GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is a 2JZGTE VVTI swap worth it? Input from owners would be greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 09:52 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is a 2JZGTE VVTI swap worth it? Input from owners would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to get some feedback from folks who have done the gs300 2jz swap and how they liked it. Any issues? Did it meet or exceed your expectations? The reason I ask is because I see a lot of them for sale soon after they have been swapped.

I would like to pick up a 01 GS300 and perform this swap over the winter but I would like some feedback from some of you who have researched it and also some of you who did the swap. I did a sc300 swap about 7 years ago and would like to get back into another 2jz powered Lexus. I would be doing a full bpu setup with aristo rear diff. Hope to run around 17psi through the ceramic turbos.

Thanks and as always your help and feedback are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-18, 12:30 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

If you want the simplest swap platform you need to find a 98-00. if you are not afraid of wiring then you can do the 01 plus.

All of the swaps that I have done are still running and most are with the original owners. Also, the blades on the VVTi twin turbo GTE are not Ceramic!
Old 11-20-18, 04:32 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Thanks for the info Letsride! I was going to look for an early 01 that didn’t have the wiring update. Although I thought most of the 01’s were good. I guess that isn’t the case.

I wasn't aware that the VVTi gte came with steel blade turbos. From research it looks like they still come with the 440cc injectors though. In your experience at bpu, do they run lean over 17-18 psi? How do those cars that you swapped feel with bpu and 17-18 psi? Thanks for your help and letting me know about the turbos. I apppreciate it.
Old 11-20-18, 06:37 PM
Letsride

17-18 psi they will start to run lean.....set a safe limit at 16 unless you upgrade the fuel and spark. And Ill tell you that if the swap is done properly it will be a fun car. Also remember to get and SLDII. and a good wideband
Old 11-20-18, 07:18 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Understood about the 16 psi and the sld2. What is the best piggyback to use with an Aristo ecu if you want to run a 550cc injector. Will 550cc injectors work from a Supra or is there a discrepancy with high/low impedance between the two injectors?
Old 11-20-18, 07:30 PM
Letsride

You can use most piggybacks to control fuel to larger injectors. I would suggest if going with larger injectors just do it right and upgrade the fuel system with new lines and external regulator, new pump etc. If you decide to use the Supra TT injectors you will have to wire in the injector resistor......not really worth the trouble imo!
Old 11-22-18, 03:43 AM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsride
17-18 psi they will start to run lean.....set a safe limit at 16 unless you upgrade the fuel and spark. And Ill tell you that if the swap is done properly it will be a fun car. Also remember to get and SLDII. and a good wideband
First off to answer OP ?’s yes the swap is worth it...

secondly, Letsride, I’ve been trying to tell people for past 2 years that the vvti gte had steel blades and larger turbos than all other GTE’s Supra or not , non vvti or not....

i did a ****ton of research , no one wanted to believe me
Old 11-22-18, 05:36 AM
Letsride

Originally Posted by LexLova

First off to answer OP ?’s yes the swap is worth it...

secondly, Letsride, I’ve been trying to tell people for past 2 years that the vvti gte had steel blades and larger turbos than all other GTE’s Supra or not , non vvti or not....

i did a ****ton of research , no one wanted to believe me
Well you are right. I have had the same argument......mostly from people that have never touched a set of VVTi twins....lol!
Old 11-23-18, 04:17 AM
LexLova
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Letsride
Well you are right. I have had the same argument......mostly from people that have never touched a set of VVTi twins....lol!
I knew that I wasn’t crazy , Its comical that there are decade of threads and information saying otherwise, smaller turbos / ceramic blades etc
Old 11-23-18, 12:36 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

I did my swap 3 years ago. I have put 27k miles on the car since the swap and have loved it. No regrets. I've chronicled most of the journey here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ct-reboot.html

