GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Meguirs did not fix my cloudy headlamps what now

Old 08-15-18, 02:27 PM
sharee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguirs did not fix my cloudy headlamps what now

My sons car that he bought has cloudy headlights I tried this recommended meguirs product and as you can see it did not work...it has white patches on them still too. What would the reason be for this and does that mean new lights have to purchased. The pics look better than in actuality.
Old 08-15-18, 04:29 PM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Asked and answered many times before.
A search will return a plethora of related info.
Check back if you still need help.
Old 08-15-18, 04:37 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

You need to clear coat them.. Anything else is just a waste...
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (08-17-18)
Old 08-15-18, 11:50 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Soapy water in a squirt bottle, squirt the lights then sand with the 1000 grit vertical and horizontal. Wipe off, Then 2000 grit with the soapy water. Wipe clean with alcohol. Spray with uv clear coat. Let dry then wet sand once more with 3000 grit to smooth out the orange peel look after spraying clear coat. Then buff and polish with wax then enjoy your headlights. Never worry about headlights fading again
ShrinkDoc (08-17-18)
Old 08-16-18, 03:09 PM
sharee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did hear

Product used
I have watched and did what was instructed. I wetsanded with 1000 grit and it came white as it should.
Then did it with the 3000 after that thats in the box as well, that did nothing. It should have gotten clear and it did not. I then polished with a buffer with the product it said to use.
Im thinking the lights are not sealed. I do see bugs inside and like i said, there is white patches that seem to be on the other side of each light as well.
Ive done this twice but will try again with the above instructions by buying another pad and also alchohol..

Last edited by sharee; 08-16-18 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-16-18, 04:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Clear coat!!!

You have a choice, either believe a company trying to make money, or believe those who actually want their car to look good.

I believe it was "I" who brought up the UV clear coat for the first time on this forum MANY years ago. As you can see from above... the word got out, and it works.
Old 08-16-18, 11:04 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

You need the proper grits of sandpaper and do it in steps. I had to go from 400 to 600 to 1000 to 1500 to 2500 to 3000 on mine plus 2 to 3 hours on each light assembly. You can not just go from a 1000 grit to a 3000 grit and expect it to turn out great right away, time and patience like I stated in the other thread and they will turn out great in the end. Almost all those pre-assembled restore kits usually need more products than what is in the box so it is best to buy things you need separately.

Are you using the Meguiars PlastiX buffing paste?
ShrinkDoc (08-17-18)
Old 08-16-18, 11:22 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Passenger side before

Last edited by silverbul; 08-16-18 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-16-18, 11:24 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Passenger side before
Old 08-16-18, 11:25 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Driverside after
Old 08-17-18, 02:58 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Follow the instructions from those that have gone before you (many of us have used the methods described above for over 20 years). The Maguiar's was not helpful, so I used the sandpaper method described here and then finished with
Spray Max 2K Clearcoat Spray Max 2K Clearcoat
. The results were almost like new. Don't use any other clearcoat, this is the one that works well and is closest to what is already on your car's paint!

Good luck!
Old 08-17-18, 06:54 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Is that clear coat UV resistant though? It doesn't say it anywhere on the page that I see.
Old 08-17-18, 07:48 AM
mikehalb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds to me like you folks aren't listening to the OP. He stated that the fog appears to be on the inside. No amount of polishing the outside will fix that. You can either read up on disassembling your lights and cleaning them up inside as well as out or just but another set that's in better shape. Good luck. And while many of you might think this guy has no posts just look at the member since date and you will see that I have been around here for 10 years now.
sharee (08-22-18)
Old 08-17-18, 04:40 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikehalb
It sounds to me like you folks aren't listening to the OP. He stated that the fog appears to be on the inside. No amount of polishing the outside will fix that. You can either read up on disassembling your lights and cleaning them up inside as well as out or just but another set that's in better shape. Good luck. And while many of you might think this guy has no posts just look at the member since date and you will see that I have been around here for 10 years now.
LoL he did NOT state "fog appears to be on the inside" he said there are "patches" of fog are on the inside. Nonetheless, his pictures look as if he ONLY used the sand paper and all the other useless crap...

OP: When you put a constant stream of water over the headlights, does it appear to clear up the lenses as silverbul pictures reveal until it dries?

If so, again... Clear coat will handle that. Your pics to ALL of us who have done this looks like the typical look you get after using maguires or any other "restorer". Some folx can get great results from them, either way, it will only last 3-6 months or until the wax itself dries. I for one stopped sanding or doing any other type of crap. I sprayed a cheap $1 clear coat on my lenses and havent had to touch them in about 3 years and they're BARELY beginning to crack. UV spray will last MUCH longer if not indefinite.

IMO, sanding and buffing does NOT have to be done unless there is plenty of damage from rocks or sand to the lenses. The fog comes from the whatever whatever, blah blah blah LoL All I know is that clearcoat over most foggy lenses will do the job.

Sorry, just tired of always trying to explain the science on EVERY thread.

again OP, the above question.

In addition, if there is ANY "fog" on the inside, most likely can be rubbed off by sticking anything through the bulb hole long enough to reach it with something "rag-like" to wipe if off. This of course involves removing the headlight completely to work on it.

My before picture looks very similar to yours after me wasting my time with the same process. I HAD to try retails version of this (even though I knew better) so I could experience what everyone does so I can too explain it doesn't work 100% My after is with cheap $1 clear coat that had been sitting in my garage for 8 years and didnt spray correctly LoL

Old 08-17-18, 10:08 PM
firelizard

Received 420 Likes on 335 Posts

You still need to remove the oxidized plastic or you will just have shiny cloudy plastic. As you can see in the headlight above, the plastic is still somewhat cloudy below the clear coat.

Clear coat will fill and smooth the tiny scratches left by high-grit sandpaper for a clear protective finish. Different clear coats require different prep, so always follow the instructions for the product you've chosen. Some clear coat may not adhere to a buffed or polished lens.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure these headlights do eventually get to a point where the entire thickness of the plastic has become cloudy, or at least too much to remove fully, and there's only so much you can do.

Last edited by firelizard; 08-17-18 at 10:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Meguirs did not fix my cloudy headlamps what now