GS300 Key Wont Unlock The Door - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 Key Wont Unlock The Door

 
Old 03-02-19, 08:33 PM
  #16  
Gs300maste
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: LA
Posts: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Ok, I was wrong. All you need is a master key with or without the keyless entree capabilities to program the new fob. Ive misread and gotten mixed up infos with valet key features. I will get the aftermarket key fob from eBay, get the key cut by local locksmith and program it and see if it works. As far as passenger door, glove box and trunk lock cylinders go, Im hoping those cylinders are just froze up because of the age.....I will keep you updated. Thanks so much for your instructions! Im new to Lexus or luxury cars period and having no ideas lol
Gs300maste is offline  
Old 03-02-19, 11:51 PM
  #17  
shwalker07
Pole Position
 
shwalker07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 341
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default

If you buy your Lexus key through your local Lexus dealer they should cut it to your vin for free when you bring in your vehicle title and ID. Also look around for prices because my 2 closest Lexus dealers each quoted me $141 and $229 for the same master key and they were within a 15 minute drive from each other also.

On my Lexus I lost my one and only master key so I had to send the ECU to get reprogrammed to accept the new Lexus key and I used this thread to program that new master key so the buttons work:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...400-430-a.html
shwalker07 is offline  
Old 03-03-19, 03:32 AM
  #18  
sbagdon
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: MI
Posts: 244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gs300maste View Post
Ok, I was wrong. All you need is a master key with or without the keyless entree capabilities to program the new fob. Ive misread and gotten mixed up infos with valet key features. I will get the aftermarket key fob from eBay, get the key cut by local locksmith and program it and see if it works. As far as passenger door, glove box and trunk lock cylinders go, Im hoping those cylinders are just froze up because of the age.....I will keep you updated. Thanks so much for your instructions! Im new to Lexus or luxury cars period and having no ideas lol
I'd just prefer to believe they are stuck from age, non-use, or corrosion. Hard to believe they'd be different. Best case is, some penetrating-lubricant, then graphite-powder... worst case, you have to pull them, and have a qualified locksmith break them down, clean them, then put them back together.

Originally Posted by shwalker07 View Post
If you buy your Lexus key through your local Lexus dealer they should cut it to your vin for free when you bring in your vehicle title and ID. Also look around for prices because my 2 closest Lexus dealers each quoted me $141 and $229 for the same master key and they were within a 15 minute drive from each other also.

On my Lexus I lost my one and only master key so I had to send the ECU to get reprogrammed to accept the new Lexus key and I used this thread to program that new master key so the buttons work:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...400-430-a.html
On that thread, pay special attention to posts 166 and 167... frustrating that lock actuators can lock/unlock the striker, yet not signal correctly current-state to the body control module.

As per Lexus... yes, frustrating. There are (3) Lexus dealerships in our region, and non-car-sale service is atrocious. To get a part from our closest one, you have to walk up to a desk, press a door signal, and someone comes out a locked-area, to go back in to their office to look things up... no outside terminal. Gotten to the point that we take in diagrams and yellow highlight the part we need, then wait while they dig around for it. Hence, everything we get is usually from eBay, unless it's an odd-ball part, or can't wait. And yes... the prices from dealership to dealership is that different, with no discernible logic.
sbagdon is offline  
Old 03-03-19, 04:52 PM
  #19  
Gs300maste
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: LA
Posts: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by sbagdon View Post
I'd just prefer to believe they are stuck from age, non-use, or corrosion. Hard to believe they'd be different. Best case is, some penetrating-lubricant, then graphite-powder... worst case, you have to pull them, and have a qualified locksmith break them down, clean them, then put them back together.


On that thread, pay special attention to posts 166 and 167... frustrating that lock actuators can lock/unlock the striker, yet not signal correctly current-state to the body control module.