Everyone has different desires and expected outcomes. But for me, this car has hit the mark. I suppose I enjoy it now as much as I ever have. For a couple of years I daily drove the car. For the past 6 months it's been mostly garaged because the wife and I carpool on electricity to work in her car. But being away from it only makes it more enjoyable when I get behind the wheel. I admit that in the back of my mind the idea of going to a manual transmission and the significant cost to do so gives me pause from time to time, as I do long for the ability to shift myself and be away from this old 4 speed auto. The other fact is effectively managing the ECU once I go with an upgraded set of twins or a large single seems/feels daunting. The support for the Aristo ECU isn't near what it is for the Supra ECU community and / or I just have more trouble finding reliable information. Example - I read here that in fact the turbine blades are NOT ceramic. WTF? I've read ad nauseam that if you boost of 17psi on these turbos you're asking for the turbos to obliterate themselves. And now I hear the turbine wheels are stainless? And maybe even bigger than the Supras? (Do tell more LexLova) I suppose it's a good news story because now I need to look closer at what kind of fuel I need if I can in fact run 18-20psi without grenading the turbos.

I've considered selling the car, but nothing really appeals to me more. So I keep enjoying it and putting money into it. That's what you're supposed to do, right?
Old 11-23-18, 04:58 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

My turn!!! I love my 2jzgte vvti swap. Its very smooth and quiet at idle and when boost comes on is awesome. I'm running bpu but with modified intake system for better flow to the turbos. along with a mines ecu that has more aggressive timing curves. along with speed cut removed and boost cut and rpm cut. i know this because ive pushed the rpms to 8k one day. also, since its been colder outside here in texas lately my boost gauge has hit 21 psi a few times now when racing someone and the turbos have not let go. but i do get alot of spark knock at that high of boost. the turbos are just not that efficient at that boost level. there making alot of heat. also the only fuel system upgrade i have is a deatcheworks turbine style 250 lph. fuel pump and even at 21 psi ill still be under 11:1 afr. I'm really on the fence right now about going single bc thats a whole other can of worms. the twins are doing so well. I suspect a 3200 stall converter would be the cherry on top. also, i think alot go up for sale shortly after bc maybe those guys never got all the features in the car working properly and got tired of it. I have literally everything working like factory. i can still turn my traction control on and off and mine is a 2002 gs430.
The following users liked this post:
RICHYRICH (06-30-20)
Old 11-23-18, 05:10 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badblackgs
My turn!!! I love my 2jzgte vvti swap. Its very smooth and quiet at idle and when boost comes on is awesome. I'm running bpu but with modified intake system for better flow to the turbos. along with a mines ecu that has more aggressive timing curves. along with speed cut removed and boost cut and rpm cut. i know this because ive pushed the rpms to 8k one day. also, since its been colder outside here in texas lately my boost gauge has hit 21 psi a few times now when racing someone and the turbos have not let go. but i do get alot of spark knock at that high of boost. the turbos are just not that efficient at that boost level. there making alot of heat. also the only fuel system upgrade i have is a deatcheworks turbine style 250 lph. fuel pump and even at 21 psi ill still be under 11:1 afr. I'm really on the fence right now about going single bc thats a whole other can of worms. the twins are doing so well. I suspect a 3200 stall converter would be the cherry on top. also, i think alot go up for sale shortly after bc maybe those guys never got all the features in the car working properly and got tired of it. I have literally everything working like factory. i can still turn my traction control on and off and mine is a 2002 gs430.

No traction control and a torsen is a better cherry imo
Old 11-24-18, 07:36 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Lots of good information in this thread. I appreciate all of the input that you guys have provided.

KyleH: Thanks for the link to your swap, I found it very interesting and informative. Excellent attention to detail. I will have to post a few questions into your thread.
Old 11-24-18, 03:55 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Car sounds nuts. Are you on 440cc injectors or have you upgraded?

Also, curious because the only thing I have much interest in that doesn't work as original is the cruise control limit. Is there a hack that you have that got yours working >65mph?
Old 11-24-18, 08:12 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes im still running stock 440cc injectors. no have not hacked the cruise control limit over 65mph. I suspect its a safety thing the japanese government prefers to be left alone.

Quick Reply: Is a 2JZGTE VVTI swap worth it? Input from owners would be greatly appreciated.