GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

top of motor is leaking ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 01:47 PM
Desacatao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top of motor is leaking ....

hey bros if the top of my motor is leaking is that the valve cover gasket i need replaced or the head gasket ?? i havent really searched this on here but if someone has a link i would appreciate it so much . Thanks in advance .
Old 03-05-19, 02:26 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Desacatao
hey bros if the top of my motor is leaking is that the valve cover gasket i need replaced or the head gasket ?? i havent really searched this on here but if someone has a link i would appreciate it so much . Thanks in advance .
GS3 or GS4?
Old 03-05-19, 03:52 PM
Desacatao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbagdon
GS3 or GS4?
gs4 big boy motor lol
Old 03-05-19, 04:34 PM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

Probably not the head gasket. If oil (or anything, really) were coming out of your head gasket, you'd also be smoking like crazy and running rough very shortly.

Step 1 would be to clean your motor and identify the origin of the leak. Whatever gasket the leak is coming from, replace that.
Old 03-05-19, 04:43 PM
Desacatao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by firelizard
Probably not the head gasket. If oil (or anything, really) were coming out of your head gasket, you'd also be smoking like crazy and running rough very shortly.

Step 1 would be to clean your motor and identify the origin of the leak. Whatever gasket the leak is coming from, replace that.

im going to clean the motor soon once i get my spark plugs replaced ill have more room to do some cleaning , now im thinking its coming from the valve cover gasket because its from the top of the motor and i have oil in the spark plugs

also a quick suspension question since your a huge help with a lot of things i have , when it comes to the traction bar whats the best method to remove the bolt that is on the chassis i got to take every other bolt off but that one i got to take the nut off but the bolt it self did not want to move at all i havent tried wd40 yet but just wanted some input on that before i try anything else
Old 03-06-19, 03:52 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Regarding the stuck bolt, in general if a bolt is resistant to being removed, do not use excessive force to persuade it as you’ll likely end up breaking the bolt.

Use heat, preferably from a small propane torch, them let it cool, spray a little lubricant, heat again then try removing the nut.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-19, 06:14 AM
fperron
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Air wrench
Old 03-06-19, 10:51 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

it’s either the valve cover gasket‘s or the cam seals
Old 03-06-19, 03:03 PM
Desacatao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lextout
it’s either the valve cover gasket‘s or the cam seals
how would i know exactly if its from one or another ?
Old 03-06-19, 03:07 PM
Desacatao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
Regarding the stuck bolt, in general if a bolt is resistant to being removed, do not use excessive force to persuade it as you’ll likely end up breaking the bolt.

Use heat, preferably from a small propane torch, them let it cool, spray a little lubricant, heat again then try removing the nut.

Good luck.
will deff try to do this appreciate all the help and about an air wrench i wish i had access to one but im not in the budget on buying one but i am going to buy an impact gun sooner or later but in the mean time i will try some heat from a torch i have and some wd40
Old 03-07-19, 04:34 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

If it's the passenger/lower area, guessing the power-steering pump/hoses.
Old 03-07-19, 07:06 AM
Desacatao
Driver School Candidate

If it's the passenger/lower area, guessing the power-steering pump/hoses.

its actually on both sides of the motor im just not sure exactly where its coming from . i know my power steering is leaking but i doubt it can be that covering the top of the motor
Old 03-07-19, 03:08 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

its actually on both sides of the motor im just not sure exactly where its coming from . i know my power steering is leaking but i doubt it can be that covering the top of the motor
With the fans running, oil will go where it wants. We had a Camry with a leak so bad (oil pump o-ring), the rear bumper had an oil-film on it. Liquid will go where gravity and wind drives it...

Yet I'd go back to, clean the engine, and see where it starts.
Old 03-07-19, 03:42 PM
Desacatao
Driver School Candidate

With the fans running, oil will go where it wants. We had a Camry with a leak so bad (oil pump o-ring), the rear bumper had an oil-film on it. Liquid will go where gravity and wind drives it...

Yet I'd go back to, clean the engine, and see where it starts.

hmm that would make sense but how am i getting oil in my spark plugs ? i pulled the coil off and it was drenched in oil which is why my crank sensor went bad since i was having to much electricity running into the spark plugs , i mean thats what my mechanic said . once i change my spark plugs and get the oil out of there my car should start so ima start there and see whats going on once i clean the motor . but i will be checking where is my power steering pump leaking from also . Again i appreciate all the help and input your giving me brother .
Old 03-07-19, 04:34 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

hmm that would make sense but how am i getting oil in my spark plugs ? i pulled the coil off and it was drenched in oil which is why my crank sensor went bad since i was having to much electricity running into the spark plugs , i mean thats what my mechanic said . once i change my spark plugs and get the oil out of there my car should start so ima start there and see whats going on once i clean the motor . but i will be checking where is my power steering pump leaking from also . Again i appreciate all the help and input your giving me brother .
There are some seals in the valve cover the goes around the spark plugs, these get hardened over time due to heat and cause oil to leak into you spark plug wells.
Part number for the Toyota seals are: 11193-70010, you will need 8 of these.
Be sure to clean as much of the oil out of the wells before you remove the plugs.

Quick Reply: top of motor is leaking ....