timing belt info - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

timing belt info

Old 01-28-19, 05:16 PM
Ham
Rookie

Default timing belt info

ordering parts to do my timing belt and wanted to know if the Blue gates racing belt is better then the OEM timing belt

Old 01-28-19, 07:53 PM
SaiyanGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, why are you attempting to recreate a wheel that's 21 years old at this point? You can get an OEM/Mitsuboshi TB that's rated for at least 100k on eBay for $50 or less, with free shipping. Or better yet, buy the timing belt kit which saves more money.
Old 01-28-19, 08:26 PM
RXGS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3 View Post
Dude, why are you attempting to recreate a wheel that's 21 years old at this point? You can get an OEM/Mitsuboshi TB that's rated for at least 100k on eBay for $50 or less, with free shipping. Or better yet, buy the timing belt kit which saves more money.
I think it may be time for someone to buy a new car, or at least frequent a new forum sub section, you just seem upset when you log onto the 2GS section.
The Following User Says Thank You to RXGS For This Useful Post:
TrueGS300 (02-03-19)
Old 01-28-19, 08:30 PM
Ham
Rookie

Thanks for the answer. It seem like you can't even ask a simple question on this forum without someone saying that its been answered already and its old.Yes the car is 19 years old now. But new technology,products and the way some work is performed has changed in that time.
most of the time you search you get dead links and or products that don't exist any more. Better yet the person that made the old post is no longer around.
I don't know how many pages i clicked on and they don't work or exist any longer.
it's really not that serious.
I'll probably get the boot but what ever.
You don't get this treatment on the bimmer,maxima,jeep, and hayabusa forums.
Old 01-28-19, 08:49 PM
Ham
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXGS View Post
I think it may be time for someone to buy a new car, or at least frequent a new forum sub section, you just seem upset when you log onto the 2GS section.
I don't get upset unless someone puts there hands on me. I actually just purchased this car about a month ago as a project/daily driver/grocery getter so I wouldn't put miles on my Bmw and other cars. So im not upset at all over a car. Its not my first and definitely not the last. I just dont get people and social media,and fourms. If anything I'm baffled. Again what ever 🤣🤣🤣🤣
yet still no one answers a simple question must be a Lexus thing.

Last edited by Ham; 01-28-19 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 09:14 PM
SaiyanGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Thanks for the answer. It seem like you can't even ask a simple question on this forum without someone saying that its been answered already and its old.Yes the car is 19 years old now. But new technology,products and the way some work is performed has changed in that time.
most of the time you search you get dead links and or products that don't exist any more. Better yet the person that made the old post is no longer around.
I don't know how many pages i clicked on and they don't work or exist any longer.
Did you really search? Broken links? Come on bro...this is exactly why I or older members respond impatiently or don't respond at all. Newer members are sensitive against constructive feedback or want to be spoon fed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/729844-timing-belt-kit-from-amazon.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/341655-98-gs400-timing-belt-kit-part-s.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/338763-another-90k-parts-list-request.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/669651-timing-belt-kits.html

Old 01-28-19, 09:16 PM
SaiyanGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXGS View Post
Add something substantive to the thread or don't respond at all. Is that angry enough for you?

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 01-28-19 at 09:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiyanGS3 For This Useful Post:
RXGS (01-29-19)
Old 01-29-19, 12:12 AM
firelizard
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the answer. It seem like you can't even ask a simple question on this forum without someone saying that its been answered already.
90% of the time it has and the person saying so has seen it for themselves.

Mitsuboshi belt is a hamburger, Gates RPM belt is a cheeseburger. They're both perfectly fine timing belts for a stock motor. Gates tells you what's different about the RPM belt on their site, it's very straightforward.
Old 01-29-19, 06:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't get upset unless someone puts there hands on me. I actually just purchased this car about a month ago as a project/daily driver/grocery getter so I wouldn't put miles on my Bmw and other cars. So im not upset at all over a car. Its not my first and definitely not the last. I just dont get people and social media,and fourms. If anything I'm baffled. Again what ever 🤣🤣🤣🤣
yet still no one answers a simple question must be a Lexus thing.
That was a response to saiyangs3 not you ha
Old 01-29-19, 07:49 PM
Ham
Rookie

Sorry about that. My apology
Old 01-30-19, 11:27 AM
shwalker07
Pole Position

I been running Gates Blue Racing belt in my Supra and it is a very well constructed good quality timing belt but when it comes time to do the timing belt in my GS300 I would just stick with OEM unless you plan on some big horsepower numbers.
Old 01-30-19, 11:52 AM
Ham
Rookie

Originally Posted by shwalker07 View Post
I been running Gates Blue Racing belt in my Supra and it is a very well constructed good quality timing belt but when it comes time to do the timing belt in my GS300 I would just stick with OEM unless you plan on some big horsepower numbers.
hey thanks for that answer. I ordered a gates will be here today.
Old 01-30-19, 02:16 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

HP doesn't make bit of difference. I've seen plenty of 9 second Supras that rev 8k rpms using OEM belts and never any problems. Race teams use Gates because they tear down often and reuse belts. That is all.
Old 02-01-19, 08:04 PM
Gs300maste
Driver School Candidate

Since you are not getting any helps or 2cents on here, Im gonna chime in. I have those on my turbo civic for over 60k plus lol Ive been building Hondas for a quite while now if that eases your mind a little. I use those Gates blue on my builds because of the bling factor. Gates blue or their OEM equivalent wont really make a difference in my opinion. Ive used them all from Autozone kind to Gates, they all hold up just fine. I mean you wont be changing your timing belt so often anyways so why would you even bother spending more on timing belt. Id make sure and get good water pump though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gs300maste For This Useful Post:
firelizard (02-01-19)
Old 02-01-19, 08:52 PM
Ham
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gs300maste View Post
Since you are not getting any helps or 2cents on here, Im gonna chime in. I have those on my turbo civic for over 60k plus lol Ive been building Hondas for a quite while now if that eases your mind a little. I use those Gates blue on my builds because of the bling factor. Gates blue or their OEM equivalent wont really make a difference in my opinion. Ive used them all from Autozone kind to Gates, they all hold up just fine. I mean you wont be changing your timing belt so often anyways so why would you even bother spending more on timing belt. Id make sure and get good water pump though.
thanks. Well i hope the ASIN water pump works out good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: