GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help with P300 check engine code?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 01:33 PM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
These are the NGK plugs I've found based what others have used. Are these what you would suggest as well?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KETDFYA...1P6B5Y4K&psc=0
I don't belive those are the "right" ones either. the factory ones look like this. pay close attention to the electrode-
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-27-18, 11:51 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Well, I worked on the car some today. All I was able to get done was to remove the OCV filter and clean it. That took longer than I had expected because the supply line was stiff which made it hard to get the bolt back in and the crush washer just happened to find the only small opening in my rag to get lost in the engine compartment, luckily after a long time searching I found and was able to retrieve it. My coil pack connectors still haven't made it here yet so I decided to wait on replacing the spark plugs for the moment. This morning when I drove the car over to my dad's garage it ran just fine, then after working on the OCV valve I drove over to my friends house who has a code reader so I could clear the check engine. The car ran good from my dad's over to my friends house as well but once I left his house the car was running bad again. No check engine lights but it was definitely misfiring. Guess the spark plugs and coil connectors are going to have to be next but I'll have to wait until next weekend to give it a try. The clip for the wires on the OCV broke off when I barely touched it so I know there is a lot brittle plastic in the engine compartment. The plug for the OCV still made a reasonable connection but I zip tied it together just to be on the safe side. I'm wondering if I can just replace the OCV wiring clip just like the coil clips?
Old 01-28-18, 01:30 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes you can.

Heres the toyota PN for the connector for the OCV. 90980-11162
You can search that number and find substitutes cheaper obviously!
The following users liked this post:
caverman (01-28-18)
Old 01-29-18, 04:03 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

The coil connectors came in today. My biggest concern with them is that the wires are already connected. I hate to cut the wire on the original harness. I was actually thinking about the clips on the drive home from work and wasn't sure how I was going to pull the wires out of the old clips and then saw that these have the wires already once I got them out of the package. They showed to have the wires connected in the pictures where I bought them but I was hoping the wires weren't already connect. I guess I'll just have to cut the wire on the original clips as close as possible and then make sure to get a good solder and use heat shrink tubing.

I'm just hoping this resolves the issue. Out of curiosity I called a local mechanic shop just to see how much for them to change the plugs, I figured it wouldn't be too much more for the clips since most of the work getting to them would already be done. I also asked how much of the spark plugs since they said they don't install customer parts. $285 labor for spark plugs and $25 ea plug.....LOL, I paid $6.50 per plug.
Old 01-30-18, 06:36 AM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
The coil connectors came in today. My biggest concern with them is that the wires are already connected. I hate to cut the wire on the original harness. I was actually thinking about the clips on the drive home from work and wasn't sure how I was going to pull the wires out of the old clips and then saw that these have the wires already once I got them out of the package. They showed to have the wires connected in the pictures where I bought them but I was hoping the wires weren't already connect. I guess I'll just have to cut the wire on the original clips as close as possible and then make sure to get a good solder and use heat shrink tubing.
You don't need to cut the wires. There is a way to release them from the clip. There should be a tutorial on youtube. I'd link it but don't have time to find it atm...