ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   Alternatives for brake master and booster (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/913975-alternatives-for-brake-master-and-booster.html)

Kstyle55 03-14-19 11:34 PM

Alternatives for brake master and booster

Posted this in bakes and suspension but have yet to get any replies so im trying here. I have already replaced my abs brake master and booster unit that us as gs owners have been cursed with once already and now a few years later my abs light is coming on every once in awhile which i feel like its on its way out again and i refuse to buy another used one and not know how long before its gonna go out again plus its expensive. So i was wonder if anyone knew of any master cylinder and brake booster i can use like the ones out of the sc300 or ls400 or even the supra so i dont have to get another used factory one. Dont really care about abs thats what my right foot is for. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

sbagdon 03-15-19 05:15 AM

Just curious... so the only reason you're doing the repair is to get the light to go out?

TrueGS300 03-15-19 05:35 AM

The entire assembly can be had for $250 from JDM importers on ebay. I did mine that way and the install is quite easy. 4 nuts and two lines, and all the electrical connectors. I don't consider that expensive, but maybe you do. I'd just try another and hope for better luck. Mine has been great so far, but only been in for 6 months now.

sbagdon 03-15-19 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by TrueGS300 (Post 10467059)
The entire assembly can be had for $250 from JDM importers on ebay. I did mine that way and the install is quite easy. 4 nuts and two lines, and all the electrical connectors. I don't consider that expensive, but maybe you do. I'd just try another and hope for better luck. Mine has been great so far, but only been in for 6 months now.

Is this the fix for "ABS engages last few feet, and it drives me crazy" issue...?

TrueGS300 03-15-19 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 10467062)
Is this the fix for "ABS engages last few feet, and it drives me crazy" issue...?

Since its everything in one unit, I'm sure its probably the fix for everything abs related. I didn't have physically low peddle or hydraulic issues, or abs activating at any odd times. I simply had lights going off and the accumulator motor running every time I hit the brakes. I bet a replacement unit and a proper bleed will make the brake system work great.

sbagdon 03-15-19 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by TrueGS300 (Post 10467070)
Since its everything in one unit, I'm sure its probably the fix for everything abs related. I didn't have physically low peddle or hydraulic issues, or abs activating at any odd times. I simply had lights going off and the accumulator motor running every time I hit the brakes. I bet a replacement unit and a proper bleed will make the brake system work great.

That's where I'm at... when the ABS is working, every time we're at a stop, the ABS would activate. Will investigate a new/used/replacement test unit, thx!

TrueGS300 03-15-19 06:17 AM

Ya, feeling JDM "AF" with my Aristo booster :driving: haha :p

AmyUD06 03-16-19 07:16 PM

It could just be a wheel sensor causing the light to come on, y'know.

Kstyle55 03-17-19 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 10467051)
Just curious... so the only reason you're doing the repair is to get the light to go out?

no it is not the only reason if it was i would just remove the bulb. Come on fellas

Kstyle55 03-17-19 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by TrueGS300 (Post 10467059)

well lets see i already changed it once and i just find it really annoying that this thing could be going out again when i can replace with a brand new master and booster for less than what a used one for the gs cost and not have to worry about it again. Im not so worried about the price but the annoyance of the same part going out over and over again i can find many other things i would rather spend my money on like my 3 kids ijs.

j3rf 03-17-19 08:03 AM

What is the code causing the ABS light to illuminate? Should probably check that first before you assume the master cylinder assembly is bad.

Kstyle55 03-17-19 08:18 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...5b4ab054bc.jpg
Here is my bay if anybody was wondering. I dont have money to throw away to keep buying that stupid unit over and over again there are many other things i would like to buy instead. Plus abs imho are for people who dont know how to drive and who dont have any brake control. Plus i was thinking of going manual 6 speed with either v160, cd009 or t56 and switching to a regular booster and master would look way better in the bay than that bulky unit and it would give me alot more room for the clutch slave cylinder but that will be in the future just want to plan ahead

Kstyle55 03-17-19 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by TrueGS300 (Post 10467084)
Ya, feeling JDM "AF" with my Aristo booster :driving: haha :p

Yeah i feel jdm af too with my swap lol

Kstyle55 03-17-19 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by j3rf (Post 10468810)
What is the code causing the ABS light to illuminate? Should probably check that first before you assume the master cylinder assembly is bad.

im gonna be heading to my boys shop to run a scan to see what the problem is just been really busy this past week and havent had time to make it to the shop and as u all should know once u do the 2jzgte vvti swap u cant use a ob2 scanner any more just a heads up for who didnt know

R3VO666 03-19-19 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by TrueGS300 (Post 10467070)

I'm having that same issue of used MBC unit (2nd one) no lights and buzzing no more but very low pedal and accumulator goes off everytime I press the brakes.. I thought i was tripping. So bascially saything that not suppose to happen (accumulator part)? I honeslty was gunna bleed the brakes again to get pressure up and call it a day.