ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   Replace gs400 hid headlight units (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/913443-replace-gs400-hid-headlight-units.html)

Bobmeg1 03-07-19 05:36 PM

Replace gs400 hid headlight units

I'm no expert, need help: My '98 GS400's headlight units have yellowed to the point where I was considering replacing them. This is now become compulsory, as I was replacing the 2825 bulbs with LED194's, and one of the LED units dislodged itself from its socket INSIDE the headlight unit during reinsertion (that left side is a *****). So, I have to remove the unit anyway to get that loose LED out, may as well just replace/update both units. However, all of the replacement units up on Amazon from Seller/Mfr "ACANII" all have the denotation of "Not Compatible on Models w/ Factory HID Headlights", and I'm pretty sure my GS has HID's. I can't seem to find any HID-replacement units from other online sellers that don't seem to be exorbitantly marked up, and those all seem to be the same ACANII units for half the price on Amazon. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would like to stay under $175 for both units (no bulbs). Any assistance/advice would be appreciated. Thank you & regards.

firelizard 03-07-19 05:49 PM

You're unlikely to find HID lamps in good condition for that price. If I knew where such a thing were, I'd buy them myself immediately.
At $1,200/ea new from Lexus, even used sets are very expensive. Expect to spend closer to three or four hundred for a used pair with good clarity

Bobmeg1 03-07-19 06:06 PM

Hi: Thank you for your response. Perhaps I wasn't clear on my original post, or again, not being an expert on the subject, I'm not interpreting your response correctly: I don't want to replace the bulbs, I just want to replace the empty headlight units themselves. Here is what I am refering to:
Although I wouldn't choose that particular unit/style, I offer it as a comparison to what I mentioned previously: Here's what seems to be that exact same ACANII unit for a whole bunch more, but appraently with the "HID" in the part number, an HID-replacement with bulbs/conversion kit: https://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe98legsg2.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140847269338&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8_-f2Kvx4AIVKSCtBh1E7wFbEAQYBSABEgIKRfD_BwE

Bobmeg1 03-07-19 06:12 PM

I guess a better way to phrase what I'm looking for: Are there after-market replacement headlight units that will accept the existing HID bulbs on my GS400, to avoid the cost of replacement OEM units?

firelizard 03-07-19 06:56 PM

No. Not that I know of. Both of those Acanii options are the exact same non-HID headlamp assemblies, not compatible with the OEM HID setup.
I know what you're asking, it will cost you at least a few hundred.

Bobmeg1 03-07-19 07:26 PM

So, I guess that leads me to another idea: Replacing/upgrading the HID's with LED conversion kits , then selling the used HID bulbs? Because you were saying the HID's were expensive, even used?

firelizard 03-07-19 07:42 PM

HID bulbs are cheap. It's the headlamp assembly that is expensive.

SaiyanGS3 03-07-19 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bobmeg1 (Post 10460924)
So, I guess that leads me to another idea: Replacing/upgrading the HID's with LED conversion kits , then selling the used HID bulbs? Because you were saying the HID's were expensive, even used?

dude, this isn’t rocket science. He answered your question multiple times. You have four options and it’s your job to research the costs associated with each one. 1) save and buy a brand new oem set online, 2) check this site or eBay for good, used oem lamps, 3) restore you existing oem lens, or 4) convert everything to a halogen setup

sbagdon 03-08-19 04:03 AM

I have HIDs on my GS4, and I haven't seen yellowing... there's micro-fisures inside the housing, enough to be noticeable, not enough to impact how the unit throws light.

There was some pretty bad clouding, yet nothing 15min with "headlight restorer paste" and a drill-buffer didn't fix... actually, the paste just feels like jewelers buffing paste, we are accumulating different grits, now. The difference between the left/right, when completing one and comparing to the other, was remarkable. Also throws a lot more light, now.

Can you post some pics, so we can view your concerns, with your headlights?

shwalker07 03-08-19 12:00 PM

Just keep a eye out on ebay for a single headlight unit or a set. I bought a single new OEM hid housing for $99 shipped last year but I had to send it back since their listing was wrong and it would not work with my Lexus. Here is both sides for under $500 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Hea...ry!60085!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Hea...ry!60085!US!-1

Bobmeg1 03-09-19 04:18 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...aa6716f335.jpg

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 10461115)
I have HIDs on my GS4, and I haven't seen yellowing... there's micro-fisures inside the housing, enough to be noticeable, not enough to impact how the unit throws light.

There was some pretty bad clouding, yet nothing 15min with "headlight restorer paste" and a drill-buffer didn't fix... actually, the paste just feels like jewelers buffing paste, we are accumulating different grits, now. The difference between the left/right, when completing one and comparing to the other, was remarkable. Also throws a lot more light, now.

Can you post some pics, so we can view your concerns, with your headlights?

Sure, attached. You can see the loose LED replacement unit. I tried driving up an incline and then hard-braking, to see if I could bounce it out, but no joy. Also had no luck with various flexible probes.

I have the 3-step Novus polish product, which I read a lot of motorcyclists have used successfully on worn visors. I could give that a whirl. So, the "yellowing" is relegated to the outside of the plastic lens?

Bobmeg1 03-09-19 06:04 PM

Update: I took the car out on a deserted backroad and did some high speed runs. The loose LED popped itself out of the headlight housing. THAT problem solved.

MOAWINGS 03-10-19 04:06 AM

Hey now, you can find some used HID headlights for around 300-400 bucks shipping and all said and done on croooober if not for less, I've seen pairs as low as 250 total. Seems like a lot of the Japanese car guys are picky about everything being perfect so any defects means cheap for us. You can snag a lot of cheap smaller stuff. I can probably find a couple to post here if you'd like, make sure to search for the chassis code or the japanese model eg JZS160/161/Aristo

sbagdon 03-10-19 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bobmeg1 (Post 10462693)

Sure, attached. You can see the loose LED replacement unit. I tried driving up an incline and then hard-braking, to see if I could bounce it out, but no joy. Also had no luck with various flexible probes.

I have the 3-step Novus polish product, which I read a lot of motorcyclists have used successfully on worn visors. I could give that a whirl. So, the "yellowing" is relegated to the outside of the plastic lens?

If the units are sealed, and the bulb o-rings are good, there shouldn't be any issues on the inside air chamber. Cracks inside the plastic is something you have to decide how much you can live with. On the outside, just use a quality jeweler's-paste and buffer wheel... we used a cheap O'Reilly's kit, with hand-drill buffing wheel, cleaning cloth, and paste, and it came out great. Took a few passes, yet the color is daylight-white, and throws light great again.

If you want cosmetically perfect in side the plastic (no fissures), that's not something you can buff out.

firelizard 03-10-19 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MOAWINGS (Post 10462929)
Hey now, you can find some used HID headlights for around 300-400 bucks shipping and all said and done on croooober if not for less, I've seen pairs as low as 250 total. Seems like a lot of the Japanese car guys are picky about everything being perfect so any defects means cheap for us. You can snag a lot of cheap smaller stuff. I can probably find a couple to post here if you'd like, make sure to search for the chassis code or the japanese model eg JZS160/161/Aristo

Croooober is 80% junk, shipping a pair of headlights would cost ~$150 to most places in the US, and Aristo headlights aim the wrong way for LHD countries.