GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

exhaust flange bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 06:10 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by cheesemonk
So it wasn't he O2 sensor, it was the welding around it, it had an almost perfect round hole, which I thought was supposed to be there, but I guess not. The gaskets literally fell apart in my hand, but the shop vac was pushing enough to show bubbles and soapy water. I thought it was only leaking from the gasket, but once I replaced them (it quieted down a little the first time) I figured I'd spray everything since it's all kind of rusty down there anyway, and I found another hole.
I mean the gaskets shouldn't be leaking at all, right? It's not meant to let air past it?
The exhaust should have no leaks at the gaskets. Try torquing a little bit tighter. The spec is 33 ft/lbs that I posted above

Last edited by captainva; 01-11-19 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-10-19, 10:13 AM
cheesemonk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha, thank you! I will try to torque them down some more. It's hard to get in there and maneuver around with small jack stands and basic tools.
I replaced the gaskets with Lexus OEM ones, and the hole by the O2 sensor is closed nicely, but it's still noisy. I did the paper test, no air coming from the gaskets or the flange, or the hole I QuikSteel-ed. I couldn't find anything other leaks with soapy water, and I feel like I can hear a bit of a hiss if I shove my head down by the header/cats. I might just change the manifold gasket and see where that gets me. I did the paper test there as best as I could but didn't see anything, and one thing that concerns me is that I didn't hear any "ticking" like most blown gaskets are supposedly supposed to produce.
The noise still appears to be coming from the front passenger tire side of the vehicle, and lower down, like where the flange is. I'm at a loss now.
Old 01-10-19, 12:17 PM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

if your using basic tools...
I think that bolt head is 14m. But use a six sided socket as opposed to the 8(?) sided ones as the fewer sides make for a better grip; less likely to round off the head.

Old 01-10-19, 02:49 PM
captainva
Instructor

Originally Posted by cheesemonk
Gotcha, thank you! I will try to torque them down some more. It's hard to get in there and maneuver around with small jack stands and basic tools.
I replaced the gaskets with Lexus OEM ones, and the hole by the O2 sensor is closed nicely, but it's still noisy. I did the paper test, no air coming from the gaskets or the flange, or the hole I QuikSteel-ed. I couldn't find anything other leaks with soapy water, and I feel like I can hear a bit of a hiss if I shove my head down by the header/cats. I might just change the manifold gasket and see where that gets me. I did the paper test there as best as I could but didn't see anything, and one thing that concerns me is that I didn't hear any "ticking" like most blown gaskets are supposedly supposed to produce.
The noise still appears to be coming from the front passenger tire side of the vehicle, and lower down, like where the flange is. I'm at a loss now.
It could be something related to the header. From my recollection the exhaust manifold comes from that side. Check the manifold too
Old 01-10-19, 06:42 PM
cheesemonk
Driver School Candidate

The manifold looks fine to me. I swear I hear the exhaust leaking from the flange. I'm just going to buy a new header from ebay and see what happens. It hear almost a fluttering during acceleration as well, so I'm thinking it might just be the rear gasket on the header manifold. I hope it is, I don't want to drop $400 right now on a new manifold
Old 01-10-19, 08:03 PM
cheesemonk
Driver School Candidate

30 ft-lbs

32 ft-lb
what gives with the service manual stating two different specs for the exhaust manifold bolts?
Old 01-11-19, 10:59 AM
captainva
Instructor

I was reading in the N*m in my last post and I've changed it to the correct value. The page I posted is actually 33 ft/lbs so basically the same.
Old 01-11-19, 11:08 AM
cheesemonk
Driver School Candidate

Gotcha, okay. I'll make sure to torque down everything properly. The mid pipe side of the flange looks a little worn on one of the two gasket "holders", but there is no air coming out from there any more (confirmed by paper holding, soapy water and shop vac, and holding my hand by the exhaust to feel warm air). I have an odd smell coming from the engine too, almost rubbery or chemically. I'm thinking it's the PB blaster burning off, or something is touching the engine or exhaust that shouldn't.
Old 01-11-19, 11:27 AM
captainva
Instructor

My car has a hot old plastic smell but no where near as bad as my friends German cars. Maybe thats what you smell
Old 01-11-19, 12:56 PM
cheesemonk
Driver School Candidate

Good be! I hope that's the only thing. Thank you for all the help!