GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 02:43 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 98-00 navi system, the menu button that showed the cruising range, when it ran to less than 1 mile.... I was scared.
Old 06-09-09, 05:32 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
Recently someone asked me about some "hidden" options on the GS that is not very evident to all GS owners.

I dug up an old post of mine and summarized the basic points: (other CL members and myself have contributed to this data)

1. Hold the unlock button down for more than 5 seconds and it opens up all the windows and sunroof. This can also be accomplished by putting the key in the keylock and turning the key to the right and holding it there for about 5 seconds.tooopen all windows and left to close all windows and sunroof.

http://members.bbnow.net/txalec/

I own a 2002 GS300 and i just tried this. I locked the car from the outside and then held down the unlock button and it worked. I then sat inside the car for 15 min messing with the A/C. I then stepped out of the car to show a friend my newly learned window trick. I pushed the lock button for 5 secs hoping that the windows would roll up, i am an idiot i set off the alarm. I then turned the alarm off and hit the lock button, the car did not respond. Also I locked the car manually and when i hold the unlock for 5 secs the car just beeps now, no windows. The little red light on the key is turning red when i hit the lock button. How do i fix it
Old 06-13-09, 04:53 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300-2002
I own a 2002 GS300 and i just tried this. I locked the car from the outside and then held down the unlock button and it worked. I then sat inside the car for 15 min messing with the A/C. I then stepped out of the car to show a friend my newly learned window trick. I pushed the lock button for 5 secs hoping that the windows would roll up, i am an idiot i set off the alarm. I then turned the alarm off and hit the lock button, the car did not respond. Also I locked the car manually and when i hold the unlock for 5 secs the car just beeps now, no windows. The little red light on the key is turning red when i hit the lock button. How do i fix it
the link you quoted doesnt work
Old 06-14-09, 08:40 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i dont know if this is a commonly known item or not but i only discovered it like 1 year after owning my GS (this was a while back)

there is a vent right under the steering wheel column that you can rotate vertically
which can be turned off by turning upward to the end
Old 08-08-09, 03:50 PM
KennedyN
Driver School Candidate

thanks. helped alot.
Old 08-13-09, 02:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i dont know if this is a commonly known item or not but i only discovered it like 1 year after owning my GS (this was a while back)

there is a vent right under the steering wheel column that you can rotate vertically
which can be turned off by turning upward to the end
yeah i found that about when i found the coin tray on the left side lol
Old 08-24-09, 10:22 PM
evilspeed
Driver School Candidate

very useful~~
thankz for sharing~
Old 09-16-09, 10:21 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are there any tricks of the trade with a pioneer deck from an 01-05?
Old 09-21-09, 11:23 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

so there is no way to roll up all the windows using the remote? that sux... if u can roll it down, why not be able to roll it up?

Originally Posted by GS300-2002
Old 09-22-09, 09:10 PM
alzimme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legends6spd
so there is no way to roll up all the windows using the remote? that sux... if u can roll it down, why not be able to roll it up?
Cause if you are 15ft away and a kid is looking in your window or your dog is hanging into your car, you don't unknowingly chop off their heads.
Old 09-28-09, 05:58 PM
EvilAristo
Rookie

What an awesome thread.

I too tried the summer position on the wipers and man what a difference. Makes the car look so much cleaner.

At first they weren't moving down but if you put your right palm on the Driver Side wiper base and then lean over the hood and put your left palm on the base of the passenger side wiper and apply a good amount of equal pressure both wipers will slide right down.
Old 09-29-09, 11:49 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Legends6spd
nah you can put the key door lock and turn it to the lock position and hold it, that will roll up all the windows and close the sunroof.
Old 10-15-09, 07:19 AM
duby1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aka paco
nah you can put the key door lock and turn it to the lock position and hold it, that will roll up all the windows and close the sunroof.

are you sure about that? i tried that.. and no bueno.
Old 10-15-09, 07:20 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

Just went to Chevron for some gas and decided to trying out the subwoofer mod i read on page #11 by JASOD.. FRiGGiN' AMAZING i couldn't believe the difference. Mega bass for free!!. No cracks, pops or distortion..A must do for anyone that enjoys better sounds.

And to chime in with the previous post, yes it does work. I've done all the tricks listed on here, that are non C-best types, and they all do work. Just try it again, maybe you are rushing it. I had to do the woofer mod twice as well.
Old 10-15-09, 07:54 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jesod
My favorite that I haven't seen mentioned is being able to adjust the subwoofer volume and the equilizer setting by hacking into the headunit.
Hold down 1 and 6 push CD 3 times and then hold down the AM button for 4 seconds and adjust and enjoy, you always have to go back to Audio and then shut off the car for the adjustments to work. Toggle between the FM and Tape adjustments from my knowledge P1 ups the sub I usually have mine on 3, 4 or sometimes 5 if I'm feeling really bassy. The F and R I usually have at 5 but sometimes up to 7, this works inversely the higher the number the more it suppresses the front and rear compared to the sub, it's more complicated than that some techie will get on here and yell at me but that's how I can understand it. Helps stock sub tremendously IMHO. I think to get to the NAV diagnostics turn the key to ON then hold the climate and audio buttons down while turning the park lights on and off about 3 times.
Has anyone tried this hack on a Mark Levinson system would like to share about?

Quick Reply: Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known