GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil Leak on passenger side. (Pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 04:44 PM
Tallgeese
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak on passenger side. (Pics included)

Hey guys just lookin' for some advice.

2003 GS300
124,850 Miles

My car has recently started to have this really bad burning smell which gets worse when I drive faster. After realizing it was oil I cleaned the oil off a couple of times to try to see what the source of the leak is but this is beyond my knowledge. All I know is that the oil is coming from the passenger side of the valve cover and leaking onto other parts of the engine. Do you think this will be an expensive fix? From what I've read I'm hoping it is just the valve cover gasket or some loose bolts but it probably isn't.

The oil is leaking out and pooling at the bottom.

Second Picture (Are those two holes supposed to have bolts in them?)

Lastly the oil is leaking onto other engine components on the passenger side and burning when the engine heats up.

Let me know if you need better pictures and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I'm going to take it to a mechanic by the end of the week tho.

Last edited by Tallgeese; 03-26-18 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Better Formatting...
Old 03-26-18, 04:56 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The valve cover gaskets more than likely need to be changed. Not a very difficult job but you may want to do plugs and coilpack connectors while in there.
Old 03-26-18, 04:58 PM
Letsride

And also....I would remove the 6 allen bolts holding the top timing belt cover and see if the cam seals are leaking as well. How long did it take to get that oily?
Old 03-26-18, 05:27 PM
Tallgeese
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Letsride
And also....I would remove the 6 allen bolts holding the top timing belt cover and see if the cam seals are leaking as well. How long did it take to get that oily?
Let's just say I've been driving it longer than I'd like to admit because I was low on cash and didn't know what to do or how much fixing it might cost. I think I'm capable enough to do some car work (changing front/rear brakes, changing my own oil). Do I need any special tools or will a ratchet set do? Is there a tutorial on this site I should look for or should I just go to Youtube? It doesn't look like the valve cover gaskets are that expensive and I'll definitely look into the oil possibly leaking on to the spark plugs. I certainly hope the cam seals aren't leaking.

Also thank you for responding so quickly!!!!!!!!

Found it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...300-is300.html

Last edited by Tallgeese; 03-26-18 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 05:13 AM
Letsride

Yup....that DIY will help you out.
Old 03-27-18, 10:23 AM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

That is almost a fire hazard waiting to happen with that small pool of oil on a hot exhaust manifold. Get those valve cover gaskets changed asap.

It is a good time to change the spark plugs, spark plug wires, PCV valve, the 3 coil pack connectors as well as clean out the throttle body since you will have it all dissembled if you have not done so. Just a extra tip be careful when removing every electrical connectors as they are usually very brittle and locking tabs like to break off.
Old 01-25-19, 08:30 AM
meaux
Driver School Candidate

I'm having this EXACT same problem. The oil is NOT coming from the valve cover gaskets. It is coming from in between the head and exhaust manifold. Tallgeese what was the fix for you?
Old 01-25-19, 10:23 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Its almost certainly is coming from the valve cover gasket. Mine looked exactly like that before I changed them
Old 01-25-19, 11:32 AM
meaux
Driver School Candidate

The oil is NOT coming from the valve cover gaskets. I just changed them and the area directly below the valve cover gaskets is dry. I can see the oil leaking out from between the head and exhaust manifold.
Old 01-25-19, 05:09 PM
exxonham
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also make sure you use two small dabs of RTV to the top corners, I didnt do this once and I couldnt figure out why it was still leaking, but ya just two small dabs at the half circle of the cams int he front should work.
Old 01-26-19, 06:30 AM
JonGS3
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsride
The valve cover gaskets more than likely need to be changed. Not a very difficult job but you may want to do plugs and coilpack connectors while in there.
It's not hard but definitely time consuming. I think mine took about 5 hours. I would also recommend changing the heater core hose that runs from between the valve covers to the firewall. Mine started leaking a few months after I did the VCs and it was a ***** to change with the valve covers in the way.
Old 05-01-19, 07:27 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by meaux
The oil is NOT coming from the valve cover gaskets. I just changed them and the area directly below the valve cover gaskets is dry. I can see the oil leaking out from between the head and exhaust manifold.
If you are seeing oil leaking out between the head and your exhaust manifold then you have some serious blow by. you would see plenty of oil in your exhaust manifold, which means your rings or your valves are letting oil into the cylinder(s)
Old 06-18-19, 08:56 PM
kinggs300
Driver School Candidate

Default I have something like that too

Can you guys help me with this

Is this the same issue?
Old 06-19-19, 08:38 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by kinggs300
Can you guys help me with this Is this the same issue?
That is almost certainly your valve cover gaskets
Old 06-19-19, 09:36 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Just interesting reading this thread... we once had an oil pump o-ring leak that dropped a quart every 100 miles. Now that was a leak... : )

Quick Reply: Oil Leak on passenger side. (Pics included)