ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   What's a good transmission cooler (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/911456-whats-a-good-transmission-cooler.html)

Enforcer84 02-12-19 08:59 AM

What's a good transmission cooler

For 2000 Lexus gs300

Tuanville 02-12-19 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Enforcer84 (Post 10437878)
For 2000 Lexus gs300

The one that's already built in to the radiator.

I think all cooler are the same, just depend on where you mount them.

shwalker07 02-12-19 09:56 PM

The built-in one in the radiator does a great job. Are you running a high HP Lexus, race it a lot or have a fully built automatic transmission?

Revive 02-13-19 06:29 PM

B&M 70264

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...24058df099.jpg

TrueGS300 02-14-19 07:10 AM

B&M make great products, but expensive. They really all are about the same and serve the same purpose. They are all universal fit and usually get tied to the condenser by plastic ties. For me it depends on the car what one I go with. For my built Vette, it got a B&M with its own fan (still in series with the radiator cooler). For my old 84 Trans-am after it finally needed a trans rebuild at 30 years old, I picked up a cheap Flex-a-light brand one and ran it in series with the radiator liquid cooler. What I do know is that you always retain the radiator cooler as liquid cooling is much more efficient than air. Then you run your added cooler in series after the radiator cooler and then the fluid goes back to the trans. There is plenty of room on these cars to mount basically any cooler you want.

Revive 02-14-19 10:40 PM

The B&M is less than $100... That’s expensive? I mean, if you’re comparing it to $80 low grade steel headers I guess so. Also, the B&M is a stacked plate, which is a better design than cheap tube and fin coolers usually found at crappy parts stores, so actually they’re not all the same?:egads: If you want one of those, you might as well just snag it off a truck in the junkyard since b&m is too expensive and all...

West51210 02-14-19 11:47 PM

TrueGS300 02-15-19 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Revive (Post 10440539)
The B&M is less than $100... That’s expensive? I mean, if you’re comparing it to $80 low grade steel headers I guess so. Also, the B&M is a stacked plate, which is a better design than cheap tube and fin coolers usually found at crappy parts stores, so actually they’re not all the same?:egads: If you want one of those, you might as well just snag it off a truck in the junkyard since b&m is too expensive and all...

What are you slapping your head for? Regardless of design, they are meant to do the same thing. Some may be larger in size or wider or provide more cooling if necessary. I highly doubt the op will ever drive in a way that even needs one. My B&M one was over $450 (That's a good one). Yours is a very basic cooler and a tube and fin design will be just as sufficient for any street driving you could ever do. I've had coolers on multiple vehicles and watched data. They all stay a good 20 degrees cooler at operating temp. The fanned B&M one never let my vetts trans get over 175 (where I had it set to be at). Go as over kill as you want, but don't bash the tube and fin because you read they suck somewhere. They work outstanding and can be had for 25-30 bucks.

Also, researching your B&M part number... your model of cooler at its size and dimensions is meant for heavy duty trucks, for towing, and motor-homes. Way overkill for a sedan, but whatever you want for your car :thumbup: We wont go into why "too cool" is a bad thing or why they put thermostats in transmission systems these days so that the fluid stays warm enough to actually pass through the valve body and through solenoids at the proper viscosity. Bigger is always better :nono:

firelizard 02-15-19 09:21 AM

Considering the GS already has a transmission cooler that's adequate for a stock vehicle, it's safe to assume they are looking for extra cooling

Revive 02-15-19 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by TrueGS300 (Post 10440643)
What are you slapping your head for?

Slapping my head because there's probably a reason OG's never post here anymore... My cooler is "very basic" and any will do... Except it's "overkill"? Let me go back in time 6yrs to change my setup before something bad happens! My trans fluid might be too cold in upstate NY. Or central Michigan in the dead of winter. Or maybe it'll have issues in south Florida summers?(spoiler: It didn't)

Can you tell us more about your sweet vette? :eek2:

DaveGS4 02-15-19 11:13 AM

OP, there are plenty of good options out there. The B&M mentioned is a quality item and they've got several decently priced models.

My old one was a Permacool and it worked fine. Search on the forum isn't working right now so can't link you, but plenty of past threads on this topic once it comes back up. Here's one I got with google showing my old Perma-cool setup, just a basic tube and fin type

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-cooler-2.html