GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Power steering pump question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 08:11 AM
Erikh17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump question

Aftermarket new pump. Is it okay the ACV is bolted? I notice a port is missing... is that connected to the sensor? Should i get a new sensor? How can i take the pully off without damaging it? Thanks

Last edited by Erikh17; 01-12-19 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 01-12-19, 10:22 AM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Later year power steering pumps did not use the acv and used a electronic pressure switch built-in the line instead.
Old 01-12-19, 11:14 AM
Served
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's ok the ACV port on the pump is blocked. When I replaced my pump I just plugged up the port. I used some thread sealant on the bolt just for good measure. Cap the vacuum ports on the engine the ACV hoses lead to as well and you're good to go.

If it's an aftermarket pump, the solenoid from the OEM pump(with the connector coming out of it) just needs to be swapped over. Need a 32mm wrench to bust it loose. It's on pretty tight. Will either need a vise to hold the pump or just bolt it back on to the car to crack it loose.

Best way to break the pulley bolt loose is with an impact , or just stick a long screwdriver through the pulley to stop it from turning if you use a wrench.
Old 01-12-19, 11:21 AM
Erikh17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Served
It's ok the ACV port on the pump is blocked. When I replaced my pump I just plugged up the port. I used some thread sealant on the bolt just for good measure. Cap the vacuum ports on the engine the ACV hoses lead to as well and you're good to go.

If it's an aftermarket pump, the solenoid from the OEM pump(with the connector coming out of it) just needs to be swapped over. Need a 32mm wrench to bust it loose. It's on pretty tight. Will either need a vise to hold the pump or just bolt it back on to the car to crack it loose.

Best way to break the pulley bolt loose is with an impact , or just stick a long screwdriver through the pulley to stop it from turning if you use a wrench.
thank you for the help. I figured if i rent a pulley remover i could get some caps while i was at advanced auto too
Old 01-12-19, 12:39 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Normally the pulley comes right off once you remove the locking nut, no need for a pulley puller. Just be sure to make the outside of the pulley so it can be installed in the correct position.
Old 01-12-19, 01:57 PM
Erikh17
Driver School Candidate

The pulley came off with a little strength. Was being too careful. Still stuck on the sensor, worried that its going to strip. Awkward positioning when you put it on the car and it wants to strip it, vice grip works to hold it down but still moves. Any advice? Just need to get it off so i can put my car back together -.-
Old 01-12-19, 04:12 PM
Erikh17
Driver School Candidate

Plan is to buy a remanned one from autozone tomorrow and swap the sensor onto the new one
Old 01-13-19, 09:20 AM
Served
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To remove that sensor I just bolted the pump back onto the car, then came in from the top and cracked it loose with the box end of a wrench. Not sure what you need the vise grips for exactly. just thread the connector through the closed end of a 32mm wrench so you can slip it over the hex part of that sensor and it will come loose.

If you buy a brand new genuine lexus pump they come with the sensor just fyi. Might consider returning that aftermarket one and going with the OE pump instead. Thats what I ended up doing after installing the rebuilt one and finding it was pretty noisy. New lexus pump is completely silent.

Last edited by Served; 01-13-19 at 09:30 AM.