GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ABS codes 33/34, just want speedo back

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 03:29 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ctor-ring.html
Old 05-24-19, 03:32 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-problem.html
Old 05-27-19, 04:36 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks much... and where have you been, the last year...?! : )

In an attempt to know what parts to price/order from Lexus (we take in the COMP sheets from the pdf manual, and circle the parts, so they know what they are pricing/ordering)...

* if we order new/rebuilt shafts, do we need to add the #2 dust deflector, or does that usually come with shafts?

* if we want to rebuild an oem shaft, is the ABS reluctor ring separate, and can you get that part from Lexus? Reviewing the pdf COMP sheets, don't see the part called out in the parts diagram (specifically SA-51, page 2033).

* if we rebuild the shaft, or replace with a new/rebuilt shaft, it sounds that we need to replace the axle carrier (#1) dust deflector... correct?

We'll head in to Lexus after the holiday, and get pricing and order, so we're ready for the next available window, to replace these shafts.

Thx!
Old 05-27-19, 07:59 PM
MW6006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, now I'm going to have to go check the tone rings which are probably the culprit. Thanks engin_ear!
Old 05-28-19, 11:19 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Thanks much... and where have you been, the last year...?! : )

In an attempt to know what parts to price/order from Lexus (we take in the COMP sheets from the pdf manual, and circle the parts, so they know what they are pricing/ordering)...

* if we order new/rebuilt shafts, do we need to add the #2 dust deflector, or does that usually come with shafts?

* if we want to rebuild an oem shaft, is the ABS reluctor ring separate, and can you get that part from Lexus? Reviewing the pdf COMP sheets, don't see the part called out in the parts diagram (specifically SA-51, page 2033).

* if we rebuild the shaft, or replace with a new/rebuilt shaft, it sounds that we need to replace the axle carrier (#1) dust deflector... correct?

We'll head in to Lexus after the holiday, and get pricing and order, so we're ready for the next available window, to replace these shafts.

Thx!
Haha! My car has been parked in garage for 3 years with emissions failure and this ABS failure. I just fixed it all, so now looking for information on here again, and happy to contribute as well.

Dust deflectors do not come with CV axles. Order the Febest ones, they're made in Germany and look exactly like the OEM ones, and are strong. Use a block of wood to evenly and lightly tap it in with a hammer.
I do not suggest ordering anything from Lexus. You will literally pay 4X what it's worth. They will see you coming.
The reluctor rings can be ordered from reluctorrings.com, or something close to that. You'll pay probably $50 per ring. make sure that what you get has the correct exact # of teeth.
I strongly suggest buying new CV axles from NAPA. These are original factory OEM remans. They take in the core and rehab the whole axle to the point where they look new, and they replace anything that needs to be replaced, clean the threads, new main nut, new bearings.

Yes, the dust deflector is mounted IN the axle carrier. It's the actual axle carrier that has rusted underneath the ring.
Old 05-29-19, 02:38 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Not going to replace the reluctor ring, when I can get a new unit for a few dollars more. Maybe later, yet not this time around.

Here are my options:

NAPA (local)
RR 944127 new, $100.99 (no core)
RL 954141 reman, $72.99 +$50core
RR 954142 reman, $72.99 +$50core

RockAuto (mail-order)
Cardone RR 665061 new, $61.79 (no core)
Cardone RL 605059 reman, $56.79 +$50core
Cardone RR 605061 reman, $58.79 +$50core
Surtrack/Trakmotive RL TO8311 new, $67.79 (no core)
Surtrack/Trakmotive RR TO8314 new, $83.99 (no core)

Go with the local NAPA rebuilts?

And then I'll need an cv-axle dust-deflector and axle-carrier dust-deflector, for each side... correct?
Old 05-29-19, 09:50 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

The NAPA rebuilds are Cardone, so you can get them from RockAuto as well. I got the Surtrack/Trakmotive and didn't use them, didn't like the quality.
As for the dust deflector, you only need one for each side. It's a big round metal ring with a cutout in it for the ABS sensor. The other one is probably for the bearing, which you're not replacing.
Old 05-29-19, 09:52 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

I just got them from NAPA, so I ordered them, picked them up in store (no shipping), then brought them the cores back and got a credit on CC.
Old 05-29-19, 09:56 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Dust deflector is here, for GS400. I imagine the GS300 is same, but cannot verify.
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-29-19, 10:13 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

If you're doing it yourself, you'll need a Polyurea-Based grease (I used Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty (green polyurea), not the Lucas red stuff). Do not mix grease types, the bases are often incompatible.

