Steering Wheel Never Stays Centers & Bumpsteer - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005)
Steering Wheel Never Stays Centers & Bumpsteer >

Steering Wheel Never Stays Centers & Bumpsteer

Notices
GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering Wheel Never Stays Centers & Bumpsteer

Old 01-14-19, 05:57 AM
  #1  
Mackd1418
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: MD
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Steering Wheel Never Stays Centers & Bumpsteer

My 99 GS3 steering wheel never stays centered . I done changed every front suspension part except sway bar , I changed rack bushing , LCA 1 & 2 , UCA , endlinks , ball joint , tires all that and got an alignment , the problem is sometimes the steering is centered and I might turn a corner or just keep driving next thing I notice steering off to the right or off to the left , never stays center but pretty much track straight until about 70mph is where I start noticing bump steer when going over bumps or anything uneven , kinda feel like the tires are bouncy . I am running 18x8 with 225/45 OEM Lexus wheels in the front and fender is sitting right at the top of the tire .. Coulda RCA help me with this ? Or any suggestions ?
Mackd1418 is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 09:47 AM
  #2  
Arcadian
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ALberta
Posts: 441
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Was going to say rack bushings but you changed those. Hmmm, Upper arms? maybe the upper bushings are shot, or the rack itself.
Arcadian is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 10:42 AM
  #3  
salimshah
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,040
Thanked 256 Times in 249 Posts
Default

Are you trying to self diagnose or the suspension shop has done examination?

Reason I say that is the lift that the suspension shop has can configure loaded/unloaded situations and those guys can easily stress the joints with levers. At home I could not do much other than look for play min the steering link.

I just recently removed the Lower control arm and now waiting to get the alignment. I plan to go to a speed shop for alignment and not one of the speedy chain. Will cost ne 2x.

Salim
salimshah is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 12:56 PM
  #4  
lexo98
Lead Lap
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 746
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Have you checked the tensioner on the steering rack?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...djustment.html
lexo98 is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 03:01 PM
  #5  
Mackd1418
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: MD
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by salimshah View Post
Are you trying to self diagnose or the suspension shop has done examination?

Reason I say that is the lift that the suspension shop has can configure loaded/unloaded situations and those guys can easily stress the joints with levers. At home I could not do much other than look for play min the steering link.

I just recently removed the Lower control arm and now waiting to get the alignment. I plan to go to a speed shop for alignment and not one of the speedy chain. Will cost ne 2x.

Salim
I recently changed Lower control arm , like 3 weeks ago as the alignment shop told me to do it before getting alignment. Didnít take it to a suspension shop though did all the work my self n with the help of some buddies .. I got It aligned at a popular shop , wasnít a chain .
Originally Posted by lexo98 View Post
Have you checked the tensioner on the steering rack?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...djustment.html
i actually tighten the steering tensioner a lil bit which made it a lil better and former .


Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
Was going to say rack bushings but you changed those. Hmmm, Upper arms? maybe the upper bushings are shot, or the rack itself.
I just changed UCA last February with Megan UCA . I was thinking maybe the rack , but it doesnít leak or anything , I installed steering rack bushing last February also . You think it could cause the play like that though ?
Mackd1418 is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: