GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another Subwoofer Post

Old 02-22-18, 12:51 PM
2JZandME
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Subwoofer Post

Just bought a infinity Subwoofer off someone parting out a crashed GS300. Since my ML Subwoofer is blown out.

Plan on following the instructions from this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nt-w-pics.html

I'm also going to test my previous speaker and the new one before fully installing them. Anything I should know ahead of time or worries??

Old 02-22-18, 01:55 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

All you need is about an hour and some patience. I actually followed the steps and glued the foam padding on the sub for my 2GS but it's starting to rattle again. A while ago someone recommended the Rockford Fosgate P3D2-10 Punch. Since my commute is so short now (about 10 min) I barely get a chance to listen to the stereo anymore though lol.
Old 02-22-18, 04:09 PM
2JZandME
Driver School Candidate

It is a Infinity 1060w Reference Series 10" 4-ohm subwoofer, I'm worried its going to be too much for the stock amplifier, I know it's been in a previous lexus so it should just plug and play buy anyone know specifics?
Old 02-23-18, 04:07 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZandME
It is a Infinity 1060w Reference Series 10" 4-ohm subwoofer, I'm worried its going to be too much for the stock amplifier, I know it's been in a previous lexus so it should just plug and play buy anyone know specifics?
Search this site. Answers are here. PLUG and play for an aftermarket sub... you're far off
Old 02-23-18, 06:06 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

you will need an amp
Old 02-23-18, 07:47 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

If I'm remembering right the ML sub is 8 ohm so you'll need an amp no matter what if you go aftermarket or you'll blow the stock amp
Old 02-23-18, 10:02 AM
2JZandME
Driver School Candidate

If I'm remembering right the ML sub is 8 ohm so you'll need an amp no matter what if you go aftermarket or you'll blow the stock amp
Thanks, thats what I was afraid of.
Old 02-23-18, 10:51 AM
captainva
Instructor

If you're just looking to replace you can do something similar to what I did:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ggestions.html

My factory sub blew out so I was just looking to replace it
Old 02-23-18, 05:18 PM
2JZandME
Driver School Candidate

If you're just looking to replace you can do something similar to what I did:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ggestions.html

My factory sub blew out so I was just looking to replace it
Ok I see your sub and amp install; did you pair that added amp with the ML amp or just replace it?
Old 02-24-18, 11:18 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Just bought a infinity Subwoofer off someone parting out a crashed GS300. Since my ML Subwoofer is blown out.

Plan on following the instructions from this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nt-w-pics.html

I'm also going to test my previous speaker and the new one before fully installing them. Anything I should know ahead of time or worries??
As noted, the ML sub in 2nd Gen GSs is 8 ohm. The amp may not be happy with a 4 ohm replacement.

Could you be more specific on how your original ML sub is "blown out"? If the issue is that it's making rattling noises, it may be that the foam surround has rotted away. This is quite common after several years. It is possible to remove the old foam and glue on a new one. I did it with mine. The improvement was impressive and the repaired sub matches the stock amp and bolts right in, something you won't find with most replacements.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/lexus...t-fsk-10m.html
Old 02-24-18, 01:57 PM
English66
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to https://www.simplyspeakers. and got the Lexus GS 10 inc woofer repair kit. Followed the instruction and re foamed my woofer. Its been 7 months of hard bass playing and good so far....
Old 02-25-18, 03:40 PM
captainva
Instructor

Ok I see your sub and amp install; did you pair that added amp with the ML amp or just replace it?
​​​​​​
like I said in that thread I linked, the wires to the factory subwoofer are connected to the line level in of the new amp. The amp then powers the new subwoofer. Hopefully this helps.

I would not hook any aftermarket sub up to the factory ML amp. They go for hundreds used so it's not something you want to replace if you can avoid it.
Old 02-25-18, 10:25 PM
2JZandME
Driver School Candidate

Did the swap for the 10’ infinity 4 ohm subwoofer. Still on the stock amp. Systems seems good so far enjoying a car that has working bass
Old 02-26-18, 03:35 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Did the swap for the 10’ infinity 4 ohm subwoofer. Still on the stock amp. Systems seems good so far enjoying a car that has working bass
let's see how long that last...lol. Being cheap initially always end up costing more in the long run. Good luck.
Old 02-26-18, 05:06 AM
jhnyct
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by English66
I went to https://www.simplyspeakers. and got the Lexus GS 10 inc woofer repair kit. Followed the instruction and re foamed my woofer. Its been 7 months of hard bass playing and good so far....
This is exactly what I did a couple of months ago. It sounds good but I was surprised at how small the ML sub magnet was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Subwoofer Post