Steering Wheel - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering Wheel

Old 01-14-19, 06:59 AM
Bassysingh
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering Wheel

So, I'm brand new to this Lexus game, help me out here. I'll be asking a plethora of questions that I hope you all can help me with. Firstly, my steering wheel doesn't have the down buttons. 1) wth? 2) can I switch it for ones with the buttons without an issue? 3) has there been an updated solution to solve radio controls on these models?

Help a noob out if you can
Old 01-14-19, 08:41 AM
RVAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Assuming you either have a 98-00 GS300 or 01+ GS430. No, you can't just retrofit the steering wheel and have the buttons work. There are differences in the transmissions that allow the feature to work - shift solenoids primarily, I believe. Someone else may be able to comment on whether or not you could replace these solenoids and gain the functionality.

The 98-00 GS300 didn't have the e-shift capability I assume because the GS400 was considered the 'sporty' offering. I believe the GS430 lost the feature due to the car being certified as ULEV. At least the 430 got steering wheel audio controls that can't easily be added to any other model.
Old 01-14-19, 09:29 PM
Bassysingh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RVAGS400 View Post
Assuming you either have a 98-00 GS300 or 01+ GS430. No, you can't just retrofit the steering wheel and have the buttons work. There are differences in the transmissions that allow the feature to work - shift solenoids primarily, I believe. Someone else may be able to comment on whether or not you could replace these solenoids and gain the functionality.

The 98-00 GS300 didn't have the e-shift capability I assume because the GS400 was considered the 'sporty' offering. I believe the GS430 lost the feature due to the car being certified as ULEV. At least the 430 got steering wheel audio controls that can't easily be added to any other model.
Oh man, I didn't even state what I had. So yeah, I grabbed a 00 GS300.
If anybody has a thread about making the buttons work, pls lmk.
Also, what about button controls for car audio? I think there are kits out there that attach to the OEM steering wheel, anybody done this?
Old 01-15-19, 06:40 AM
RVAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bassysingh View Post
Oh man, I didn't even state what I had. So yeah, I grabbed a 00 GS300.
If anybody has a thread about making the buttons work, pls lmk.
Also, what about button controls for car audio? I think there are kits out there that attach to the OEM steering wheel, anybody done this?
The GS430 had audio controls:

Here is one thread where someone used a PAC module with an aftermarket stereo to get things to work. I haven't seen a way to make them work with any stock stereo, 98-2000 or 01+. There was never a stock GS that had both audio controls and e-shift.
I was able however to put an 01+ stereo in my 2000 GS400 by making a pigtail harness. The extra features like RDS and a display that won't burn out made that worth it.
Old 01-16-19, 07:24 AM
rossmer
Driver School Candidate

The GS430 had audio controls:

Here is one thread where someone used a PAC module with an aftermarket stereo to get things to work. I haven't seen a way to make them work with any stock stereo, 98-2000 or 01+. There was never a stock GS that had both audio controls and e-shift.
I was able however to put an 01+ stereo in my 2000 GS400 by making a pigtail harness. The extra features like RDS and a display that won't burn out made that worth it.
Can you provide details on this pigtail harness to attach an 01+ stereo into a 98-00 GS3? Does the 01+ have different connector(s) on the back? I recall reading this a while back but can't find any details now.
Old 01-16-19, 07:34 AM
RVAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rossmer View Post
Can you provide details on this pigtail harness to attach an 01+ stereo into a 98-00 GS3? Does the 01+ have different connector(s) on the back? I recall reading this a while back but can't find any details now.
Here is an excellent DIY from iToaster.

I had to make several changes from his instructions based on my FSM set and the FSM wiring diagrams for the 01+ cars - can't recall what they were. I have PDFs on my computer at home that I can give if needed, but it was mostly straight forward. I intend to add a Grom unit to my car for aux and bluetooth streaming. Cannot stand the way aftermarket stereos look in the 2GS cars.
Old 01-16-19, 08:33 AM
rossmer
Driver School Candidate

Here is an excellent DIY from iToaster.

I had to make several changes from his instructions based on my FSM set and the FSM wiring diagrams for the 01+ cars - can't recall what they were. I have PDFs on my computer at home that I can give if needed, but it was mostly straight forward. I intend to add a Grom unit to my car for aux and bluetooth streaming. Cannot stand the way aftermarket stereos look in the 2GS cars.
Thanks any pdfs would be helpful. What is FSM? Will the Grom bluetooth/aux unit still allow the CD changer connection? I'm the last holdout for the silver discs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: