GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Leaking gasket at the thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 09:51 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts
Default Leaking gasket at the thermostat

I did a timing belt + train , water-pump and thermostat change.

The joint at the thermostat and hose connection is seeping coolant. I did replace the gasket and torqued to spec, bt it seems it did not go well.

Reaching out to members to see if they have any word of advice.

Engine-side - thermostat - gasket/seal (it seems to fit around the perimeter of the thermostat, then the outlet (or inlet), then the hose.

Should I put a sealant between the two flat metal surfaces?

Any good way to clean the red/orange dried up coolant?

Salim
Old 01-14-19, 10:44 AM
KTGS300
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Is the leak coming from the thermostat gasket? Or the connection to the lower radiator hose?

If the latter, the obvious questions are:
- Did you replace the radiator hose, or re-use existing?
- Did you sand down thermostat housing connector? There could be some build up stuck to the surface of the connector causing coolant to sip through. Make sure the surface is nice and smooth.
- Have you checked the thermostat housing for hairline crack?
Old 01-14-19, 11:28 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by KTGS300
Is the leak coming from the thermostat gasket? Or the connection to the lower radiator hose?

If the latter, the obvious questions are:
- Did you replace the radiator hose, or re-use existing?
- Did you sand down thermostat housing connector? There could be some build up stuck to the surface of the connector causing coolant to sip through. Make sure the surface is nice and smooth.
- Have you checked the thermostat housing for hairline crack?
The leak is between the two metal surfaces that hold the thermostat and the hose receiver [3 studs + nuts to bind them together]. There was no leak before and I did not abuse either ends. Crack would have leaked before, but I will look for one when i take it apart.

I doubt that the seal is formed by the two metal surfaces, but I did not polish them down. I thought the seal is formed by the thermostat 0 ring/seal and the rest is just a flange. That is the other reason why i asked if I should add a FIPG material between he flange and the thermostat carrier.

But I will
1) Examine for cracks
2) Polish the two surfaces together

I opting not to over torque till the leak goes away.

Any ideas how to remove the crud .. wd40?/ other cleaner?

Salim
Old 01-14-19, 12:52 PM
CochyGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after cleaning up the gasketed area, use some blue rtv with the gasket to help seal and spots the gasket may miss. i do this for any and every gasket as a precaution.
Old 01-14-19, 01:22 PM
KTGS300
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The leak is between the two metal surfaces that hold the thermostat and the hose receiver [3 studs + nuts to bind them together]. There was no leak before and I did not abuse either ends. Crack would have leaked before, but I will look for one when i take it apart.

I doubt that the seal is formed by the two metal surfaces, but I did not polish them down. I thought the seal is formed by the thermostat 0 ring/seal and the rest is just a flange. That is the other reason why i asked if I should add a FIPG material between he flange and the thermostat carrier.

But I will
1) Examine for cracks
2) Polish the two surfaces together

I opting not to over torque till the leak goes away.

Any ideas how to remove the crud .. wd40?/ other cleaner

Salim
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the thermostat housing water outlet that the radiator hose connects to that need cleaning.

For the thermostat gasket, make sure it fits around and covers bot sides of the thermostat edge. As far as I know, that's the only gasket used for that connection (thermostat housing to the engine block). I would not recommend using any type of sealant with the gasket. If it's leaking from there, you should try replacing your thermostat housing first.
Old 01-16-19, 08:14 PM
salimshah

Replacement gasket came in mail. I opened up the thermostat and sure enough I messed up on the last assembly. The gasket is supposed to sandwich the thermostat and I had it on one side.There are two part numbers for the gasket and the new one is plumper, but never the less I goofed last time.

Will test out tomorrow.

Salim