GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ecstatic new GS400 owner!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 07:41 PM
Y2KGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecstatic new GS400 owner!

Just wanted to say hi to everyone at CL; I am an ecstatic new GS400 owner. It is a 2000 Millennium Edition (Canadian version of Platinum Edition) millennium silver metallic exterior w. charcoal grey interior, Nakamichi, 17" chrome wheels, and every option except navi, which is fine as I'm used to using my Garmin anyway. 150000 miles, timing belt already changed out, and I can actually smell the leather when I get inside.

Took me over 3 months and 10 test drives to find my ride. All the members here at CL like 1sicklex helped out a lot: I learned more online here than most of the dealers I ran into during my search, and this gave me an edge when I found the right vehicle.

I finally have a car that can do more than I need it to, and I like to push it fairly hard. My GS400 accelerates, brakes, and corners like a sports car and nothing is lacking at all in these areas.
E-shift response is close to instantaneous, I like to cruise in M4 then double-tap down to M2 with all windows and sunroof wide open - just to enjoy the V8 sound.
Don't even ask me what I think of the WOT pushback feeling at around 60-80 mph...we're talking...true...ecstasy!

Look forward to getting to know you guys now that I have joined the inner circle.
Attached Thumbnails Ecstatic new GS400 owner!-2000-lexus-gs-gs400-millenium-edition-sedan-2000-20110729010013.jpg  

Last edited by Y2KGS400; 10-15-11 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-14-11, 08:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL... Glad you found your perfect car. Sometimes it takes awhile but there out there. Looks like you did some good research here on CL before your purchase So much great information on this site. Also, please check out the stickys at top of this page for hidden features, DIY's, and other cool write ups from our members..

Congrats to another GS400 owner
Old 10-14-11, 08:56 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Car looks in great condition! Nice pick up worth the wait
Old 10-14-11, 09:45 PM
cdg306
Rookie

Congrats! I hope to be joining the party soon too!
Old 10-14-11, 09:55 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KGS400
My GS400 accelerates, brakes, and corners like a sports car and nothing is lacking at all in these areas.
You have not driven a sports car evidently. Congrats on the car!
Old 10-14-11, 10:48 PM
Y2KGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vegas
You have not driven a sports car evidently. Congrats on the car!
Thanks for the welcome.

Check out what auto reviewer Bob Plunkett says about the nature of the 2000 GS400 - from here: http://www.thebiglot.com/reviews/200...400_REVIEW.asp

"Punch the accelerator again down another straight, but rein it hard to set up for a tricky off-camber hairpin that leads to a final flat stretch before a last corner near the end of the circuit. Then catch a breath because this run's over and the lap time looks impressively low, thanks to the inherent power and wily nature of a refined sports machine. The irony comes a realization that with this GS sedan Lexus has not only developed a high-performance sports car of world-class stature, but also managed to equip it with such trappings of luxury that it easily out-classes the cushy comforts found in the nearest luxury competitors from Europe."

Vegas, I could provide tons more anecdotal evidence + expert opinion to back up the 'sportscar' claim; but if you own a GS400 yourself and just don't get it, what would be the point?

Last edited by Y2KGS400; 10-14-11 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-15-11, 01:33 AM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new ride. Welcome to the family !
Old 10-15-11, 03:09 AM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

welcome buddy. and congrats on ur pick up.
Old 10-15-11, 05:54 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride! I love the GS400 especially since it has the e-shift.
Old 10-15-11, 06:34 AM
GSLexInTEX
Driver School Candidate

Welcome and grats! Very nice GS! Is that aftermarket tint?
Old 10-15-11, 07:01 AM
jonIllest
Rookie

welcome to the inner circle
Old 10-15-11, 07:22 AM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Thanks for the welcome.

Check out what auto reviewer Bob Plunkett says about the nature of the 2000 GS400 - from here: http://www.thebiglot.com/reviews/200...400_REVIEW.asp

"Punch the accelerator again down another straight, but rein it hard to set up for a tricky off-camber hairpin that leads to a final flat stretch before a last corner near the end of the circuit. Then catch a breath because this run's over and the lap time looks impressively low, thanks to the inherent power and wily nature of a refined sports machine. The irony comes a realization that with this GS sedan Lexus has not only developed a high-performance sports car of world-class stature, but also managed to equip it with such trappings of luxury that it easily out-classes the cushy comforts found in the nearest luxury competitors from Europe."

Vegas, I could provide tons more anecdotal evidence + expert opinion to back up the 'sportscar' claim; but if you own a GS400 yourself and just don't get it, what would be the point?
Well I guess the term "sports car" is subjective. The GS is a fantastic "sedan" but IMO can not be compared to a sports car, they are two different animals.
Old 10-15-11, 07:30 AM
Y2KGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSLexInTEX
Welcome and grats! Very nice GS! Is that aftermarket tint?
Thanks for the compliments, you are right that is a 20% aftermarket tint, also the side marker lights were switched from white to orange. Other than that, car is 100% stock, so gonna need some pointers on how to start some basic mods.
Old 10-15-11, 08:08 AM
Vegas
Pit Crew

so gonna need some pointers on how to start some basic mods.
Before the mods I'd look at the items that need to be replaced if not already done.

If the lower ball joints have not been changed, do it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ll-joints.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...with-pics.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-pictures.html

Also, look at the lower control arms #2, if they have not been replaced, replace them! At 150k they are shot.

If there are no service records for the tranny fluid being replaced, change it. Only drain and fill! No power flushes!

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html

I'd replace the rear diff fluid while your under there.

Power steering fluid often gets over looked which should be replaced.

At 150k you might want to find out if the spark plugs have been replaced or not. If not, go with NGK Iridiums. I used part number BKR6EIX-11 in my car.

As for mods, I feel the first thing a GS needs is a lower stance. Spend alot of time looking into this. The GS is finicky when lowered, parts wear out faster because the very geometry of the lower control arms for example are fixed to work reliably at stock height. You could throw springs/shocks on but if only that count on tire wear issues and a less than desirable alignment.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...r-your-gs.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...and-facts.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...gs-shocks.html

There is a few HP mods like headers/exhaust and intake/ecu combos. I personally run a SRT intake/ECU. That is a proven performer but is around $600. There is a real world improvement there. I'd stay away from forced induction to eliminate alot of money spent and headaches if this is your daily driver. Anyone who forced inducted there daily driver know what I mean.

I hope that helps!
Old 10-15-11, 08:14 AM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

congrats looks nice

Quick Reply: Ecstatic new GS400 owner!