GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is ticking normal

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 06:38 PM
BryanH19
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is ticking normal

hey guys I’ve noticed that the gs I got started making some ticking noise, well it’s been there but sometimes it’s loud and sometimes it’s quiet. I looked it up and people say it’s normal on a GS300 but I wanted to make sure it’s actually normal. It does it a bit louder when it revs higher but moslty when put in drive and when in park it barley can be heard. From inside it sounds like it’s coming from the vents which I thought it was something with the vents but just wanted to make sure it’s nothing serve. Car is running great nothing bad so far. I forgot the details about how I run the car, I know but I do run regular gas because of money problems at the time. But the car feels great it’s just a tick, I was thinking maybe oil but after reading the forums it could be a value adjustment or just the level of gas I’m running or both. The tick is quiet like barley noticeable but sometimes it gets kinda loud. I open the hood and when in park and idling you can’t really hear it, when I rev it you start hearing it but very little. But it’s mostly when in drive and when actually stepping on the gas.

Last edited by BryanH19; 02-13-19 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 11:56 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

More than likely it is just the fuel injectors clicking away. It is like that on my Supra also and even makes more noise than the engine at certain rpms. I would suggest you use the proper grade gas for you Lexus and if you cant use the premium gas then get the mid-grade at least. I have experimented with different grades of gas myself and I can tell you with the 87 you burn more gas, get more engine knock, you feel more engine vibrations through the cabin and the motor does not perform the greatest. Mid-grade gas performs way better but for the best use premium.
Old 02-14-19, 06:57 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

The car calls for 91 oct. You are probably hearing pinging from poor fuel quality. A misconception is that you will save money by using lower grade fuel. But the car will burn that fuel up quicker using more effort to work anyway. Premium will keep it's efficiency up. It's also worth using Chevron with Techron or Shell V-power. You will keep your injectors and valves clean. Lack of fuel economy gets even worse as you use worse fuel and allow the fuel system and airways to gum up with carbon.

Always with any engine noise, check your oil and make sure it is still good first. If you are developing lifter tick, its time to move to a high mileage oil blend. My shop uses 10w30 synthetic blend (not full synthetic) for noisy high miles cars and it helps make up for the worn out oil passages and clearances between parts.

One other thing to check for is exhaust leaks at the manifold. A bad manifold to head exhaust gasket at one port can make a tick noise.
Old 02-14-19, 10:23 AM
EuroWill
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by shwalker07
More than likely it is just the fuel injectors clicking away. It is like that on my Supra also and even makes more noise than the engine at certain rpms. I would suggest you use the proper grade gas for you Lexus and if you cant use the premium gas then get the mid-grade at least. I have experimented with different grades of gas myself and I can tell you with the 87 you burn more gas, get more engine knock, you feel more engine vibrations through the cabin and the motor does not perform the greatest. Mid-grade gas performs way better but for the best use premium.
It is definitely not your injectors. There is no way you are hearing them at any RPM above about 1200.

It is almost certainly the fact that you are using cheap gas. I have done the math multiple times and the overall cost per mile of using premium fuel is less than $.01 more than using cheap fuel.

Will
Old 02-14-19, 11:36 AM
BryanH19
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you everyone for the reply, I’m pretty sure it’s a combo of a oil change and gas, the reason I say oil change is because it’s due to the service sticker says it’s past due on a oil change. Keep in mind I just bought the car about a week ago just haven’t had time to do the oil change will do that immediately. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a normal thing or if anything was broken.