The axles will come with a wire tie around the inner CV joint bearing. Do not remove this until ready to bolt up the inner side. Get it into final position and then cut off the wire tie. If you remove it too early and then jockey the axle around to get it in place, the twisting can cause the 6 individual ball bearings to fall out (this happened to me!), and you'll have a helluva time getting them back in.
Old 05-30-19, 02:51 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

The grease isn't needed for the ABS sensor/reluctor rings. The existing grease on them comes from the bearings.
Old 05-30-19, 04:04 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by engin_ear
The NAPA rebuilds are Cardone, so you can get them from RockAuto as well. I got the Surtrack/Trakmotive and didn't use them, didn't like the quality.
As for the dust deflector, you only need one for each side. It's a big round metal ring with a cutout in it for the ABS sensor. The other one is probably for the bearing, which you're not replacing.
We'll probably go with the NAPA rebuilds, will stop by and order them today.

That's the axle-carrier "dust deflector". There's also the axle-shaft "#2 dust deflector", which I read was not included with the axle-shaft. Just trying to figure out what to pre-order.

And, ok... for some reason, Lexus doesn't call it the "#1 dust deflector", yet that's Lexus for you.

I just got them from NAPA, so I ordered them, picked them up in store (no shipping), then brought them the cores back and got a credit on CC.
Yea, that was the plan. There aren't that many NAPAs around here... you can throw a stone, and hit the big chains in this area... yet not NAPA.

Dust deflector is here, for GS400. I imagine the GS300 is same, but cannot verify.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The high-hp GS3/GS4/GS43/Supra all use the same axle-shaft, so they would all use the same parts for anything on the axle-shaft. Presumably, they'd use the same axle-carrier parts, yet knowing T/L, that might be a presumption.

If you're doing it yourself, you'll need a Polyurea-Based grease (I used Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty (green polyurea), not the Lucas red stuff). Do not mix grease types, the bases are often incompatible.

The axles will come with a wire tie around the inner CV joint bearing. Do not remove this until ready to bolt up the inner side. Get it into final position and then cut off the wire tie. If you remove it too early and then jockey the axle around to get it in place, the twisting can cause the 6 individual ball bearings to fall out (this happened to me!), and you'll have a helluva time getting them back in.
Bad that I can say... been there, done that. The '88-'89 MR2 SC's used the 6-bearing axles, and yes... when you twisted them too far, they would come apart, and they were a pain to get back together.

Originally Posted by TW99GS300
The grease isn't needed for the ABS sensor/reluctor rings. The existing grease on them comes from the bearings.
Good to know.

Updates to come.
Old 05-30-19, 06:30 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Ordered the NAPA cv-axles today, have to be shipped in, ups, from Chicago. I have to (literally) pass the store, on the way to/from work. They come in next week, will pick up before/after work.

Ordered the "dust deflector" and "#2 dust deflector" pairs, at Lexus. Call me a masochist, if you must... yet just something about installing Genuine Lexus parts.

Everything should go in next week (when all the parts arrive), or next weekend. Just looking forward to having a working speedo...

Updates to come.
Old 06-01-19, 04:49 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Axles came in next day (one dated 1704, another 1903?), and picked up the Lexus (#1) dust deflectors. Going to attempt tomorrow.
Old 06-02-19, 09:44 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Set to putting the new cv-axles in, and ran in to a little snag... the upper/forward control-arms (pipe, not u-channel, not sure if it's #1 or #2). The axle-carrier has a bushing that the control-arm bolt goes through, that attaches the control-arm to the axle-carrier... that bolt has seized to the channel on the inside of the axle-carrier bushing, so that the bolt and the bushing are spinning freely, together. I can get the nut off, yet I can't get the bolt out, as it's seized to the inside of the bushing... it'll spin with the bushing, yet it won't eject from the bushing. I've run in to this many times parting cars, and at pick-a-part locations, yet now I have to deal with this, with a car I want to put back together.

So, the question is... can I remove the axles, after removing the frame bracket, and only the lower control-arm... does that give enough wiggle room, to get the outer axle cv-joint around the suspension? Has anyone tried to replace a cv-axle, without removing both the lower and upper/forward control arms, and only the lower control arm?

I noticed that the bushings that are attached to the axle-carrier (lower and upper/forward control-arms) are both in bad shape, and I was planning on tackling that job in the near future. Yet I didn't want to combine both jobs at the same time... I just want to replace the cv-axles, mainly to see if this solves the abs/vsv/speedo issue.

As a note, I was able to push out the right cv-axle just enough to inspect the reluctor ring, and it was almost flat. The new cv-axles have distinctive rises, yet the old one is just about flat, with just minor changes in height. So hoping I can replace the cv-axles by removing only one control-arm... having hope this will fix the problem.

Thx!

Last edited by sbagdon; 06-02-19 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: ABS codes 33/34, just want speedo back