GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Proud Owner of a ‘98 GS400 :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 09:25 AM
huss11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
Huss,
Yes we do. We take I-77 north up to 421 and make a left. We go there 2-3 times a year to escape the SC heat.
I don't know if you read the link I sent you, number 8 above. If you haven't, since it is long, skip to posts 7 & 9 and you will see what I did this year. I am not sure if our cars share those parts but it will give you a good idea about pricing, plus I included part description and numbers.
I kept everything OEM. It has been over 3 months and I am enjoying her more than ever.
I have all the time in the world so if you need some help, I'll be glad to .
I will PM you my number later, after I finish mowing. I'm taking advantage that it's not raining now.
MD
Awesome! I don't blame you, Doc. I haven't been to the beach there but I have heard a lot of stories.

And yes, I just realized that you messaged your build thread. That's awesome though that your car is OEM...there aren't too many people that actually go out and want to go the OEM route.

Sounds good...please keep me posted as I would love to meet and discuss different build ideas and experiences.

Regards,

Huss
Old 07-14-18, 09:50 AM
NoomJzx
Driver School Candidate

Hello Huss11,

First of all, Sorry for the delay since i'm pretty occupied these days and not being able to stay active that much lately. I'm glad i could be of help. The ride quality differences aren't quiet huge between decent quality lowering springs and coilovers. It's just that, you get the ability to run different ride height and damping adjustments as per your convenience. A wise man once told me to never cheap out on suspension setup, brakes and tires, because these parts play an important role in the driveability. I've been into many situations where serious injuries and collisions have been avoided just by following the same thought.

There are many reputable companies that produce great coilovers and Tein is one of them. I'd recommend you to check their "comfort sport" series as it's popular for it's fair drop level and soft like stock kind of ride with little to no body roll. If you're planing to buy a used set of coilovers then make sure to check everything thoroughly not partially, and rebuilding is a must. On the other hand, just to have an idea, My friend has 2002 BMW 745Li. He's running H&R HR293312G 35mm lowering springs in the front and his car floats like it's sitting on air suspension haha. It was an amazing experience whenever i drove/sat in his car.

I've spent good 4 years of my life with my GS and it's still running strong. Currently my car is on bags with 19" Work Varianza T1S and couple of other mods. The painting and installation of Firesports lip kit is in the process. The car is turning out pretty much as i always wanted it to be.

cheers.
Old 07-15-18, 06:05 PM
huss11
Rookie

Hey Noomjzx,

No problem at all for the late reply. Thanks so much for at least answering back. Ha

And yes you’re right. I love the ability to adjust whenever I would like. I know it’d be hard to do it all the time, but as long as it’s thefe when I need it. Yojre also right about not going cheap as well. I know you mentioned rebuilding coilovers...but how does that work? And do you know by any chance how much it’d cost?

In regards to the tein coils, I actually came across someone selling their comfort sport coilovers. The owner claims to have only drive about 12,000 miles on them and is offering them to me for $550. They do not look bad at all and I’ve done some research on them and that’s kinda what I’m looking for, a smooth and comfortable coilovers that’s not too stiff, since this is my first time getting coilovers on a car. do you think I would need to rebuild those coilovers?

Woah...that sounds awesome. That’s basically what I want to do with my car as well since I plan on keeping it for a long time...so get exactly what I want done...wish I had enough money for bags. Lol!

thabks for the reply again and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice on what to do with these coilovers that I found. Ha! Also, what is your Instagram? Would love to see your build and I can DM you pictures of the coilovers I wanna buy.

Regards,

huss
Old 07-16-18, 11:17 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

To rebuild coilovers you'll need to contact Tein to set up the work order. Then you'll need to ship them to them and they're inspect them, replace anything that needs to be replaced and send them back with the bill. Tein also has a system called EDFC which allows you to adjust the coils electronically while your drive.

As for those coils you found. For $550 if they actually do have 12k on them they'll likely still ride well and thats a pretty good deal but just keep in mind coilovers don't last as long as springs and shocks before they start clunking in my experience.
Old 07-16-18, 12:38 PM
huss11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
To rebuild coilovers you'll need to contact Tein to set up the work order. Then you'll need to ship them to them and they're inspect them, replace anything that needs to be replaced and send them back with the bill. Tein also has a system called EDFC which allows you to adjust the coils electronically while your drive.

As for those coils you found. For $550 if they actually do have 12k on them they'll likely still ride well and thats a pretty good deal but just keep in mind coilovers don't last as long as springs and shocks before they start clunking in my experience.

Hey muffinizer,

I thought that with the rebuilding...any suspension shop could do that. Ha!

And yes...I am not 100% sure that the seller has used them for that little miles but I was in the market and I saw those coilovers. As far as them lasting long...I actually drive quite a bit...around 60-70 miles a day to work and I want the suspension to last for a long time. Do you think I should go with these coilovers that I found? Or should I just switch to looking for a good shock/spring setup? I love springs but I also love the drop that coilovers give me. Also, I would be able to adjust coilovers often or whenever I need to. I also saw that the drop may not be even on both sides with springs. Ideas?

Any help or ideas with my situation would be greatly appreciated guys!

Regards,

Huss
Old 07-16-18, 02:05 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I don't want to give you the wrong idea that coilovers won't last. They will but they will start clunking and wear out sooner than shocks and springs and setting them up properly is a bit of a pain. I have a set of Tein Comfort Sports that came off of a GS400 along with the Tein EDFC but they need to be rebuilt for sure. They ride similar to the factory shocks when on soft but they could be harder when dialing them up.

I went through this when I bought suspension for my GS300 and ended up going with H&R sport springs and Bilstein B8s since its cheaper and what little you gain with coilovers wasn't worth it to me. All together including new front top mounts it was about $850 and I'm really happy with it. The H&Rs are progressive springs so they load up more as they compress which helps to give you a middle ground of good ride quality and better handling and they dropped the car about 1.5" all around. That said the ride is definitely harder and you'll feel more of the bumps but its not harsh in my opinion. With wider tires and bigger sway bars I can haul around corners now and I'm really happy. I think either way you'll be happy but you should just decide if the adjustment is really worth it to you. I had coils on one other car and without the EDFC it was to much of a pain to adjust them all the time so I just set them and left it.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-16-18, 02:15 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

coil overs mostly for show not recommended for daily driving especially over 50 miles