As per Lexus... yes, frustrating. There are (3) Lexus dealerships in our region, and non-car-sale service is atrocious. To get a part from our closest one, you have to walk up to a desk, press a door signal, and someone comes out a locked-area, to go back in to their office to look things up... no outside terminal. Gotten to the point that we take in diagrams and yellow highlight the part we need, then wait while they dig around for it. Hence, everything we get is usually from eBay, unless it's an odd-ball part, or can't wait. And yes... the prices from dealership to dealership is that different, with no discernible logic.
The closest Lexus dealership to my area is about 150miles away.....its a lot of driving to get the key cut and reprogrammed by them honestly. Its really not an option for me. Im thinking about giving local Toyota dealer a call and see if they can get the blank key cut from my VIN. If not I have to use my possibly worn key to duplicate the new one by locksmith. Hope everything goes smoothly. Ive ordered 2 set of keys with remote on eBay last night so should be getting those mailed in by sometimes this week.

Question, Is it possible to have more than 2 master keys at the same time?

Last edited by Gs300maste; 03-03-19 at 05:04 PM.
Gs300maste is offline  
Old 03-04-19, 04:36 PM
  #20  
sbagdon
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: MI
Posts: 244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gs300maste View Post
The closest Lexus dealership to my area is about 150miles away.....its a lot of driving to get the key cut and reprogrammed by them honestly. Its really not an option for me. Im thinking about giving local Toyota dealer a call and see if they can get the blank key cut from my VIN. If not I have to use my possibly worn key to duplicate the new one by locksmith. Hope everything goes smoothly. Ive ordered 2 set of keys with remote on eBay last night so should be getting those mailed in by sometimes this week.

Question, Is it possible to have more than 2 master keys at the same time?
Believe so. We presume our car came with 2 masters, we bought it with 1, and we've added another... not sure what the limit is... 4? 6? 8?

Toyota can do just about anything Lexus can do, minus a few things. I can get parts from Toyota, and did, as they were much closer then the nearest Lexus dealership. Just can say one way or another if they have the locksmith tools to do the Lexus keys... not sure if any Toyotas use that key style.
sbagdon is offline  
Old 03-04-19, 10:47 PM
  #21  
TW99GS300
Pole Position
 
TW99GS300's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: WA
Posts: 379
Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Default

There are 2 parts to a key, the transponder and the key blade.
Regarding the key blade, could just be a bad cut, or the lock tumblers were changed at some point but incomplete set.
The security light is the tell all for your transponder. if it shuts off immediately upon inserting into ignition, it's a master key. If it stays on for 2 seconds after insert, it's a valet.

There's a seller on FB called luxious auto that makes flip style keys. I think it's around $60 or $70 with cutting and shipping included.
TW99GS300 is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 05:13 PM
  #22  
Gs300maste
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: LA
Posts: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Update...
So I got the eBay blank key($12 shipped) and cut by local locksmith for $35. I tried to programmed it myself and bam! everything works! Physical key works on all doors + trunk except for the glove box. Im guessing my original key that came with car is worn pretty bad. Now I can lock/unlock the doors/trunk by remotes and insert/start up with new key no problem! Thanks ClubLexus!
Gs300maste is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 06:22 PM
  #23  
sbagdon
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: MI
Posts: 244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gs300maste View Post
Update...
So I got the eBay blank key($12 shipped) and cut by local locksmith for $35. I tried to programmed it myself and bam! everything works! Physical key works on all doors + trunk except for the glove box. Im guessing my original key that came with car is worn pretty bad. Now I can lock/unlock the doors/trunk by remotes and insert/start up with new key no problem! Thanks ClubLexus!
Awesome!

What about the trunk lockout cylinder between the gas and trunk buttons...?
sbagdon is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 07:51 PM
  #24  
Gs300maste
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: LA
Posts: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by sbagdon View Post
Awesome!

What about the trunk lockout cylinder between the gas and trunk buttons...?
sbagdon, yes the trunk lock out works smooth too! Just the glove box key doesnt work for some reasons.. I'm ok with the result though. I'm very happy with it!
Gs300maste is offline  
Old 03-15-19, 04:18 AM
  #25  
sbagdon
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: MI
Posts: 244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gs300maste View Post
sbagdon, yes the trunk lock out works smooth too! Just the glove box key doesnt work for some reasons.. I'm ok with the result though. I'm very happy with it!
Again. awesome. Something to address later, yet at least you can get in/out of the car, and start it... !
sbagdon is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: