GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 02:50 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I'm glad someone bumped this thread back from the dead. It was originally posted that the 8-10clicks for extra steering wheel rake would not be saved in the memory. (when you get out and get back in you would have to do it again)

In my case this was true for about a month, but now it just goes all the way down (ie, if I click it 8-10 times, it doesnt go any further!)
I have had the EXACT same experience!!! It now stays permanently in the lowest position!
Old 02-12-06, 09:49 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeattleGS400
Give it a stronger push down, and it will eventually move to the "retracted" position and the hood will conceal the wiper blade from the wind. When you push it down, push it at close to the end of the strong wiper arm (i.e. don't push at the flimsy wiper blade)--if doing it by yourself, push at the driver's side wiper arm. It might be a little hard to do at first, but it will move down. Also, if you want, have someone push down on the passenger side arm as well while you push on the driver's side arm to even the pressure when moving it to the retracted position.

FYI, I move the wiper arms to the "up" position when I wash it, so I can flip the wiper blades away from the windshield.
So, you have to push pretty hard. I dont want to break them...
Old 02-13-06, 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, pretty darn hard. first time i did it i really thought i broke something
Old 02-13-06, 12:36 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Very informative thread
Old 02-13-06, 05:52 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-13-06, 06:49 AM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJ
Very informative thread
My sentiments exactly.
Old 02-13-06, 08:52 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'll add one more:

13. open the moonroof by clicking the moonroof lever button. after the moonroof fully slides open, click it one more time and the moonroof will slide an extra inch. this also help to alleviate some of the moonroof clicking sounds when the moonroof is open.
Old 02-13-06, 01:58 PM
GS SHOTTA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
Recently someone asked me about some "hidden" options on the GS that is not very evident to all GS owners.

I dug up an old post of mine and summarized the basic points: (other CL members and myself have contributed to this data)

1. Hold the unlock button down for more than 5 seconds and it opens up all the windows and sunroof. This can also be accomplished by putting the key in the keylock and turning the key to the right and holding it there for about 5 seconds.tooopen all windows and left to close all windows and sunroof.

2. Driver and passenger side visor can be turned toward the door window to block light from coming in. But in addition it can be extended an additional 6 inches by pulling it towards you.

3. Steering wheel can be lowered even more by holding the down button for about 6 seconds followed by by a couple more pushes which will bring the steering wheel even lower.
To move the steering wheel and extra 1/2in to 1inch in any directions....click the button 8 times in the direction you want it to move it

4. In the glove box, you can get to the Air conditioner filter and clean it out. You can remove the panel by pulling it straight out and than slide out the A/C filter. I could not believe how dirty and filthy my filter was and I was breathing all that ****** when the AC was on.

5. When giving the car to a valet, you can insert the key into the lock and lock it. But you can also lock it without the key. Just push the lock in and the trunk locks itself. To unlock it you would need to use the key.

6. When you turn the auto button on the AC automatically comes on. If you do not want the AC to come on, than turn off the AC so the green light does not appear when the auto button is on. Next, turn on the off switch to switch off the system. Then instead of hitting the auto switch to activate the hvac controls, hit the fan speed swich left or right button. This will turn on the controls without the AC going on and decreasing the power on tap.

7. You can change the defaut sensitivty of the of the carbon filter from 0 to 3(most sensitive) to turn from fresh air to recirculate. This is in the manual...while the car is running and in park, press and hold down the auto/fresh/auto button until a number pops up in the AC display. Use the AC temperature control button to move it up from 0, 1, 2 or 3.

8. Open the trunk manually with key and the trunk light will not turn on, use the trunk remote on key and the trunk light turns on.

9. To turn of your headlights at night, hit the lock button twice on the remote

10. The last is C-best settings. You can change many things around here by the computer the dealership uses. For instance, I had changed the feature that will allow me to press the unlock key on the remote only once to open all the doors not just the driver door.
See attachment for settings:

For 2001 and up owners see this website for a list of Cbest setting that fits your car:
http://members.bbnow.net/txalec/

I tried it and it works, but how do you put it back to winter position?
Old 02-13-06, 02:03 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS SHOTTA
I tried it and it works, but how do you put it back to winter position?
Just pull up with about the same pressure that you pushed down. I tried it today - huge difference.

I'll post some before and after pictures for those who have yet to try it.
Old 02-13-06, 02:19 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn....2+ yrs of owning my car, and only this morning (after reading this post last night) was i able to extend my sun visor to block out the morning sun on my drive to work!! I never wouldve known....
Old 02-13-06, 02:33 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

did anyone try the moonroof trick yet?
Old 02-13-06, 02:47 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

Yea, for only about 1/2" what is the point though? I also didnt like the cracking sound I heard...
Old 02-13-06, 03:27 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, for only about 1/2" what is the point though?
some cars rattle when the moonroof is open all the way, but when you open it up a little more, the rattling goes away.
Old 02-13-06, 03:52 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

I see. That make sense as it moves it back against something.
Old 02-13-06, 04:08 PM
ginjuice
Driver

awesome thread......great hidden secrets.....thanxs

Quick Reply: Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known