yet never trusted the sellers, either. Making it a point to never have this happen on a Z-series...
Old 04-28-19, 08:16 PM
West51210
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My buddy went 190k on his LS430 before changing the tb/wp service.

I have seen several folks opt for 150k ish intervals without issue.
Old 04-29-19, 05:40 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by West51210
My buddy went 190k on his LS430 before changing the tb/wp service.

I have seen several folks opt for 150k ish intervals without issue.
150k just seems... risky. That's almost 3x the initial Toyota schedule of 60k. Then, throw in the water pump, pulleys, and accessory belt(s), and that seems to be... risky.
Old 04-30-19, 04:10 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CadetBlue
Recently went through an ordeal with replacing my previous vehicle(collision and insurance shenanigans). I landed on a 2002 GS430, and I managed to get it for 3200. For me, this is a lot to spend, but I considered it a good option in comparison to others I had. Initially, I was thinking I might have made the wrong decision, but having had it a week or so, I've come to like it, and it is in good condition. I'm happy with it.

Now, I tried to do some research before I made the purchase, and having searched the forum a bit, I think a good number of my questions have been covered already, but I still have a few concerns:
  • According to the maintenance history that I was able to get through LexusDrivers, the timing belt had been replaced once around 61K miles. The car currently has 175,000 miles, and I'm not positive that it has been replaced again. Are there signs of a failing timing belt that I can look out for? It'll take a bit of time before I can afford the repair. This is my biggest concern. - This could be quite expensive on a restricted budget, but without any proof you run the risk of a failure and ruining your motor. I would make this a priority.
  • Just which key is the "master" key? I have only one key fob, and I would like to get a couple spares to cut and program, but that apparently requires the "master" key? - This has been noted above, also there are youtube videos that show how to test this in great detail. I recently had this same issues and I did not have a master key. A local reputably locksmith should get you squared away if needed. If you have issues with your lock actuators you might need some help to get the buttons on the key working.
  • It leaks when it rains, right through the panel with the sunroof/interior lights controls are(thankfully the roof controls still work). It's a not a steady leak, but it'll drip quite a bit. A couple other posts have mentioned to try cleaning out the drain holes. Would a regular set of pipe cleaners do? I do not have an air compressor. - I haven't had this issue sorry...
  • I'm considering replacing the head unit(it's not powering on, so replacing it is an option). Are there caveats I should look out for? I'm not sure how to be confident that another head unit will fit. In checking fuses, can I find a diagram of the fuse box in the owner's manual? A fuse is highly unlikely for a stock stereo system. I bought an 01 several months ago and the radio was very glitchy. I would be more than happy to guide you through the process of adding an aftermarket stereo as I have done it on three 2gen GS cars I have had. Most recently several weeks ago. There is also a wealth of info on this subject in the forums.
  • Is it worth investing in a repair manual? I'm not mechanically-inclined, but I would like to learn how to fix some things on the vehicle, or at least perform some maintenance. It seems to be the case that such manuals are expensive, though(I did manage to pick up the owners manual for ~20 bucks; not sure if I overpaid).- Only if your serious about turning some wrenches on your car. You will find most common issues are very well documented along with pictures in this forum. You might need to invest in some tools first if that is your goal.
  • Is it normal for the amber taillight dash light to be on despite having working taillights? My brake lights are working, even the one above the trunk. Not sure if I'm missing something. I agree with the other posts that you likely have missed a light. Its not difficult to access the bulbs in the rear, with help of someone in the car pop them out one by one and verify. I'm sure you will find the issue.
  • I experience significant vibrations when I hit 75+ MPH. It doesn't shake violently, but the steering wheel does vibrate more than what I'd think is normal, and I can reproduce it pretty consistently. Steering isn't affected, and I can maintain control of the vehicle just fine. Might this be a motor mount in need of replacing? - Take it to your local tire shop and have them check the balance, as part of that process they should also be able to tell you if your wheels are bent. I took mine in shortly after I bought it to have two tires replaced only to find several wheels are bent, but its possible its just a balance issue.
If I'm asking too many common questions, my bad. I haven't checked the whole forum-- just did some skimming through FAQs and searches. Thanks in advance to whoever takes the time to read this.
Responses are underlined after your questions.
Old 05-01-19, 04:52 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by jefthim
Responses are underlined after your questions.
  • This is my biggest concern. - This could be quite expensive on a restricted budget, but without any proof you run the risk of a failure and ruining your motor. I would make this a priority. Yes, this is a hard bullet to bite. an oem/oem-quality parts kit alone will be around $400, and without the SST for the crank pulley, a bit of a pain. $1200-$1500, if you take it to a decent shop? And it has to be done, as the 1UZ with VVTi is an interference engine.
  • If you have issues with your lock actuators you might need some help to get the buttons on the key working. Lock actuators have been dealt with in the programming thread... the BCM is looking at the actuator sensors, not the lock/unlock switch, so moving the lock button manually works just as well as moving them with the switch.

Last edited by sbagdon; 05-01-19 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 05:16 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sbagdon
  • If you have issues with your lock actuators you might need some help to get the buttons on the key working. Lock actuators have been dealt with in the programming thread... the BCM is looking at the actuator sensors, not the lock/unlock switch, so moving the lock button manually works just as well as moving them with the switch.
Agreed,but it has been documented that many aftermarket actuators are missing spring contacts for the lock sensors. Please be aware as this burned me...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-tutorial.html

If you search for actuators plus on ebay...he offers a great solution at a reasonable price. I think he is also active in the forums:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/actuatorplu...p2047675.l2559

Last edited by jefthim; 05-01-19 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: New '02 GS 430; New to Lexus, New to the Forum. Have Concerns.